Vasteras Iron Eagles Press Conference

rjfryman

So this is the location for the Vasteras Iron Eagles Press Conferences:

Notes on Press Conferences. 

You can ask 3 questions for 1 TPE. You can ask 6 questions for 2 TPE.

You can answer 3 questions for 1 TPE. You can answer 6 questions for 2 TPE. 

You can answer any question in this thread or in other threads, they can be old to the team as long as they are new to you.

You can only earn 2 TPE in a week from Press conferences no matter what combination you choose above.

Week ending September 26, 2021

1. With this being the inaugural season of the VHLE, What do you think of the VHLE as of right now?

2. The Eagles, imho, had a good draft, which of your team mates are you most excited to see play this season?

3. What are your goals for this season as a player, team, and organization?

4. What is one crazy thing that has happened to you or a team mate since joining the Vasteras organization?

5. What is your pregame ritual?

6. If you could give an award for best team mate so far who would it be and why?

@CowboyinAmerica @diamond_ace  @DollarAndADream  @Doomsday @dshervill @Enorama @FBR @Hendrix Cobberson @leafsman @Peace @Spade18 @StormJordanYT @TheTiptonKing @ThomasSyster @WildfireMicro @Willy Myers 

Edited by rjfryman

1. With this being the inaugural season of the VHLE, What do you think of the VHLE as of right now?

It's very balanced so far.  I think the whole season may be like that as everyone is starting fresh and has the same resources.

2. The Eagles, imho, had a good draft, which of your team mates are you most excited to see play this season?

Xavier boobery.  Defenseman and the goalie are usually a close group but we have both also been drafted by Helsinki so hopefully we play together for a long timem

For the team it's to win the cup. For me its to be in the top 10 in hits and top 10 in d scoring.  

4. What is one crazy thing that has happened to you or a team mate since joining the Vasteras organization?

The fact that I am currently in the top 10 in scoring in the league  not just defenseman. I am more of a hitting and defense first player but putting up points right now.

Listening to music and taping sticks is a big part of my routine.

6. If you could give an award for best team mate so far who would it be and why?

Hard to say but will go with Xavier boobery for helping us have a great defense so far with his excellent play in goal.

It's fun to be between the VHLM and VHL, season just began, so tough to have an opinion on the league as of now. It's very high-scoring.

Saku Kotkakoivu, did well with us in Mexico last season, can't wait to see what happens a level above.

Goals and a trophy at the end, nothing less.

The traveling was a bit hectic going from Mexico to Japan to Vasteras, but other than that, nothing out of the ordinary. Yet.

Same routine everyday, tape my sticks first, same way, same colour, get dressed and be the last to get on the ice. Nothing too crazy other than that.

Calamari, very active in the locker room.

Grabbing for this week

I'm enjoying it so far. As to be expected with the inaugural draft, the teams are very close. It'll be an exciting one with a lot of back-and-forth down the stretch.

It's not too often you get two top five picks on the same line. It's going to be fun to see Kotkakoivu and Peace play off each other this season.

It's pretty straightforward: It's all about winning. I want to be the first VHLE champs, and I think we've got a good shot at doing that.

Have you ever tried lutefisk? They tell you it's a Scandinavian custom and you have to at least try it. Trust me on this one: don't.

It's all about zoning out and getting in game mode. Some guys like to get hyped, but I go the other way - calming my mind gets me focused.

Armani Calamari has definitely been the most vocal in the locker room, and I appreciate that. I think he's going to be a star with how engaged he is.

So I’m going to ask someone questions And do a podcast on what makes this team so amazing!

1.) how does it feel to be on a team that carries so much vhl history and was reborn in the the vhle?

2.) what does being involved in the first season of a new league mean to you?
3.) what do you think sets your team apart from others
4.) tell me something fun about your player

5.) any crazy team traditions
6.) tell me about your fav player/ bestie on the team

Edited by BladeMaiden

5 minutes ago, BladeMaiden said:

So I’m going to ask someone questions And do a podcast on what makes this team so amazing!

1.) how does it feel to be on a team that carries so much vhl history and was reborn in the the vhle?

bonus

1. What would be the theme song of this team?

2. Your goal celebration song or if a goalie a big save /shutout anthem!

3. What has been your favorite memory this season ?

4. Which TV show or movie would you compare this team to?

5. Which character would you be if you were in that tv show or movie?

6. outlandish team trip is planned where are you going snd what shenanigans are y’all upto?

7. Who causes the biggest scandal, what did they do?

I'll be answering as both me and my player Armani Calamari 

1. Armani: it feels extremely special! Definitely a lot of history there

2. Armani: It is awesome! It is like being a part of history 

3. Armani: how much we support each other and keep each other on the right track

4. Me: his name is pretty fun, but he also likes making BBQ on the grill

5. Armani: we like to caw loudly after we score a goal

6. Armani: I can't choose honestly. I don't puck favorites often

2 hours ago, BladeMaiden said:

bonus

6. outlandish team trip is planned where are you going snd what shenanigans are y’all upto?

1. It means a lot. Seeing this franchise come back and the others like the Cologne Express who have their own dominant VHL era, I think it benefits the league for sure. It gives new members the opportunity to see the histories of what these teams used to be, and to be able to suit up and put that storied jersey on.

2. It's definitely cool. My first thought is that I want to win that inaugural cup.

3. I mean, look at us in the standings. We're 1st place with a -8 goal differential. I think that shows that we have a lot of fight in us and that we can bounce back after bad games.

4. He was created in a lab by combining together Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Saku Koivu.

5. Is it weird that our hype ups in the locker room pre-game and after scoring goals is to make eagle sounds?

6. How dare you force me to pick a favourite! I love my whole team. I tell you one thing, it's funny having Booberry in net. When he makes big saves, the crowd goes, "BOOOOO!!!". They cheer him with boos.

I'm claiming this next week, just wanted to do it now to help Blade with the podcast:

It's wild - it would be wild even if I wasn't on the team, frankly. I've been pushing for Vasteras to come back ever since even before they were gone, since I thought (and still think) it was a horrible decision to get rid of the league's villain. I hope this team's able to pick up the mantle.

It was a main reason I recreated, honestly. The chance to make some history always appeals to me, and I'm glad I'm around to give it a shot.

This team has like 3 GMs, 2 or 3 former GMs, and other members who have been here a long time. The amount of VHL experience here is actually kind of absurd.

I think I've settled that he's a literal ghost from the family on the Boo Berries cereal. Which you would think wouldn't make a good goalie, but you'd be wrong.

There's an actual eagle that we have as a team mascot, and being as cold and dark as it is, we also have a lot of booze flowing around. If the eagle has a sip or two of beer after each win, who's to say...

You'd think there would be a goalie rivalry, but Oskar Lindbergh and I get along real well. We're pushing each other to do better, which I think will only help when we're two of the top goalies in the league in a few seasons.

Week ending October 10, 2021

1. What would you rather have if given the choice of one of these. To have your name on a new VHLE Trophy b/c you were so good, or having your name on the first ever VHLE Cup.

2. History is important but looking to the future is more so. What goals do you have for your player in the VHLE and beyond. 

3. The team Psychologist works with everyone on Vasteras as a part of making everyone not just the best player but the best version of themselves; What are you working on with the team psychologist?

4. Vasteras is never really out of any game, which teammate do you look to when we are down and our backs are up against the wall.

5. Now that we have an ACTUAL EAGLE as our team mascot, what is their name, nickname, and any weird thing that happens with them? (Can the GWG take the eagle home for the night?)

6. We have a couple days on holiday soon. The GM says don't get into too much trouble and asks you guys to go in groups of 4-6 so that you guys can keep each other in line. Who do you bring and what trouble do you get into?

@CowboyinAmerica @diamond_ace @DollarAndADream @Doomsday @dshervill @Enorama @FBR @Hendrix Cobberson @leafsman @Peace @Spade18 @StormJordanYT @TheTiptonKing @ThomasSyster @WildfireMicro @Willy Myers 

Edited by rjfryman

1 hour ago, rjfryman said:

Week ending October 10, 2021

1. What would you rather have if given the choice of one of these. To have your name on a new VHLE Trophy b/c you were so good, or having your name on the first ever VHLE Cup.

2. History is important but looking to the future is more so. What goals do you have for your player in the VHLE and beyond. 

3. The team Psychologist works with everyone on Vasteras as a part of making everyone not just the best player but the best version of themselves; What are you working on with the team psychologist?

4. Vasteras is never really out of any game, which teammate do you look to when we are down and our backs are up against the wall.

5. Now that we have an ACTUAL EAGLE as our team mascot, what is their name, nickname, and any weird thing that happens with them? (Can the GWG take the eagle home for the night?)

6. We have a couple days on holiday soon. The GM says don't get into too much trouble and asks you guys to go in groups of 4-6 so that you guys can keep each other in line. Who do you bring and what trouble do you get into?

@CowboyinAmerica @diamond_ace @DollarAndADream @Doomsday @dshervill @Enorama @FBR @Hendrix Cobberson @leafsman @Peace @Spade18 @StormJordanYT @TheTiptonKing @ThomasSyster @WildfireMicro @Willy Myers 

1. Thats a tough one but I say the Cup.

2. To win a few awards and titles really 

3. They are helping Armani get over slight homesickness 

4. Guys like Kyle Peace for Armani 

5. The person who scores the GWG gets to feed the eagle

6. Armani goes with Kyle, Shaggy, and Willy and has to drive them home because he does not drink

The cup as I'm all about cups.  I want to be one of the first players to win a cup in all 2 leagues.

To win as many cups as possible.  My player isn't going to put up big numbers so I will judge success on cups.

To help me not get as down when we lose and things aren't going well.

Probably Kyle peace as he's our biggest offensive threat right now

The player of the previous game takes the eagle out hunting the next off day.

Go to a bar and start a fight like soldiers used to do when the went to taverns hundreds of years ago.

1. What would be the theme song of this team? - Life In the Fast Lane by the Eagles... with all the big names on this team, it's quite appropriate.

2. Your goal celebration song or if a goalie a big save /shutout anthem! - The satisfaction of seeing the look on someone's face that thought for sure that they were going to score has always been enough for me. 

3. What has been your favorite memory this season? - I'm hoping we've yet to have our biggest memory... and we'll have many more on our way to it!

4. Which TV show or movie would you compare this team to? - Cheers - everyone knows each other well and it's all one big family. 

5. Which character would you be if you were in that tv show or movie? - Right now, an extra. I need to get involved more to earn a bigger role and more screentime.

6. Outlandish team trip is planned where are you going snd what shenanigans are y’all upto? - Probably a massive marble tournament, enjoying life's real thrills. 

7. Who causes the biggest scandal, what did they do? - Tynan Sylvester loves his marbles, and is very heavily emotionally invested in them. I could see him getting a little too into the action and making a scene. 

1- my hand written theme song that convinces the GM to draft me. I am a fan of Vasteras and hope to play here next season.

2- dirty deeds by ACDC

3- playing in Mexico city has been fun but we are falling down the standings lately. Still be a fun time.

4- catdog. The best of both domesticated animals.

5- the dog half lol

6- extreme mini putting competition. It can get crazy.

On 10/10/2021 at 11:23 AM, BladeMaiden said:

1. Gotta agree with Dooms here. Life In the Fast Lane by The Eagles.

2. My goal song would be Barbie Girl. I want opposing teams to hate it when I score.

3. The amount of 1-1 sims we've had. I think our good memories are ahead of us.

4. Sons of Anarchy. We're an Eagles biker gang, taking down whoever doubts us. :P

5. I'll take Jax.

6. We're all going skydiving to soar like an eagle.

• 3 weeks later...

Week ending November 7, 2021

1. How would you say the first ever season of the VHLE went?

2. What was your favorite memory of the team?

3. If you could change one thing about the league, team, whatever what would it be and why?

4. Given we are down 3-1, what do you realistically see as our chances?

5. We took out the top team in the first round; what do you think was the most memorable moment in that series.

6. What is your big take away from this season?

Edited by rjfryman

1. How would you say the first ever season of the VHLE went? - It could have been better, but it was my own fault. I didn't do what I needed to to get more playing time, but it has still been a great time in Vasteras!

2. What was your favorite memory of the team? - How supportive everyone is of each other. No matter how big or small a player's contribution, in the locker room, every single person on this team matters. 

3. If you could change one thing about the league, team, whatever what would it be and why? - Retroactive welfare application for... reasons. 

4. Given we are down 3-1, what do you realistically see as our chances? - The 3-1 Curse is real, we are still very much alive.

5. We took out the top team in the first round; what do you think was the most memorable moment in that series. - The final buzzer, the feeling that you've won and are moving on as you storm over the bench onto the ice is absolutely euphoric. 

6. What is your big take away from this season? - When I apply myself, I can succeed. 

I think it was a pretty good season so far and can turn into a great one if we complete the comeback.

2. What was your favorite memory of the team?

I hope it will be coming back from 3-1 to win the cup but for now it's the game 7 victory.

3. If you could change one thing about the league, team, whatever what would it be and why?

I would probably look at changing to a different sim.  Players are too similar with this one and if you make a checking player they just take stupid penalties.

I think we have a great chance. We've played well in most loses and they could've been turned to wins with a couple bounces.

5. We took out the top team in the first round; what do you think was the most memorable moment in that series.

Just hearing the horn and knowing that we had the first series victory in VHLE franchise history.

If I can improve my passing then I will be q more rounded defenseman who can help create opportunities for the team m

2 hours ago, rjfryman said:

1. It was pretty good overall 

2. So far the playoffs 

3. I would make the league put more emphasis on LR activity 

4. We have a chance, no matter how small

5. The 3 straight wins after being down 0-2

6. That the VHLE has the potential to be a fun league 

15 hours ago, rjfryman said:

1. I'd say it went pretty good. Most teams were so close to each other, which is expected in an inaugural draft I would say.

2. Coming back from a 2-0 series and taking out Stockholm. Hopefully we repeat that against Rome.

3. Switch up the sim, maybe. That's a big and tough ask though, to convert a whole league. SHL did it and had many troubles.

4. I think we have a great chance. Games have been close.

5. Completing the comeback from a 2-0 series.

6. The VHLE is a fun place to be. Guys around me in the draft jumped straight to the VHL, but I've had fun here.

• 3 weeks later...

1. What are your personal goals for this season.

2. What is something you would change about the vhl. 
3. What do you think is the most important thing about being a good player in the vhl.

4. If you could get any individual award which would you like the most. 
5. what do you think is the key to having a good team.

6. Your player has a full week off and can go anywhere in the world. Where do you go?

1) Personally, I look forward to just playing in the E and trying my hardest to do everything better than last season.

2) Maybe the time zone lolol. It's a little off-putting as an Australian, but it's certainly manageable.

3) Probably dedication. It's important to find time to do the tasks or even just be a little active in my opinion.

4) The dream is to grab a Shaw trophy in the VHL.

5) I think the key to having a good team is a lot of active players and positions being filled out. Having an active starter, top line, and top pair is the key in my mind.

6) Tadhg likes being a homebody, but he has always wanted to go camping in the Canadian wilderness.

1) what is your favorite thing about hockey.

2) if you could think of one way to show people why defense is amazing what would you show them.

3) When you think of the most competitive thing with hockey what would you say would be the hardest thing to master.

4) If you could build your own sim engine what thing would you focus on more than what STH does now.

5) Stats are hard, what is a stat that you would like to see tracked that is not currently tracked.

6) Given the face that Vasteras didn't have many draft picks that resulted in players this season what would you like to see for next season.

1) What do you think is the most important factor in your enjoyment of sim results

2) How would you feel about live sims, where text and some pictures of the players on the ice were updated live and taking around 10-15 mins to sim an entire game.

3) If you could change one shortcoming of sth what would it be

4) Do you like advance stats what is your favorite.

5) If you could do any one thing in your career in the vhl what would you say would be the goal for you. 

6) What is your favorite points task, and why?