Analysis of VHLM Team Names Part 1: Halifax and Houston

Will3

Hello, everyone and welcome to my new article series. Here I will bring the same critical eye used in the creation of fictional expansion teams to the actual VHL teams. There is no better place for us to start than the alphabetically first two teams of the VHLM. We will see where this team name comes from and whether or not it works or should be replaced. Lets gets going.

The Halifax 21st are the perfect team name for a series like this. Not many people understand what a "21st" exactly is and what it is referring to. I had initially thought that the 21st were some local military unit of distinction. That is not it. A quick search took me to the true origin of the team name, Pier 21. From 1928 to 1971, Pier 21 was a terminal for ocean liners and immigration entry point, similar to Ellis Island in the States. This is an unexpected and original team name that is unique to the region. Overall this name works for two reasons. The first reason is that it is a bit of Canadian history that is not well-known to those outside of Canada. I never knew about Pier 21 until I did some research. The other reason it that it is a much  more positive reference than a devastating explosion that killed a lot of people. I feel this team name brings something different to the table, which is good for any league.

Not every team name needs to be as unorthodox and mysterious as the the Halifax 21st.  Take the Houston Bulls for example. The team name is a traditional animal team name and is far easier to explain than a "21st". Cattle ranching is tied to Texas not just economically but culturally as well. The image of a rough and tumble cowboy common in old western came from the cattle ranches in Texas. Bulls are male cattle that if triggered can easily kill a man wthe ith dangerous horns and stomping hooves. It works as a team name because bulls and cattle have been and continues to be important to Texas. Bonus points for bulls being an intimidating creature as well. Sometimes the traditional team names work perfectly fine.

That is all the time we have for explanations today. The VHLM does have some good team name and I look forward to analyzing all of them. I hope you have enjoyed this new beginning and continue to look forward to new articles going forward. I will be back next week with two more VHLM team name ready for analysis. I will you all then, my friends.

I think I will do both the VHLM and VHLE versions of the promoted clubs a logical transition between the two leagues. I will adlo look into which league did the name works best.

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, Will3 said:

The other reason it that it is a much  more positive reference than a devastating explosion that killed a lot of people.

That was initially brought up as an option as well but turned down for the obvious reason. Considering Pier 21 was the entry point for most new Canadians and the VHLM is the entry point to the VHL naming the team after it just felt like the right move, regardless of how much people *ahem* @rory like to complain.

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

That was initially brought up as an option as well but turned down for the obvious reason. Considering Pier 21 was the entry point for most new Canadians and the VHLM is the entry point to the VHL naming the team after it just felt like the right move, regardless of how much people *ahem* @rory like to complain.

Real Estate Meme GIF by hero0fwar

Review time: I do like this idea and look forward to what you may end up finding, however for this first outing I do find it a little underwhelming. I understand if you were crunched for time or something but I think getting a bit more content here would be good, mainly a third team. I also think that including the team banner or even just putting the team name up in bigger font, bold and color coded would be awesome. And while I know this isn't about the team logos themselves, saying how well they represent the name, like the facts/history behind the name could be a good talking point. overall solid MS 6/10