I Look Through The Index Yet Again: A Reboot of an Offseason Favorite

Gustav

Some may remember, some may not, most probably don't at all, but a handful of seasons ago I'd use my weeks without trivia in the offseason to write a VHL.com article where I went through the last season's index and talked about what I found. I stopped doing it after a bit, for reasons unclear to myself.

But now that there's no trivia, and it's Sunday night and I don't have a PT submitted, and I'm in the middle of a 40-page report and I don't want to crank out 2,000 words for the thing I'm still also writing for this forum, I'm going to bring it back. And hopefully it will be interesting.

• ß-DCD G is 5th in the league in SV% with a .916. That doesn't stop DC from getting hammered every game, though, as ß-DCD G's GAA is 4.56 with a 4-19-1 record. I've thought for a long time that STHS has a weak "equalizer" mechanism where goalers on super weak teams don't give up quite as many goals as they should, under the volume of shots they receive, and I think this might be an example.
  • It's clear that the whole "meta team" thing works (sadly), but there's always been some discussion questioning the legitimacy of the ridiculous shot numbers these teams put up (i.e. "are they good shots or is everyone just shooting it wherever?"). I could do the math, but I'm lazy--instead, I'll just note that the teams with the most shots are in general the teams with the most goals. There are some exceptions (Seattle with 74 goals on 1857 shots versus Prague with 85 goals on 1639) but the general correlation isn't being broken. 
  • SB is a stat that gets inflated on a lot of bad teams, but Vancouver has two players in the top 10. Everyone not on Vancouver in the top 9 plays for DC, New York, Toronto, or Chicago, teams with some space between them but with very little chance at success this season.
  • Taro has 69 points.
  • I was really high on Phil The Rock Johnson for fantasy this season, and so were some others. It's one thing to say that his point output has been somewhat underwhelming, but it's quite another to look at the numbers--he's only shooting at 4.84% this season, giving opposing goalers a .952 against him. Don't just shoot--shoot to score!
  • Leading the league in hat tricks this season is Muffbeav, with 5. He's having a good season, but I haven't seen much mention of him.
  • The only player with a face-off percentage over 60% is Paul Atreides, and third on the list is Aloe Dear, who's officially a winger. Most good face-off players are also good point-getters, but one notable role player is Helsinki's Jonathan Ori, with 29 points and a FO% of 55.49%.
  • Leading the league in times selected as first star is ME, tied with Malmo's Taylor Mourning with 8. I'm almost definitely not winning MVP again, but I can be proud of something.
  • Also speaking of stars, in more than one sense, LA's Pistil Stamen has been selected as second star 5 times and third star 4 times...but never first.

That's so nice and interesting, its definitely a one of a kind subject. breaking down stats that most people will just pass over. For the goalie stats, I also find that most goalie in al leagues perform better most of the time when they face a huge amount of shots like 40 or more and perform quite bad when they only receive 20 shots or less. That's is something that happen in IRL hockey also, but in the VHL it happen a bit too much in my opinion. taro 69 points VHLF steal :). Mourning!!! That is some stats that I will look more into. 9 out of 10 

Very interesting article, I like how different it is than most, but it is every fun to read still. With all of the stats included it definately has a lot of information to give off, but still in a fun and entertaining way. I would love to know why you picked the categories you did, some seem random, but that honestly doesn't matter. Love to see more of theses! 9/10

On 12/13/2021 at 5:21 AM, GustavMattias said:

ß-DCD G is 5th in the league in SV% with a .916. That doesn't stop DC from getting hammered every game, though, as ß-DCD G's GAA is 4.56 with a 4-19-1 record. I've thought for a long time that STHS has a weak "equalizer" mechanism where goalers on super weak teams don't give up quite as many goals as they should, under the volume of shots they receive, and I think this might be an example.

If this is true, it's very similar to something that exists in EHM. Basically, since the AI GMs don't understand that having a NHL level goalie in the NHL might be a good idea. Any goalie that *should* have a save percentage below about .890 will approach that number the more games they play*, regardless of their actual attributes. To make it so that no matter how garbage the goalie is, they can keep the stats looking somewhat "realistic". It's a band-aid fix to avoid having to fix something that is much harder to fix (broken AI/questionable sim engine). So it's likely Simon did something similar, for similar reasons.

*This is only true for AI ran teams in that game though. If a human GM runs a garbage goalie, they do not get that "help".

God damn gotta give you 9/10. As a new player there's a lot of things i dont know, inculding the meta team that you mention. You have a lot of content on that one it's insane. Its only my 4th week on VHL and this might be one of the most complete acticle I've read yet. 

Hehehehe 69 goal