Rookie Rundown - Who Is Halifax's New Defensive Signing?

ForeTwenty

6WVDQAhf9C6TvKiawjc7ORXI2ve71OwYkNxXRf4l4q8OHhgRF_S6LPI242YsXHweYgShGC_RUctl6rUUpOXKsthNg_YJ7ZiXvUvwkaqWREJtT3JwYhoHPSLbkM6K54ZpZq9q3BN1

Rookie Rundown: Who Is Halifax’s New Defensive Signing?

Eaton Kuch is a young, talented kid from the rural communities of Northern Ontario.  His upbringing in hockey differed from most who typically make it to this level.  He didn’t actually play his first game of hockey until he was 14.  You wouldn’t have known if you had the opportunity to see him play in his minor career.  He led the league in points, with 119 in just 55 games.  He would lead his team to the international silver stick, which is where he first came onto my radar.  Watching him play out there, I knew I had to keep an eye on this kid's career.

The next season, Eaton signed with the London National’s, a Jr. B club in the GOJHL.  This may have been a mistake, as he hadn’t quite filled his shoes out yet.  Now among bigger and faster players, Eaton would have to advance his game if he wanted to compete in this league.  His first season with the team was nothing of note.  He played third line minutes, only scoring 17 points in 64 games.  This was nowhere close to the numbers the coaching staff was looking to see out of him.   It was time for Eaton to step his game up.

That next summer, Eaton stayed in London to train with the coaching staff and team.  I went out to one of their scheduled practices near the end of the summer to see how some of the returning players were looking prior to the season.  I barely recognized Eaton when I first walked into the brisk air of the arena.  He looked much taller and had put on some significant muscle mass.  I was looking to catch him after the practice to ask him about his hopes for the season, but I had to settle with talking to his coach, Colin Martin.  I asked him what he thought about Eaton, and what he expected from him in the coming season.

“He’s (Eaton) a good kid.  He works hard everyday, and he is always trying to find areas to improve his game.  I am really proud of the steps he has taken this summer to bring his game up.  We had him lifting a lot this summer to make him more solid out there.  As for what I’m looking for out of him though.  Well, one side of me hopes we have brought back the kid we saw Silver Stick.  The other side just wants to see him make progress.  He is still young and his shot is still very much alive.”

Eaton absolutely exploded in his sophomore season.  Scoring 98 points in 68 games. With his increase in size he was back to his ways of the outdoor rink.  He would go on to win league MVP the next season, as he almost single handedly dragged the Nationals to a  Cherry Cup.  Unfortunately they weren’t able to seal the deal, and lost to the Listowel Cyclones. It would be his amazing efforts of the season that caught the eyes of some VHLM managers, signing a contract within 24 hours of entering the Free Agency.  Now much like his coach from the nationals, we can only hope that Eaton Continues his ways while playing for the Halifax 21st.

Word Count: 550

Week: Dec. 6 - Dec.12

Good stuff @ForeTwenty, it's really nice to see you get right into it with the TPE opportunities, capped and uncapped. You definitely look like you'll be going places.

The league currently has a pretty sizeable defenseman deficit as well: 

So whether you knew it or not, you picked the perfect position. If you keep up the kinda work you're showing early. The sky really is the limit.

The piece was nice too. I always enjoy reading these kind of backstories of the players. It really fleshes them out and gives you a more immersive experience, imo. 

Edited by Shindigs
Added ping

3 hours ago, Shindigs said:

Good stuff @ForeTwenty, it's really nice to see you get right into it with the TPE opportunities, capped and uncapped. You definitely look like you'll be going places.

So whether you knew it or not, you picked the perfect position. If you keep up the kinda work you're showing early. The sky really is the limit.

The piece was nice too. I always enjoy reading these kind of backstories of the players. It really fleshes them out and gives you a more immersive experience, imo. 

I've been a d man my whole life, just seemed suiting for my first player.  The role play I think is one of the coolest parts about the forum too, it really is fun coming up with the stories! Thanks for the feed back, love to see it!

Review time: I have to say I really enjoyed reading this, I enjoy the prospective you went with and it's good coverage of his previous experience in hockey. There's highs and lows here for the player and I enjoy that. I like the the picture and going with bold was an interesting choice for the whole post, though personally I think italic is an easier read and just looks nicer. Good quality post 9/10

On 12/11/2021 at 5:25 PM, Shindigs said:

Thanks for the ping, was happy to see more D in the mix, the key is keeping them engaged! Treat this one well, looks like he is a keeper ;)

On 12/12/2021 at 7:38 AM, ROOKIE745 said:

Review time: I have to say I really enjoyed reading this, I enjoy the prospective you went with and it's good coverage of his previous experience in hockey. There's highs and lows here for the player and I enjoy that. I like the the picture and going with bold was an interesting choice for the whole post, though personally I think italic is an easier read and just looks nicer. Good quality post 9/10

Thanks for the feed back, I appreciate it. And I'm not going to lie, the all bold was a stoned mistake lol