VHL Holiday Charity Auction call for items

bigAL

Wow, it's December already. Wild eh?

For those that are new here, Christmas is a special time at the VHL. There's lots of fun games and uncapped opportunities floating around, but what really makes it special are the good deeds we do for others. 

Last year, our VHL Holiday Bonanza was a biggie. My favourite part of that was the Charity Auction, and that's going to start right now. Take a look at last year's sub-forum to get an idea of what that's all about. Essentially, members offer up whatever they can or want to offer to others, and the rest of us bet real world money (okay, just Canadian dollars, but still). The highest bid at the end of the week, wins! 

In this thread, please post your suggestions for both charities to donate to and things you're willing to auction off.

Charities:

- Broader is better. We're a highly diverse community, and so donating to the Oshawa SPCA is less meaningful to everyone than an organization that's Canada or US wide.

- Timeliness is nice. There's a lot of shit happening in the world right this second, so something relevant to this day and time is meaningful.

- Geography doesn't (really) matter. Last year, we aimed for one charity in Canada and another in the US. Share whatever you think we should donate to, regardless of where it is.

- There's no bad ideas in brainstorming, but the staff team will have the final say on which we choose.

Auction items:

- We had an awesomely creative auction last year, check out the subforum for ideas for this year. It's okay to repeat things.

- Staff will have the final say on which volunteered items make it to the auction. We will not select things like muting poor @Dil for the rest of his life. Could you imagine if he didn't take that like a champ and disappeared forever? I wouldn't blame him.

- As always, everything must be SFW.

Donations:

- When you bid on an auction item, you are agreeing to pay that amount in full.

- You can donate to the League (which will forward it onto our chosen charity) OR you can donate to a charity of your choosing, and post the receipt as proof.

- @Beketov had a great idea: one place that's very in need around this time of year is the blood banks. If you donate blood, you will get up to $10 in donation credit. 

Other Holiday events:

Last year was wild, there was so much going on. Big ups to our man @Quik for putting that together. 

One highlight last year was the Marbles, Trivia, and Fundraising Twitch Stream run by our very own streammaster@Esso2264 . He's generously agreed to donate his time again for an evening of good fun and fundraising. We'll finalize details closer to the date, but we're planning around the weekend of December 18/19.

Once we get the items for the charity auction sorted, we'll set fundraising goals and share the corresponding rewards for hitting each goal. 

So, happy holidays! I know we're smack-dab in the middle of Hanukkah, Christmas is right around the corner, Winter Solstice is coming up, it's an exciting time. This month, more than ever, we need something to celebrate.

edit: yeah, y’know what? This is worth a @Members tag. 

• Commissioner
11 minutes ago, Horcrux said:

IF ALLOWED

Ill auction off my services for 12 TPE

ill write you an MS
VHL.com
and Presser answers

We unfortunately cannot allow people to do TPE earning tasks for others.

Just now, Beketov said:

We unfortunately cannot allow people to do TPE earning tasks for others.

Shucks. i dont know what else i can do haha

Okay, 

Ill put up the choice of my next five updates*

(the next 5 after the action closes) 

48 TPE worth of updates, you choose whatever stat you want 👀

Edited by Horcrux

11 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

If I put in a Clue based graphics endorsement campaign for any player/inanimate object, I'm pretty sure @MubbleFubbles has to bid on that bad boy.

Well if anyone outbids me for that, they’ve definitely earned their place on Team Clue!

———————————-

As for me, people may have noticed I’ve been doing Draftee TPE Visualizers for the Season 81 and 82 draft classes. For the drive, I’ll be willing to make a visualizer for the winning bidders choice of draft class

Edited by MubbleFubbles

Just now, MubbleFubbles said:

Well if anyone outbids me for that, they’ve definitely earned their place on Team Clue!

———————————-

As for me, people may have noticed I’ve been doing Draftee TPE Visualizers for the Season 81 and 82 draft classes. For the drive, I’ll be willing to make a visualizer for the draft class of the winning bidders choice.

The more the Cluier! But really the Clueception of The Board Game Clue on Skates in a Clue ad would just be glorious.

Auction Item: I will make a sig for whomever would like one.

Charity Idea:

No one knows this about me but a person extremely close to me has been battling childhood cancer for the first 6 years of her life. My thoughts would be to donate to a foundation like Make-A-Wish to help grant kids wishes who are going through the same struggles in their life. 

12 minutes ago, MubbleFubbles said:

As for me, people may have noticed I’ve been doing Draftee TPE Visualizers for the Season 81 and 82 draft classes. For the drive, I’ll be willing to make a visualizer for the winning bidders choice of draft class

Can you do historical seasons? I’m sure @dlamb would want to flex his S73 dominance

2 minutes ago, bigAL said:

Can you do historical seasons? I’m sure @dlamb would want to flex his S73 dominance

I sure can! The only caveat is I can only do up to when the portal was used for updating but any draft class created after that is open for me to use!

Alrighty, here we go - I am giving up for auction a simple thing: I will write a fantasy themed article about any team in the VHL/VHLE/VHLM with your choice of player as the main character and then do a podcast reading it in the most artistic way possible! 

Here were some of my favorite ideas from last year:
- the different "packs" and "lootbags" offered by various people. People offered various skills (joining on a podcast, making a graphic, writing an article about someone etc.), and that was a fun way to interact with people

- control of discord/forum names for iconic people

- being a guest on a draft stream. i'd love to see this one come back

As for charity donations, I absolutely love @Beketov's idea to include blood donations. That's a great way to include folks who want to give but don't have much by way of financial resources.

I'd like to see us give to mental health charities. We've had a lot of people this year come to the forums to start conversations about their own trials with mental health, and I think it would hit home for people here. The past two years have been really hard for a lot of the world, and it's not going to get easier. It'd be an added bonus if we could find organizations that focus on underrepresented peoples (e.g., BIPOC/Queer people).

35 minutes ago, Horcrux said:

Okay, 

you thinking something like this?

https://vhlforum.com/topic/96527-spend-its-guccis-banked-tpe/

• Commissioner
34 minutes ago, Horcrux said:

Okay, 

Holy you may regret that one but it could be fun haha

23 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

My thoughts would be to donate to a foundation like Make-A-Wish to help grant kids wishes who are going through the same struggles in their life. 

Our first charity drive from 2019 was actually in support of Make-A-Wish so while I love the cause we'll likely want to pick a different one.

1 minute ago, fishy said:

yes but my TPE wont be banked

every week when the updates get accepted ill message the person who wins and they tell me what to update. 

if they want me to bank for a 48 TPE Dump then i will 

• Commissioner
Just now, Horcrux said:

yes but my TPE wont be banked

every week when the updates get accepted ill message the person who wins and they tell me what to update. 

if they want me to bank for a 48 TPE Dump then i will 

28 to fighting, 20 to leadership :P

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Our first charity drive from 2019 was actually in support of Make-A-Wish so while I love the cause we'll likely want to pick a different one.

Looking through the donation drive posts, I'm seeing that we've donated to Make-a-Wish, Spirit North and ACLU, and Food Banks Canada and Feeding America. Am I missing any?