My Ideas to improve Locker Rooms

Masu Chan

Good evening VHLers. With recent articles it got me thinking about what makes the Reaper's locker room so fun for me. I personally enjoy the people who share my locker room and Alex does a great job getting my teammates involved in the activities. We have several activities like a pokemon thing that the more you chat the more your Pokémon grows which I find entertaining. Not everyone knows right away how to set up that pokemon chat but it's another fun thing to do.

A trivia game or something would also help almost every locker room and maybe GM's can arrange a Trivia night once a week or every two weeks. Maybe even have a new Server specifically for the trivia night for a league wide game open to all teams so they can go there and chat with the other players around the league? This could help the locker rooms that feel empty due to inactive players or the teams that just have a lack of players.

One way he does this is by having a daily simulation award known as the Reapers key. I am not saying the idea was originally Alex's but it is a good one. A daily award that helps get your players active as they are the ones who award the key to whoever they thought did well. It also helps them to get familiar with their fellow teammates.

I'd suggest that all GM's around the leagues have some sort of award like this if you don't already have one. It may help keep people active and engaged as well as bring a little bit of friendly competition to your players.

Ontop or this for the VHML I would suggest that we implement a system I saw a few of my fellow VHLers suggest a while ago. The system no longer allows you to trade picks for players and rather just have player for player trades around the league making sure each team has a semi-full roster.

I'm sure there's also a way to achieve this through waivers somehow. For example the lowest rank team gets to make a waiver claim for any new player joining the league. Something like that could work, I'm not really an expert on stuff like this and wouldn't know how that rule would be enforced, especially if multiple people join the league at the same time.

I'm also sure that people have thought of these ideas before, some of my ideas I have personally seen suggested a while and perhaps they haven't been implemented for good reasons. This is just what I personally thought and I'm sure there's more and better ways to improve the league then what I have recommended. 

Thank you for reading this and if you have any other fun ideas that can be implemented feel free to comment or if you make a longer post like this feel free to leave a link to it in the comments and I'll read it. Also remember this in no way is me attacking the VHL or calling out anyone specifically. I am just trying to find cool ways to get people active and make sure everyone is having fun. Have a great day and thank you once again!

-Masu Chan

543 Words

Review:

Great read and great suggestions on how to improve teams locker rooms. It's always great to have discussion and solutions offered up on how to improve activity around the league, especially now that majority is done over discord. A few suggestions I would make for this media spot is maybe add a picture and also space out your paragraphs. Spacing them out will make it easier to read other then that great article! 9/10

2 hours ago, Masu Chan said:

I'm sure there's also a way to achieve this through waivers somehow. For example the lowest rank team gets to make a waiver claim for any new player joining the league.

This was exactly how the S1-SXX OG system worked! And the very same thought went through my mind as I was puzzling out how to balance roster sizes in the M, but ultimately I think new members having some immediate agency in which team they get to join is probably the better system (That way you and all your friends/recruits can swarm the Reapers at will ;) ).

There does need to be some kind of solution to roster imbalance though, especially since it's such a stacking problem. You want to give new members a positive initial experience, and you can't do that by signing them onto your team with three players, so you don't sign them, and then you have 3 players all season. Perhaps we implement a roster minimum, maybe allow some inactive player signings, and perhaps add a system so a single team can't sign "X amount" more new players via free agency than the team that has signed the lowest amount. So the team struggling to sign new players could theoretically be the only team eligible to sign a player at certain point if every other team in the league has signed "X amount" free agents and they haven't signed any. Once they finally sign a free agent, every other team could be eligible to sign one again. This isn't a perfect idea at all, but it's something.

REVIEW:

Overall very good read.  I wish you could have spaced out the paragraphs, but them not being spaced out automatically is an issue I have too with copy and paste. Locker rooms not being as active as I want is an issue I have with a lot of the league tbh.  I do think that having new ways to engage everyone could be a good way to make them active again.  Some spelling mistakes do lower my score a bit, but still good read

8.5/10

REVIEW:

Love to hear that the Reapers' locker room is active! I think the VHLM easily has the most active locker rooms on the site. The daily award does sound like a good idea to keep the team active and interacting with each other. As far as waivers and roster sizes, as Jardy said, there's a balance between competitiveness and engagement that can be a really fine line in the VHLM given the high roster turnover. The league used to do something similar to what you suggested, but it was gradually changed to the system today to continue to give more player choice and control over your own player.All in all, never be afraid to make a suggestion on what you think would improve the league.

9/10

Edited by Fire Vigneault