VHL Fantasy Zone Suggestions

youloser1337

Ahoy everyone! With Season 81 almost in the books, I want to start looking towards Season 82 for the Fantasy Zone. I would like some suggestions on how to improve it to make it easier and fun for everyone.

Some improvements I'm going to be implementing for next season:

- Forms will be directly on the post

- A central post for all earning for the week

I want to explain why these are happening for clarity. 1, I didn't know you could just copy and paste the form onto the post and it would just auto embed itself. That makes everything much easier. 2, the central post will make the updaters lives much easier. This way they don't have to check on 3 different posts to see how much TPE you got. Also this will be a good way to keep track of who is doing the best during the season. Some bragging rights for the end of the season!

So now I open the floor to everyone in the VHL. What would you like in the Fantasy Zone in Season 82?

do we need the separate subforums for the different fantasy zones? if all the results are going in one place, could you do like a masterpost with all three forms (or one hella long form) instead of three separate posts?

edit: also wanted to add that i like your variable questions at the end, i like that's not the same "guess the score" question every week

Edited by fishy

1. With how many people seem to be getting at least 1 TPE every week, maybe add another game in a week on to the predictions? The issue with old fantasy zone could be identified as very few people were winning, now it seems like 20-30+ people are winning every time. I doubt it's overall considered an issue since people love TPE, but uncapped TPE should be a bit more difficult to earn in general. A happy medium between 5 people winning and 30+ folks winning would be nice imo.

2. A lot of folks are taking advantage of waiting until the very last minute to submit their fantasy zone, especially when the games are expected to be at the end of the week, and/or if you have a question that asks something along the lines of "who of the following will be at the top of ____ by the end of the week." Maybe open up the week on Monday and close on Thursday if you expect the questions to be answered in the sims by Saturday or Sunday. 

3. When you say a central post, do you mean just putting all results into a single thread? That would make updaters lives even more difficult because CTRL+F would show all hits in the thread, instead of just for the one payout post. I would probably say that the easiest thing for updaters (since it doesn't seem like the portal suggestion will be adopted) is to pay all three leagues out at the same time, and to combine each user's score into one TPE payout for the week. Multiple different posts doesn't help us, even if it's in the same thread.

20 minutes ago, Spartan said:

3. When you say a central post, do you mean just putting all results into a single thread? That would make updaters lives even more difficult because CTRL+F would show all hits in the thread, instead of just for the one payout post. I would probably say that the easiest thing for updaters (since it doesn't seem like the portal suggestion will be adopted) is to pay all three leagues out at the same time, and to combine each user's score into one TPE payout for the week. Multiple different posts doesn't help us, even if it's in the same thread.

I mean I read it as all being put into the one same post with the full TPE that person got for the week, between all leagues.

20 minutes ago, Spartan said:

1. With how many people seem to be getting at least 1 TPE every week, maybe add another game in a week on to the predictions? The issue with old fantasy zone could be identified as very few people were winning, now it seems like 20-30+ people are winning every time. I doubt it's overall considered an issue since people love TPE, but uncapped TPE should be a bit more difficult to earn in general. A happy medium between 5 people winning and 30+ folks winning would be nice imo.

Usually the 1 point is from the guess at the end though. Not the actual games themselves, right? So it may help, it may not.

Obviously life happens and all that. But some weeks it did feel like the post came out very late. Which inherently kind of steered into the other issue Spartan brought up. That the later you get to guess the final question. The less of a guess it becomes. So I agree that maybe the post has to come up a bit sooner, and the cutoff has to be a bit sooner to remedy that. As I think that would probably also lower the number of 1 TPE payouts naturally.

Overall though Fantasy has been a fun little thing to do on the side this season. It helps you have at least some idea of what the leagues your player isn't in, is up to.

Edit: I almost forgot, the posts should also @Spartan. Because that's just better.

Edited by Shindigs

10 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

I mean I read it as all being put into the one same post with the full TPE that person got for the week, between all leagues.

Just wanted to clarify, because if it isn't, then the change is pretty unhelpful lol.

10 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

Usually the 1 point is from the guess at the end though. Not the actual games themselves, right? So it may help, it may not.

That then ties into point #2, where say the question was "which of these three players will have the most points at the end of the week?" Folks can just wait until Friday, see who's up and then get a free uncapped TPE from it, and we've seen some massive payout posts this season. But the amount of people getting more than 1 also shows that the games may be too simple as a combination of 3 right now. Just my two cents.

12 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

Edit: I almost forgot, the posts should also @Spartan. Because that's just better.

Quote posts notify the person you're quoting anyways 5head

Just now, Spartan said:

Quote posts notify the person you're quoting anyways 5head

Yeah but the @Spartanstill makes it better.

1 minute ago, Spartan said:

That then ties into point #2, where say the question was "which of these three players will have the most points at the end of the week?" Folks can just wait until Friday, see who's up and then get a free uncapped TPE from it, and we've seen some massive payout posts this season.

I mean  yeah, I agreed with this later in the post. So I agree. @Spartan

Where exactly does the line for excessive pinging go anyways? I shouldn't try to find out.

3 hours ago, fishy said:

do we need the separate subforums for the different fantasy zones? if all the results are going in one place, could you do like a masterpost with all three forms (or one hella long form) instead of three separate posts?

edit: also wanted to add that i like your variable questions at the end, i like that's not the same "guess the score" question every week

I mean I like to keep everything organized. I could see about doing a single post for all 3 leagues in the VHL forum to make it easier. Also, thank you. I know guessing the score is very difficult so I tried to do something easier / harder sometimes to spice it up.

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

2. A lot of folks are taking advantage of waiting until the very last minute to submit their fantasy zone, especially when the games are expected to be at the end of the week, and/or if you have a question that asks something along the lines of "who of the following will be at the top of ____ by the end of the week." Maybe open up the week on Monday and close on Thursday if you expect the questions to be answered in the sims by Saturday or Sunday. 

1. Finding that middle ground is something I try to do. Sometimes I notice that the week will be very easy or very predictable and try to select other games. Sometimes its tough to tell. I check the standings as my reference but that can only go as far. I will try to make it competitive. Some harder questions like I've done during the season will try to get the number of people down.

2. I think I will implement what everyone is saying and cut it off on Thursday. I will have to make sure that all of the LRs will get pinged for this. Maybe there could be a fantasy zone channel in the discord so I can put it there and have a ping role? Just seeing what could work.

3. So I would do Fantasy Zone - Week 1 - Form and then for the results do -> Fantasy Zone - Week 1 - Results (separate thread in the VHL fantasy zone). This way I'm making it so that all 3 leagues will be there. I'll do all the work and you would only have to check the 1 post instead of 3.

2 hours ago, Shindigs said:

Obviously life happens and all that. But some weeks it did feel like the post came out very late. Which inherently kind of steered into the other issue Spartan brought up. That the later you get to guess the final question. The less of a guess it becomes. So I agree that maybe the post has to come up a bit sooner, and the cutoff has to be a bit sooner to remedy that. As I think that would probably also lower the number of 1 TPE payouts naturally.

Life does get in the way sometimes for me. Sometimes I'm unable to get the post out until late in the week. This season I will try to be better about that. I apologize for that.

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

That then ties into point #2, where say the question was "which of these three players will have the most points at the end of the week?" Folks can just wait until Friday, see who's up and then get a free uncapped TPE from it, and we've seen some massive payout posts this season. But the amount of people getting more than 1 also shows that the games may be too simple as a combination of 3 right now. Just my two cents.

Moving forward, I can stop doing those types of questions or cut it off sooner. It's tough finding questions for 3 leagues each week. I try to have some variety but it definitely catches up to me.

13 minutes ago, youloser1337 said:

Maybe there could be a fantasy zone channel in the discord so I can put it there and have a ping role? Just seeing what could work.

I don't really see a need for this, especially considering that we intentionally don't have a tpe opportunities channel in the main discord. i get notified when you post new fantasy zone because i follow the subforum... i've thought it weird that we have a ping list, which creates more unnecessary work for you, when the exact same functionality is already built into the website

11 minutes ago, fishy said:

I don't really see a need for this, especially considering that we intentionally don't have a tpe opportunities channel in the main discord. i get notified when you post new fantasy zone because i follow the subforum... i've thought it weird that we have a ping list, which creates more unnecessary work for you, when the exact same functionality is already built into the website

I will campaign hard on this. As a M GM, I follow a lot of posts / subforums. I don't want to get rid of the ping list right at the start but if enough people follow the thread, I could take it down.

26 minutes ago, youloser1337 said:

I will campaign hard on this. As a M GM, I follow a lot of posts / subforums. I don't want to get rid of the ping list right at the start but if enough people follow the thread, I could take it down.

I'd just include instructions on how to follow the sub-forum as part of your copy/paste for fantasy zone instructions tbh. Plus you post in the main discord. We don't need to spoon feed everyone when there is the "follow the subforum" functionality, just gotta teach them how to do it!

And also you don't need to scrap those questions like "who will finish with the most ___," as you said you will likely cut it off at a point as well. I think the cut off will solve the issue, the questions itself were fine. Just a bit abusable when the form stayed open as long as it did. Cheers man, thanks for taking feedback.

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

I'd just include instructions on how to follow the sub-forum as part of your copy/paste for fantasy zone instructions tbh. Plus you post in the main discord. We don't need to spoon feed everyone when there is the "follow the subforum" functionality, just gotta teach them how to do it!

And also you don't need to scrap those questions like "who will finish with the most ___," as you said you will likely cut it off at a point as well. I think the cut off will solve the issue, the questions itself were fine. Just a bit abusable when the form stayed open as long as it did. Cheers man, thanks for taking feedback.

Got it. I think the cutoff will be good. I want to make the fantasy zone experience as fluid as possible. I want it for EVERYONE too. I knew that I had to include something to make the updaters life easier too.