The End of the Road - Sosa

jakkysosa

As of today, January 25th 2022, I have been declared a free agent in the Victory Hockey League. I will be entering my eighth and final year as Jakob Sosa in the VHL. I was originally tempted to retire following Season 81 as my muse has gone down and that would have been my final season overall. However, as Season 81 came I noticed how much I’ve been checking on score, how much I’ve been enjoying this again and how I wanted to stay. With my performance last season being one of the best I’ve had in my career, I figured. Why stop now? The dead end isn’t here yet, why stop the car? Let’s keep going until you can’t go anymore. While discussion of where I will land is still up in the air, I wish to briefly go over my career in the VHL as Jakob Sosa over the past year and multiple months I’ve been here.

When I first arrived to the VHL, the experience of getting all these VHLM teams approaching you was truly an amazing experience. I did research on which teams needed centers, which teams are doing well and deeply analyzing their welcome messages and offers. I ended up signing with the Mexico City Kings as their deal got me the most excited RIGHT as I was about to sign with another team. I stayed with Mexico City my entire VHLM experience and went to the playoffs with them twice. The management were very nice to me and I truly cherish those moments. I was drafted by Vancouver and was ready to graduate once I went over the 250 TPE threshold. Being in Vancouver was a learning experience for me, even with staff changes and more, I learned a lot from the players that were there and truly enjoyed my time. Yet there was a point where my excitement went down I admit, things didn’t feel right and I requested a trade. Thus the “wow” reactions began, being traded for a first round pick to Malmo, I was even mentioned in a podcast! 

Being in Malmo was fantastic, I got to see my old boss from Mexico City there and met a whole new locker room of new players and players I’ve crossed paths with before. Wearing the neon green and navy blue was one of the best things to happen for my career. I got to achieve every fans childhood dream and got to raise the cup. I’ve been to multiple playoffs and won multiple games but as time progresses, bodies regress. Now that I’m here, I’m now in my final year of competition and I want to stay. What I’ll do when it comes to anything after this season? No clue. But I want that grand exit, I want to add more stats to the record book and I want to go all 8 years in the VHL.

I admit, I wasn’t perfect. I could’ve been more active in locker rooms, I could’ve done more media spots and gotten more TPE for my teams and myself. I could have won one championship in the VHL Pro-Am… but anyways, I feel like I did my job as a hockey player. I’ve always been focused since day one of joining the VHL about being a valuable piece to a team. Whether it’s for an asset of being traded or on the score card, I wanted fo bring something. I always checked how the team did in a game and my stats in that game, bit selfish but I wanted to make sure I’m doing something on the ice if I ever step on it. That’s exactly what I did. That’s what I want to bring. This article to whoever reads is to go over my career in the VHL/M and to mention that I’m a free agent, willing to bring something of value for the team and for my final year. 

Jakob Sosa was a hockey player, a VHLM assistant general manager, a Pro-Am GM and a friend… and he’s not going anywhere. Not yet.

Word Count: 681

Review:

To me, this is an article that perfectly captures what the VHL is all about: creating your own story and experiences through your interactions during your player's career. The friendships and memories we create are what keeps us coming back, as there's always something new or different to strive through on the next play-through. Your story mirrors that sentiment in a way that deeply resonates with me, and I really enjoyed reading this. 

Not only was this an engaging read, but it was very well-written. No mistakes were glaringly obvious, and your story flowed beautifully. It was clear to me that you took your time and made sure you did a good job writing this, and it made for an even better reading experience as a result. Fantastic job, and best of luck in your final season!

10/10