Wheres all the meta posts guys?

Frank

30 minutes ago, Beketov said:

This is ultimately the root of the issue and how we got here: everyone deciding “this is the build, follow it.” Enough of those and the meta teams become possible. Otherwise they are outliers that may perform a tad better than they should but they are manageable, always were.

well, GMs and players wanna win. I guess that's obvious.

What's the better way to win the cup? The less passing the better (defs still may have a better time with it)

Well, let's get passing as less as possible.

????

BETTER CHANCES AT WINNING.

well, not really a 100% profit, but close to it.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, hedgehog337 said:

well, GMs and players wanna win. I guess that's obvious.

What's the better way to win the cup? The less passing the better (defs still may have a better time with it)

Well, let's get passing as less as possible.

????

BETTER CHANCES AT WINNING.

well, not really a 100% profit, but close to it.

Which is why our focus is mostly on finding where a good balance of “as less as possible” is so that we hit the point we have seen where adding more is actually beneficial instead of detrimental because there is also a point where it flips the other way and TPE just wins out.

This takes time though. A full season of test sims is modifying variables takes time to build and run and that’s without any kind of sample size or control group.

So yeah, I’m a broken record but we’re working on it. 

i mean the interesting thing that ive heard but havent been able to confirm is that builds with higher passing are still good, and maybe even better than 40 99 in some cases. like on a line with two 80 99s another 80 99 or 70 99 is better than a 40 99. its just a whole line or team of 40 99 outperforms a whole line of 80 99. so unless your whole line is 40 99, the build might be suboptimal or less versatile than one with higher pa. 

As someone who isn't super involved in the league I do have some thoughts/observations on the matter, although if I go by some comments in this thread then as a welfare user my opinion shouldn't matter I guess...

These meta builds are a can of worms that once opened, you can't really undo. You can't expect people to conciously build worse players by improving their passing when there are well-known ways to make a more successful player out there, that's just not realistic in my experience. That's why drastic measures are needed if you want to curb meta builds, either a full on sim change like the SHL did or new rules that limit GMs and/or players freedoms at least to a certain extent.

Even as someone who is on Vancouver, I think that changes are unavoidable because these kinds of meta builds are not good for the league as a whole. If it is through something like implementing a max gap of 20 between Passing or Skating or any other measures that you guys see fit is up to the BOG to figure out, but limiting peoples agency and "freedom" is probably needed at least somewhat.

• Commissioner
45 minutes ago, RomanesEuntDomus said:

That's why drastic measures are needed if you want to curb meta builds, either a full on sim change like the SHL did or new rules that limit GMs and/or players freedoms at least to a certain extent.

We’re thinking of something a little more interesting to be honest but it’s gonna take some fine tuning. Should be fun though.

• Commissioner
56 minutes ago, RomanesEuntDomus said:

I have a hard team seeing any "non-invasive" measures work here but hey, surprise me :D

Who said they weren’t invasive? They are invasive as hell, just hopefully without limiting too many of those player / GM freedoms.