Cadmael's Blog 2 - Xocolotl!

Vice

3TE0zkN.png

This holiday season, everyone tends to do more cooking and I wanted to share a recipe that is shared among my dad's side of the family. It's a drink that native Mayans used to make and it's basically just a twist on hot chocolate! It's only fitting that because people are calling me "on fire" with my last 4 point game, that I share a spicy drink!

So from my family to yours: ¡Feliz año nuevo y felices fiestas!

Recipe

Xocolatl
Size: 2 coffee cups worth of cocoa

Time: 20 mins

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups hot water
  • 1 green chile pepper (most stores have this, otherwise check your "hispanic" section of walmart or whatever you got)
  • 4 cups warm water
  • 1/4 cup of cacao powder (we use natural cacao but if you want it sweeter, use the Hershey's cocoa powder)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract

Step 1: Boil the 1 1/2 cups of hot water. Add the green chile pepper, seeds and all. Let the pepper boil in the water for 10 minutes. Strain the pepper and seeds from the water and keep the water.

Step 2: Mix pepper water and 4 cups of warm water and bring to a slow boil on medium-low heat.

Step 3: Stir in cacao powder or cocoa powder as well as vanilla extract. Stir to dissolve the cacao.

Step 4: Let the hot cocoa simmer on low heat for 7 minutes.

We like to add a marshmallow into the drink while it is hot so it melts in the liquid and makes this yummy gooey top layer. It can be a little spicy for those who aren't used to spice but do give this a shot if you feel adventurous!

If you have a tea bag or container for tea steeping, you could also put some tea or herbs of your choice for a more recreational cocoa.

BUEN PROVECHO Y DISFRUTE!

words: 324

Edited by Vice

• Vice changed the title to Cadmael's Blog 2 - Xocolotl!