LA Stars Press Conference

Josh

• Josh changed the title to LA Stars Press Conference

Press Conference for week starting July 20th - end July 26

1.  You have been selected to be part of the very first LA stars team how do you feel?

2. what is one goal for your player this coming season?

3. How do you think our team will do this year? will we make the playoffs?

4. Looking around at your teammates who do you think will put up the most points?

5. If you could rebuild your player what would you change?

6.   Cats or dogs? why

2 hours ago, Brewins15 said:

1.  You have been selected to be part of the very first LA stars team how do you feel?

4. Looking around at your teammates who do you think will put up the most points?

6.   Cats or dogs? why

First of all, I'm honestly very excited, though it's unlikely for me to play this season because I'm still playing in the VHLM, it's really exciting to be part of a new team.

Well I know I won't be playing with LA for this season so I guess it's to make a nice run in the VHLM and prepare to make the jump by then.

I honestly don't think we'll make it. It's an expansion team and even if we do make it, I doubt we will go far.

I think Sigard Gunner or Markus Nygren could totally put up the most points.

I would probably put more emphasis on scoring instead of passing.

6.   Cats or dogs? why

I am more of a cat person. I just think they're a bit more cuter than dogs. Dogs are still nice though.

(Also first)

Honoured to be the first entry draft selection by the team. Hope we can get some work done, now or in the future!

Rookie of the year or bust

Absolutely not. I'd rather have a chance for another lottery pick this year and get another stallion in the future.

Gunnar led the playoffs in scoring, so I'll go for him

99 CHECKING 99 FIGHTING

6.   Cats or dogs? why
Dogs are the best. Cats are little house tigers that pretend their in control. Dogs know their place

Pretty good honestly. I was feeling a little overlooked lately, what with Seattle forgetting me on the roster list, and not being really considered a top expansion target. For @Josh to select me so early in expansion draft felt pretty rewarding. Obviously my players have a history of under performing, but that was usually do to me being weird build wise. Markus has a more tradition successful build, had a pretty breakout season and on top of that I had a 4 season contract already signed. It was nice to be recognized for the value I could bring to LA regardless of what directions Josh decides to go in.

Lead the league in hits. My build is two way focused, and with me aiming to max checking pretty soon, combined with way more minutes than I got down the depth chart in Seattle, it feels like a realistic goal.

I think we may have some fun shocking wins, but it's heavily unlikely given how thin the rosters are that any expansion team makes the playoffs.

Gunnar or Barabash Jr. Even if I have more point success this season I think build wise they are going to be the focus of most of our offensive threat.

Hmm maybe invest more evenly in scoring and passing early on, as opposed to catching scoring up after more of a pure playmaker build wasn't really doing much with limited minutes.

6.   Cats or dogs? why

Dogs. The why is easy. Dogs are simply more loyal, owner focused creatures. There is just as much evidence that humans didn't just domesticate wolves years ago, but also that some wolves became smart enough to be loyal to man in an effort to get a consistent food source. I know for some just how domesticated they are now, where as house cats still are known to be a bit more wild in behavior is seen as a weakness. But for me that loyalty is the whole reason to have the pet. Man's best friend is the slogan for a reason.

On 7/20/2020 at 10:53 AM, Brewins15 said:

1.  You have been selected to be part of the very first LA stars team how do you feel? - I feel kind of good about myself although I’m trying to realize that I’m no longer with Calgary. 

2. what is one goal for your player this coming season? To become an all-star

3. How do you think our team will do this year? will we make the playoffs? Based off of how we’ve done so far it looks possible

4. Looking around at your teammates who do you think will put up the most points? - myself

5. If you could rebuild your player what would you change? - probably less strength more skating

6.   Cats or dogs? why - flip of the coin dogs, because they’re more loyal, easier for them to become more used to the owner, they are more defensive, easier to train, more active. 

Press Conference July 27th - August 2nd

1. How do you think the team is doing so far? Better or worse than expected?

2. As of today Sigard Gunnar has the most points of the team were you expecting this?

3. what is the teams biggest weakness?

4. what is your players biggest weakness?

5. If you had to rate your players performance so far 1-10 (10 being incridble) how would you rate it?

6. what is your favorite animal and why?

I'm very happy with the results that the team has been getting. Lots of people probably pegged us to be bottom feeders but I'm glad we're making noise. You gotta wake up early in the morning if you think we're just gonna lay down and take the losses.

2. As of today Sigard Gunnar has the most points of the team were you expecting this?

Yeah that's exactly what most of us said last week. Gunnar puts in a lot of work both on and off the ice, so I'm glad he's getting rewarded come game time.

Goaltending is a little weak, but I know the team has their full faith behind LAS G1. He's always trying his best and never shows any emotions on the ice, then kinda just disappears before we get back to the locker room. It's kinda weird that he gets his own locker room, because Bjoernsson comes to ours. I don't know, I'm not the kind of guy to ask questions about team ops.

I'm not much of a physical player. I like to keep my game mobile and away from the big players on the ice, haha. Some of the guys on the ice could probably eat me as part of a healthy breakfast.

5. If you had to rate your players performance so far 1-10 (10 being incridble) how would you rate it?

Going into this season I really wanted to at least be a finalist for the Stolzschweiger trophy, and I think I've been playing well enough to still within striking distance of top 3. Lots of familiar faces from the M last season competing and I think if I play this season like I did in the playoffs, I'll be lock.

The beautiful mountain goat wins my vote. Fun fact about mountain goats, they are more closely related to the domestic cow then they are to the domestic goat. How an animal that large can still maintain their balance in the rockies is beyond me.

I'd say about as expected for me? Our roster despite some inactives is about decently full. On top of that we are pretty much the only expansion team with an comparable first line to that of some of the top teams. Us being a just outside the playoff box team within striking distance of making it is about us this season. But that also means one key game could get us in too.

Hell yeah. I wasn't expecting him to lead the league as well but he's a factor in most of our games he's going to be our best player this season no doubt.

Probably goaltending. Even if we make the playoffs it would take highway robbery by LAS G or offensive explosion for us to go deep.

Right now PIMs. I'm decently at scoring enough now and getting results there that I'd say my high checking count makes me a penalty hog. I'm like second in PIMs already, but 3rd in hits so whatever it's worth it lol.

8 probably maybe a 9. I knew Markus would be a bit better after finding something last season just due to the minutes and role responsibilities, but he's doing better than even I imagined sitting well over a point per game atm. Gunnar and inactive Barabash Jr carrying him to point totals lol.

Hmmm. Probably a wolf, although Elephants are up there too. The why, I like the pack mentality of wolves, I find it fascinating that several mammals seem better structured as a species socially than some aspects of human culture. Wolves can be harsh though too and seeing various forms of cinema on the working and living relationships that tribes and people around the world have formed with Elephants is super fascinating. They are basically family members in some cultures in Thailand even today, when most Western folk would consider the concept entirely too wild.

6 hours ago, Brewins15 said:

1. How do you think the team is doing so far? Better or worse than expected? - I’d say better than I’d expect 

2. As of today Sigard Gunnar has the most points of the team were you expecting this? I’d like to say I expected this. 

3. what is the teams biggest weakness? I’d say we need to stop letting the other team score, most of our games are shootouts, so it’s really if we’re the ones with a hot hand

4. what is your players biggest weakness? I’d say physicality isn’t what it used to be

5. If you had to rate your players performance so far 1-10 (10 being incridble) how would you rate it? 10

6. what is your favorite animal and why? I’d probably say a pitbull terrier, because I have one lol

On 7/27/2020 at 2:29 PM, Brewins15 said:

I honestly think the team is doing better for an expansion franchise. The boys up in the big leagues aren't great standings wise, but we're currently the best expansion team so far. Still a great honor to be part of LA's system.

I honestly started to get to know guys who've played in the VHL ever since I got drafted by LA, and with that in mind, I did kinda think Gunnar was gonna be the leader in points as I kinda got to know him more

A lack of depth and goaltending in my opinion. Although the team has been pretty good for it's inaugural season, the goaltending really needs some work.

It probably is my size. Some people are frickin' giants and it's a bit hard to defend against them when you're much smaller.

I'd say a solid 7.5-8. I may be downplaying myself a bit, but I've had a solid season in the VHLM and I'm on my to VHL after this season. I've already gone past my career best in points and have been setting up my team, but there's still much to learn. I honestly can't wait to play in LA.

Birds are probably my favorite animal. They're so adorable sometimes and I like the idea of teaching them how to chirp hockey style.

Press conference August 3rd - August 9th

1. The Stars are currently the best expansion team in the standings. Does this surprise you at all? 

2. What is our teams biggest Strength? 

3. What VHL team is doing better than you expected? 

4. What one of the Stars players do you feel is under preforming?

5.  In the season 74 draft what types of players should we draft. (ex. Scoring build right winger)

6. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life what would it be?

1. The Stars are currently the best expansion team in the standings. Does this surprise you at all? 

Not really. Our forward core is stronger then a couple of non-expansion teams in the VHL, and if we wake up on the right side of the bed we can cover up our weaknesses. 

Sigard Gunnar is our biggest strength. Man just pumps out points like a 1900s English cotton manufacturer

It's weird seeing Davos as anything but mediocre, but I'm glad to see them at the top of Europe.

Hate to cop out and say myself, but I've been pretty underwhelmed with my performance as of late.

5.  In the season 74 draft what types of players should we draft. (ex. Scoring build right winger)

I think we could use a nice offensive defenceman to quarterback our huge PPs. Someone with huge awareness to really make our lines bang.

My time in Mexico City really got me hooked on guacamole, and LA has some good Mexican joints around town, so I guess I'd go on a guac only diet.

I'm not surprised we are the best expansion team no. Even if we have slipped to the spot with the other expansion teams it was pretty clear on paper we had the most competitive roster heading into the season of the expansion clubs. 

Top performance by some of our top line players. Our forward core in general is something that you may see on a retooling former contender with a healthy mix of middle of the pack age wise players clearly about to break out for their final seasons but still some time left to help out, and younger players who need a season or two. If it wasn't for our the holes on D and in net we'd pretty much be one of those retooling/prepping for a run teams, so as it stands we kind of are retooling through a rebuild. 

Davos. I thought they'd be a solid team this year but probably be more middle of the pack than they are. They are tied with Moscow in the standings now, but still right there only 6 points back of the top team in points. It's very clearly been a competitive season amongst the entire EU which to be honest feels overdue. 

Hate to pick the rookie but Jeffrey Pines has hit a bit of a slump. As has a majority of our forwards of late as we've been playing top teams and shot totals have started to skew more out of our favor. 

We need an offensive defensive to man the PP. I think you can get away with putting a younger player in that role if it's a good pick and they are ready to make the jump. We probably may hedge our bets and look in goalie as well, even with Drew Minott likely ready to step in and play starter next season as he continues to develop. 

Ugh. A...calorie mate or some sort of military rashion that includes all the required ingredients to live? I feel like this used to be a more fun question before you get old and realize your body hates you if you just "eat what you want" and not like...cover your bases from a nutrients perspective. If health wasn't an issue then I'd probably go with donairs. It covers a pretty broad spectrum of ingredients, is a trash style food that tastes hella good and you can load it up on toppings our sauces depending on the mood. 

Press Conference August 10th - 16th

1. We are over half way through the season. Opinions on the season so far?

2. This week is theme week how do you feel about the topic at hand?

3. Should we make any pickups at the trade deadline? If so who?

4. What is ideal when it comes to sitting next to someone in the locker room? what do you want and don't want from a guy next to you.

5. As being apart of an expansion team how do you feel your team was set up for success. Did the manager in your opinion do a good job? what could of been done different?

6. Where is one place you would love to travel to?

August 17- August 23 Press Conference

1.  The season is slowly coming to a close. How do you feel about LAs first season so far?

2. In the upcoming draft what player do you think La should obtain?

3. is the team doing better, worse or the same as how you expected?

4. Your AGM announced that she would be stepping down after the season. You're thoughts?

5. what has been a frustrating thing this season?

6. if you could change your players name what would you change it to?

On 8/18/2020 at 9:42 AM, Brewins15 said:

August 17- August 23 Press Conference

1.  The season is slowly coming to a close. How do you feel about LAs first season so far?

4. Your AGM announced that she would be stepping down after the season. You're thoughts?

I think they've done pretty well so far. I think it's a good start for an expansion team and they've proven that they can go up against some of the other teams in this league.

I'd say some more defense. We do have a pretty young D-core coming up and it'd be nice to add on to that. Otherwise I'd say a center could work as well.

The team is doing better than I expected. With the emergence of Bot Goalie (Who I personally think is the current GOAT of LA), and Gunnar having a great season so far, the team is going to be a potential contender sooner than I thought.

It's sad to see her leave but I honestly just wish em the best of luck and hopefully she'll be back soon.

I'd say it would be my recent inconsistency in terms of point production in the VHLM. Ever since the world juniors, I've been scoring less in terms of points and it's getting a bit frustrating. I think I'll be able to pull through though.

Oh it would definitely be something like Suka Mycack or something similar. If you get it, you get it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissioner

1. Alright, it's the off-season... how would you summarize the teams inaugural season?

2. Which way do you think we should go (or should have gone) with the 5th overall pick?

3. It looks like Gunnar might have gotten beat out at the last second for the Slobo, how do you feel about that?

4. What are you working on improving this off-season?

5. Any free agents you'd be excited about picking up?

6. Were you surprised that the Bears won the cup... again?

1. Alright, it's the off-season... how would you summarize the teams inaugural season?

I wasn't paying much attention to the Stars prior to getting drafted to the franchise, so I cannot speak on any expectations that might have been hit or missed last year. As an expansion team if you can  find one or two guys to build around you are in a good place. Pines and Gumballs took big steps last year, so I would say last season was a win for development. 

2. Which way do you think we should go (or should have gone) with the 5th overall pick?

Picking up an elite talent at goaltender is a great selection for a young team. There was a lot of elite talent available, but an almost 300 TPE goalie doesn't come along every draft. 

3. It looks like Gunnar might have gotten beat out at the last second for the Slobo, how do you feel about that?

It appears he won from his player page. I mean great for a young team to have such an impactful player in year one, also helped out his trade value for the off-season. 

4. What are you working on improving this off-season?

As a guy that prides myself in my defensive play, I will continue to work on that aspect of my game as i enter my rookie season. 

5. Any free agents you'd be excited about picking up?

Not at this point of our progress as a roster. Using the money for bonus when we have a young roster is the better way to go. 

6. Were you surprised that the Bears won the cup... again?

Again from not really focusing on the VHL as a VHLMer, I was surprised a bit, but with the leadership off and on the ice that roster possessed, it didn't surprise me in the end. 

• Commissioner

1. Which team do you think won the draft?  

2. We're into the season a little bit now, what's you biggest takeaway from these early games?

3. Which player do you think is taking the team scoring title (just on the Stars)?

4. Doug posted a shutout against NY. Is he happy about that or sad? :P

5. You get to pick any player in the league and add them to the Stars, who is it and why?

6. What should the name of the Stars arena be?

8 hours ago, Josh said:

2. We're into the season a little bit now, what's you biggest takeaway from these early games?

3. Which player do you think is taking the team scoring title (just on the Stars)?

4. Doug posted a shutout against NY. Is he happy about that or sad? :P

5. You get to pick any player in the league and add them to the Stars, who is it and why?

1. Clearly us. Our studs are looking insane.

2. We've had our ups and downs but my main takeaway is I can still get a 5 point hatty vs the team that gave up on me.

3. I have the lead at the moment but Neal and Yama could just as easily win.

4. I'd say happy, stats over progress.

5. Just won a cup with that Sundqvist dude, seems like a solid option.

6. The Planetarium.

As much as this pains me to say this, but I think Vancouver won this past draft. Getting Thightrap and Rune at 3rd and 4th was a big pick up for the roster. Add in Sandstrom later in the first, and Couture early in the 2nd, that was a decent draft for them. 

We are in a lot of games till they very end, we need to continue to grow and gain more conditioning to make those turn our way.

Kiak, especially if he continues to get 4 and 5 point games throughout the season

4. Doug posted a shutout against NY. Is he happy about that or sad? :P

I mean he might not get too many more shutouts this season, so he should be happy even if he was the GM of the team lol

I know he is nearing the end of his career, but Guy Sasakamoose, just because of the name. He's also a very good all around defenseman. 

Stardome. 

I actually do think we have to be a top contender for this. Traded to get 3 roster players out of the first 20 picks of the draft. Sneaking that second into a roster player after trading to get Green basically on the defense. While that is really all that happened given the antics of our last draft pick

That we have some growing to do as a team but that we also have some strong rookies and a brighter future now than we did last season. Our schedule has been tough to be sure and we've had some good clutch wins against some tough teams especially as we've gotten settled. But we still are an expansion team and that'll still show sometimes. 

Kiak is the most likely, but don't count out Ryo Yamazaki either, underrated scorer. 

4. Doug posted a shutout against NY. Is he happy about that or sad? :P

Probably a bit of both. NY is still a good team despite losing ARG to retirement. But his goalie is having a solid start for us and honestly that probably feels good regardless of the opponent. 

Condor Adrienne. Self-explanatory haha! @OrbitingDeath

The Hollywood Garden

• Commissioner
  1. Not too long until we get to the TDL, who do you think makes the biggest moves?
  2. Which team has the best logo? Best name?
  3. Do you think anyone on this team is going to be the first member of the Stars HoF and get their jersey retired? 
  4. We're 2nd last place in the standings, how do we fix it?
  5. I think we can all agree that Chicago is overperforming, why do you think that is?
  6. Do you play hockey in real life? What position do you play or would you play?

1. Not too long until we get to the TDL, who do you think makes the biggest moves?

Probably Toronto, they had enough ground to make up that they probably don't mind some sort of trade or shake up to really push them over the edge. However there are a few other contenders who are in a similar position and some who also lost some players to retirement last season that could just be waiting for the cap discount to make a shift. 

2. Which team has the best logo? Best name?

For me it remains Moscow, although I also really do like the Stars, Nighthawks and London's logo's overall makeup. Oddly expansion heavy but the new logo's still have that new shine on them. 

3.Do you think anyone on this team is going to be the first member of the Stars HoF and get their jersey retired? 

It's still too early to tell for most of the new guys, and the older roster players like myself have far too many scrub seasons for HoF material. I think if Pines rides out his career here he could really turn into something special, while not "on fire" he still had solid enough rookie season that if he explodes in the later half of his career he could be HoF worthy. If he does it all with LA no less then the jersey retirement just makes sense.

4. We're 2nd last place in the standings, how do we fix it?

Get better as the season goes along, keep updating, maybe make a trade if the right move is there to make us a bit more competitive. It's clear the loss of Gunnar has hurt the teams offense so some sort of offensive presence either from the blue line or on the top six probably could help get us started a bit more. 

5. I think we can all agree that Chicago is overperforming, why do you think that is?

STHS. That's really the start and end of it, but they did have a solid draft and improve over the off-season. They are just getting some unreal play right now from some key positions and are absolutely over performing. They will likely fall from grace, but early hot starts like this generally mean that "fall" isn't as hard as one might think. If anything probably a signal that Chicago was a bit better than people gave them credit for, but they aren't going to maintain or make the playoffs, that would be a big stretch imo.

6. Do you play hockey in real life? What position do you play or would you play?

Used to play street hockey, never really like had the social circle otherwise to play real hockey. I wanted to, I always played goalie and was one of the few people who like, enjoyed to do so. I have decent hand eye and was halfway alright at goalie when I was a kid. I also benefitted from people never wanting to play the positions when I was younger as well in the street games we'd play.