My offseason thoughts

WildfireMicro

Hey guys and gals and everything in between WildfireMicro here with a few offseason thoughts I have. I am a member of the Toronto Legion and the current VHLE AGM of the Cologne Express, and right now I feel very comfortable with the position I am in. I did sign an extension with the Toronto Legion and I am preparing for my second draft with the Express after how well the first one went. It's been a bit of an interesting offseason with the Legion offseason for us starting after we lost 4-1 against the Vancouver Wolves. So without any further ado let's begin!

The recent changes to the media review PT process sure have caused a stir I think. Instead of just a paragraph, now you have to get it up to 75 words. My big issue right now with it is that I think there should be at least a ping for when you make a change like that instead of just dumping it on us expecting us to just check without knowledge. Hell, even a fourm ping would have been good. And yes, I know we could have just checked the announcement, but without a ping to know that the announcement is coming, we have no knowledge that it is there.

Not everyone checks all the pinned posts on the fourms, and not everyone is on the VHL discord a lot in order to see the announcement without a ping. I know that everyone complains about pings, but to me pings at least let us know that something big is coming. I know that you changed the review media pt in order to make it less easy and lazy for users, but not giving true notice did mess up some people's updates, including mine. Before you say that is probably just 1 TPE, well that's 1 TPE that person doesn't have. I just think there should be a ping for announcements like that, all I'm saying.

Another thing that has made me a bit irked is the meta builds. The Vancouver Wolves just won the cup by using meta builds, and while I know that the meta will always be there, I just think there should be some kind of rule to prevent people from abusing it. It just seems that a team using nothing but the meta to destroy the other teams is overall not really that fair to people that just want to build thier players how they want. It's especially not really fair to those players who are new to the league and have no chance with thier haphazardly built builds against a truly meta strategy. My absolute sincere congratulations to the Wolves for the cup win, but it is still am issue that I think needs to be addressed.

Well that's all I have to talk about. I just think a couple of things need to change for the betterment of the user experience. Now, I have to get ready for the VHLE draft soon to keep this Express going. Thank you for reading and I hope to see you all on the ice!

Choo Choo Vintage GIF by US National Archives

Reviewing: I like your thoughts about this off-season, I was kind of thinking the same thing too about the reviewing. I mean, it's really not that hard to get to the 75 word minimum, but at least I know about it unlike some of the newer guys who may not have gotten the memo. It is nice to know that there is a standard though and now I can ramble on a bit to make sure I hit my 75 words. It may get a little tedious though, which could mean less people want to do it, which also means more points for me! 10/10

Yeah I was also a little surprised that the change was made without a members ping, but I would hope GM's send it to their LR's and inform their players. 

From an updater standpoint, we provided flexibility this first week for folks slightly under word count as they may not have known about the change. We understand that it was a quiet change, so we're trying to not outright deny anyone under the word count unless it's egregiously low. Hopefully we can all adjust to the new guidelines soon!