Message to VHL From Hogan

Baozi

• Head Moderator

Hogan here. Not gonna comment on the ban. Just wanted to tell everybody and anybody that I've ever insulted, made fun of or said anything negatively about, I don’t mean it. I joke around, I don't believe a lot of things I say. And I’m sorry if it was taken in a way I didn’t

intend it to. I am not trying to play victim, I am not appealing this ban. I don’t hate any of you. Hell I don't even believe DC is mid. See you in a week brothers, Hogmesiter.

This message is from Hogan in regards to recent events that I have agreed to share for him as appropriate to other members.

I can somewhat relate. I say things I don’t actually believe in either just to get a reaction from people sometimes.  I think going forward Hogan, you just need to know when to slow your roll. Regardless, good move here with your message.

14 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Can we increase the ban by another week???

I told you this wouldn’t trick them@Hogan

Probably will be increased though. Someone will be offended I’m sure. #VHL2k22

What's that? Someone just brought up race, sexuality, and gender, that is what I want to read.

What's that? Someone just posted a thread about pronouns, that is what I want to read.

What's that? Someone just posted about their battle with mental health, that is what I want to read.

Hey I got an idea, what if we all go to Dailymail and find the most horrific story of the day, link it here. Lets discuss how the story makes us feel? And don't forget the pictures of those involved.

At least we can forget what goes on in real life for a moment. At least we can forget our own problems for a moment. Oh no, wait a minute, no we can't. It's exactly the same. Let's turn something ''fun'' into ''sad'', after all it's year 2022 already.

I saw a dead bird yesterday. What are we going to do about that? I'm not too happy about it. I could talk about my player. I could talk about something related to some of the teams in VHL. I could talk about the sport. I could joke around and act a fool with few other members. No, I will much rather talk about the dead bird.  I will spend every hour thinking about the bird and then I will go online and roll on my misery. If someone is not playing by the ''rules'', I have the right to ruin their efforts of having fun. If I can't have fun - nobody can. I'm miserable. Others must be miserable as well.

-          1) Being respectful of all members

-          3) Posts crossing the ‘Safe for Work’ line in channels other than the thunderdome

-          4) Unnecessary mentions at other members (and deleting them afterwards)

-          6) Shit talking, spam and memes in channels other than the thunderdome

-          7) Not adhering to moderator requests to discontinue actions that go against rules 1-12

-          9) Specifically using accented or italicized letters to bypass the MEE6 bot in order to send messages containing vulgar and/or derogatory terms and slurs

-          10) Self-promoting in channels without written approval from the moderation team

-          11) using bot commands in channels other than the thunderdome

1. Soft

3. That could be anything with the current moderation team.

4. Soft

6. God forbid if someone is fooling around, if the moderators want to discuss their favorite ice creams and Disney movies, why don't you start your own channel for that?

7.  Soft

9. What are these messages? Vulgar, and/or derogatory terms and slurs, way to go experts of communication. You could at least edit the message. Now outsiders get the idea Hogan posted who knows what when most likely option is something most consider mild.

10. Written approval from the moderation team................ lets all read that one aloud. S_O_F_T

11. Soft

Long list of items suggests very little actually happened. You had to reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeach. One week ban also, which further shows not much happened.  Most likely option is that Hogan managed to piss off few members of the moderation team. Are users like that suitable to be moderators? How can someone that gets annoyed by tags, bot commands, ''questionable'' images, and general tomfoolery is able to moderate anything fairly? Granted, they can use the search function when looking at list of bad words, but other than that?

Everything doesn't have to be so serious all the time.

Edited by jRuutu

• Head Moderator
5 hours ago, jRuutu said:

What's that? Someone just brought up race, sexuality, and gender, that is what I want to read.

What's that? Someone just posted a thread about pronouns, that is what I want to read.

What's that? Someone just posted about their battle with mental health, that is what I want to read.

Hey I got an idea, what if we all go to Dailymail and find the most horrific story of the day, link it here. Lets discuss how the story makes us feel? And don't forget the pictures of those involved.

At least we can forget what goes on in real life for a moment. At least we can forget our own problems for a moment. Oh no, wait a minute, no we can't. It's exactly the same. Let's turn something ''fun'' into ''sad'', after all it's year 2022 already.

I saw a dead bird yesterday. What are we going to do about that? I'm not too happy about it. I could talk about my player. I could talk about something related to some of the teams in VHL. I could talk about the sport. I could joke around and act a fool with few other members. No, I will much rather talk about the dead bird.  I will spend every hour thinking about the bird and then I will go online and roll on my misery. If someone is not playing by the ''rules'', I have the right to ruin their efforts of having fun. If I can't have fun - nobody can. I'm miserable. Others must be miserable as well.

1. Soft

3. That could be anything with the current moderation team.

4. Soft

6. God forbid if someone is fooling around, if the moderators want to discuss their favorite ice creams and Disney movies, why don't you start your own channel for that?

7.  Soft

9. What are these messages? Vulgar, and/or derogatory terms and slurs, way to go experts of communication. You could at least edit the message. Now outsiders get the idea Hogan posted who knows what when most likely option is something most consider mild.

10. Written approval from the moderation team................ lets all read that one aloud. S_O_F_T

11. Soft

Long list of items suggests very little actually happened. You had to reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeach. One week ban also, which further shows not much happened.  Most likely option is that Hogan managed to piss off few members of the moderation team. Are users like that suitable to be moderators? How can someone that gets annoyed by tags, bot commands, ''questionable'' images, and general tomfoolery is able to moderate anything fairly? Granted, they can use the search function when looking at list of bad words, but other than that?

Everything doesn't have to be so serious all the time.

These are literally the rules that you need to agree to to use discord as well as to be in VHL. If you don't like it or disagree with them then why hit the accept button or be here? Lets get this straight here. Everything about the community is a privilege for me, you and and anyone else. Nobody has a "right" to be here, we all joined a private community that is governed by specific rules in order to continue to be here. 

Edited by Baozi

• Commissioner
14 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

I haven't really been on today--was Hogan banned for something specific recently or just a general accumulation of things?

The incident that started the discussion was a long history of harassment of an individual and that was the primary motivator.

Ruutu entirely skips over that point too which is frustrating. 

56 minutes ago, Baozi said:

These are literally the rules that you need to agree to to use discord as well as to be in VHL. If you don't like it or disagree with them then why hit the accept button or be here? Lets get this straight here. Everything about the community is a privilege for me, you and and anyone else. Nobody has a "right" to be here, we all joined a private community that is governed by specific rules in order to continue to be here. 

I have been in VHL longer than Discord has existed. Those rules are rules made by VHL.  I didn't vote you or anyone else to be the moderators. Nobody asked me. Nobody asked me about the rules or what is the direction, or ''culture'' the VHL should head towards. I wasn't asked. I'm here, because I can.

Just because some in the moderator group feel annoyed doesn't mean they should start transforming the place to their liking. You are annoyed, who cares? You took the job. You decided that monitoring mindless and idiotic content and behaviour is a job for you. Your job is not to transform VHL to a forum for the bright minds of modern society.

What if the private community is turning to shit? Soon this is not some fun and exciting place to visit where anything can happen. VHL is slowly turning into sad and dull corner of the internet, where nothing interesting is ever said. Nobody acts crazy or wild. Nobody says anything out of the ordinary. We are not learning anything interesting about each other, because there is nothing to learn. Just copies with exactly same ideas and thoughts talking to each other.  Is it a privilege then?

42 minutes ago, Josh said:

The incident that started the discussion was a long history of harassment of an individual and that was the primary motivator.

Ruutu entirely skips over that point too which is frustrating. 

Look at this punishment, they went through a list with 12 steps, they had to collect 8 different steps from the list to get just enough for one week ban.

So what is this harassment exactly? Getting tagged and some poor attempts of humour with weird pictures and swear words via bot? 15 cases of harrassment - 1 week ban?

At then end of the day it’s about who you’re talking too and needing to know who it is. I like to make jokes around @Diland @Spartanthat I know some other members would take the wrong way. Since they don’t get offended over everything I know I can make jokes around them. It’s just about knowing who you are around and their limits when it comes to jokes. 

Edited by Ben

• Commissioner
56 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

Look at this punishment, they went through a list with 12 steps, they had to collect 8 different steps from the list to get just enough for one week ban.

So what is this harassment exactly? Getting tagged and some poor attempts of humour with weird pictures and swear words via bot? 15 cases of harrassment - 1 week ban?

No, that is not the type of harassment we are talking about. This wasn't a shoehorned thing and if it was, it wouldn't have had my approval.

1 hour ago, jRuutu said:

I have been in VHL longer than Discord has existed. Those rules are rules made by VHL.  I didn't vote you or anyone else to be the moderators. Nobody asked me. Nobody asked me about the rules or what is the direction, or ''culture'' the VHL should head towards. I wasn't asked. I'm here, because I can.

Just because some in the moderator group feel annoyed doesn't mean they should start transforming the place to their liking. You are annoyed, who cares? You took the job. You decided that monitoring mindless and idiotic content and behaviour is a job for you. Your job is not to transform VHL to a forum for the bright minds of modern society.

What if the private community is turning to shit? Soon this is not some fun and exciting place to visit where anything can happen. VHL is slowly turning into sad and dull corner of the internet, where nothing interesting is ever said. Nobody acts crazy or wild. Nobody says anything out of the ordinary. We are not learning anything interesting about each other, because there is nothing to learn. Just copies with exactly same ideas and thoughts talking to each other.  Is it a privilege then?

Yes it is still a privilege, so hopefully you continue to abide by the rules and guidelines.  Moderators (along with other positions) are hired based on both application and interview processes, reviewed by staff members.  You didn't get a vote because you aren't in any position that offers one :D 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

No, that is not the type of harassment we are talking about. This wasn't a shoehorned thing and if it was, it wouldn't have had my approval.

I will say that the post was written very confusingly if harassment is what started the conversation (and presumably was the main contributor to the punishment). I didn't even really realize that until I asked in this thread because I opened up the initial announcement to read a giant list of minor rule-breaking on Discord. I also get why someone might think everything possible was dug up to pull it off--I've posted memes in genchat before and I never once expected to see it in the ban thread. Whether it was done to smear Hogan or not, and whether or not it was necessary, someone clearly sat down and thought of every single thing he's ever done on Discord for further justification when apparently there was a primary issue and that might not be clear to everyone.

I don't know the details of the harassment case(s), won't comment on them, and don't think I can have a fair opinion of this punishment because of it. So I'm not writing this to protest it, but I do take some exception to the way it was reported.