Petrenko the Pint-Sized Punk

SlapshotWrangler

SEATTLE - When it comes to Sigard Petrenko, there is one thing that he takes great pride in when it comes to his game. It’s his ability to hit big despite his small stature. Sometimes, we all forget that the winger from Russia is only 5’8”. The 25-year old has shown that he can hit and do it consistently. While he is not at the level of Seattle captain Vinny Detroit, Sigard has shown his penchant for hits. It was first displayed at the VHLM level where Sigard hit players 261 times during his second season there. Then, in his rookie season, he had 171, slowly adjusting to the VHL pace. This season he has 212 hits in 60 games. To add to that, Sigard had his first VHL fight this season. Looking at Sigard, you’d think he would be slick and quick like a Kirill Kaprizov type player. While he does have those qualities to an extent, it’s a surprise that his physicality is such a major part of his game.

“It’s interesting. I’ve always known that I’ve lacked the finesse that other players had. Yet I still found ways to score goals. Now that I’m in a situation where I am not scoring as much as I like, I found another way to hopefully help out. Hits and being physical have become a mainstay in my game and I find myself looking more for hits than scoring opportunities. Take that as you will.”