OrbitingDeath

RW/D - Chris Hylands, S73-S79:mal::war:

RS: 504 GP, 233 G, 404 A, 637 P, +51, 628 PIM, 1,205 HIT, 523 SB, 34 GW

As RW-  333 GP, 190 G, 244 A, 434 P, +30, 321 PIM, 772 HIT, 172 SB, 27 GW

As D- 171 GP, 43 G, 160 A, 203 P, +21, 307 HIT, 351 SB, 7 GW

PO: 81 GP, 29 G, 65 A, 94 P, +15, 60 PIM, 177 HIT, 106 SB, 6 GW

As RW- 40 GP, 23 G, 26 A, 49 P, +17, 22 PIM, 90 HIT, 21 SB, 5 GW

As D- 41 GP, 6 G, 39 A, 45 P, -2, 38 PIM, 87 HIT, 85 SB, 1 GW

S73 Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy (Top Rookie)

S75 Daisuke Kanou Trophy (Playoff MVP)

S78 Sterling Labatte Trophy (Top Defenceman)

S78 Alexander Valiq Trophy (Top Offensive Defenceman)

1x All-VHL First Team (S78)

1x All-VHL Second Team (S75)

Two Continental Cups (S75, S78)

Conner Low, Matt Bailey, Black Velvet - we can now add Chris Hylands to the unique list of Hall of Famers who excelled both on offence and defence. Hylands didn't do a slow start - he was top rookie in S73 and hit 100 points by S75, a season in which he led Malmo to the franchise's first Continental Cup, being crowned playoff MVP (he would later become the Nighthawks' GM and masterminded their second championship in S79). As Malmo entered a rebuild, Hylands' points totals didn't dry - halfway through S76 he was probably his draft class' best Hall of Fame hope, before Su's big breakthrough. Many of us thought he wasted that chance by moving to defence once he was sold to the high-flying Warsaw Predators, but Hylands' talent transferred to the back easily. By S78, he was known as the VHL's best defenceman and a key contributor now to Warsaw's first ever championship. Like Su, a 2nd rounder who broke down barriers and accumulated unique accomplishments

S73 - Malmo Nighthawks

72GP 34G 42A 76P 3 454SHT 35PIM 82HIT 37SB 4GW 11PPG 0SHG

Playoffs: 12GP 6G 7A 13P -1 51SHT 2PIM 6HIT 8SB 0GW 1PPG 0SHG

Chris was drafted 14th overall in the S72 draft and after staying down for one more season with the Mexico City Kings he  was set to make his debut for the Malmo Nighthawks in S73. This extra season in the minors helped him develop into a point per game player from the start of his career.In the race for the Christian Stolzschweiger trophy he had to head-to-head with Adam Syreck, which he outscored by three points.  It was a nice season for him to debut in as he helped the team into the playoffs. The race for the fourth spot in Europe was a close one between Malmo, Davos and Prague, who were all splitted from eachother within two points. 

As a rookie Hylands nested him in the top 3 of forwards scoring for Malmo for both the regular season and the playoffs, showing the flashes of brilliance that the team would see of him for seasons to come. 

S74 - Malmo Nighthawks

72GP 46G 49A 95P 27 478SHT 45PIM 59HIT 24SB 4GW 10PPG 0SHG

Playofss 9GP 3G 6A 9P 6 52SHT 4PIM 19HIT 6SB 1GW 0PPG 0SHG

In season 74 the Malmo Nighthawks made a big step forward and finished second in the conference and the same went for Chris. He improved his point total by 19 and became the highest scoring forward on the team. Just shy of the 100 point margin he had a sophomore season to be proud of. Where Hylands improved, his team did so as well. There no longer was a tight battle for fourth, but they were a steady lock at second. His 46 goals scored was good for fifth highest in the league, no signs of a sophomore slump here. In the playoffs Malmo couldn’t deliver as they were stranded in the second round. Hylands however did manage to remain a point per game player for consecutive playoffs. 

S75 - Malmo Nighthawks

72GP 44G 56A 100P 21 468SHT 69PIM 191HIT 44SB 6GW 14PPG 2SHG

Playoffs 19GP 14G 13A 27P 12 126SHT 16PIM 65HIT 7SB 4GW 4PPG 1SHG

Another season in which Hylands improved his point total, this time around he hit the 100 points for the first time in his career, a feat he would get two times. His amount of goals scored went down, but there were only two others with more goals than him, which finally landed him a top 3 spot in goals scored. This season he also scored a league high 14 power play goals.  For his team it was another season full of battles, the Nighthawks finished third in the conference, but between the second and fifth seed, there were only five points between them.  

In the playoffs Hylands also managed to top the leaderboard, but this time in goals scored. Together with Lahtinen (even though Lahtinen played two less) he was good for 14 goals in total. He however was way more important for his team as he scored a grand total of four game winners in the run that brough the Malmo Nighthawks their first championship. His contribution also landed him the award for playoff mvp; the Daisuke Kanou Trophy.

S76 - Malmo Nighthawks

76 (MAL) 72GP 46G 57A 103P -8 477SHT 114PIM 241HIT 40SB 10GW 11PPG 0SHG

The season after the cup win the Nighthawks had an issue staying competitive. They dropped outside of the playoffs that year, despite Hylands scoring 103 points for them. Despite his individual performance, it felt like a big step back for him after winning that cup the season prior. It turned out, this was his last full season as a forward in this league. Hylands once again made the top 10 in goal scoring, this time finishing 6th with 46 goals. Just four shy of 6th place as there was no stopping Lahtinen this season who had 61. With his 103 points he also was the second-best winger of this season. So personally a good year, but for his team it turned out to be a bad year which would result in a shift for Hylands in the upcoming season.  

S77 - Malmo Nighthawks / Warsaw Predators

77 (MAL) 45GP 20G 40A 60P -13 278SHT 58PIM 199HIT 27SB 3GW 7PPG 1SHG
77 (WAR) 27GP 6G 18A 24P 4 119SHT 68PIM 109HIT 19SB 1GW 4PPG 0SHG

Playoffs 12GP 2G 5A 7P -4 36SHT 6PIM 18HIT 20SB 1GW 2PPG 0SHG

Chris started Season 77 still on the wing, but the team still was not in a shape to win now. The Nighthawks battled for the last playoff spot and managed to get it on a tie-breaker, but this was no longer with Hylands on their roster. The Warsaw Predators, the top team in Europe at that point, had traded for him deep into the season. But not for having him as a winger, instead they wanted him to give them more firepower from the blue line as he transitioned into a defenseman. 

It was definitly a switch for Hylands to get used to and in a game seven defeat, the Warsaw Predators were beaten by the Helsinki Titans to end their cup run prematurely. 

S78 - Warsaw Predators

78 (WAR) 72GP 19G 68A 87P 6 237SHT 143PIM 160HIT 187SB 5GW 8PPG 0SHG

78 (WAR) 17GP 3G 18A 21P 6 49SHT 24PIM 44HIT 35SB 0GW 2PPG 0SHG

Season 78 showed the world a Hylands that adjusted fully in his role as a defenceman, picking up both the Sterling Labatte as Alexander Valiq trophy that season. An impressive feat considering he had competition from not just one, but four other defenseman that ended up within two points of his point total. The Warsaw Predators also won their conference again and this time, there were no other teams in their way. After defeating Malmo in five and Prague in six, the Seattle Bears were waiting in the final. With Hylands as their prime weapon from the blue line as he scored over a point per game during the playoffs, they also managed to take care of the bears in six, resulting in Hylands winning his second cup of his career.

S79 - Warsaw Predators

79 (WAR) 72GP 18G 74A 92P 11 298SHT 96PIM 164HIT 145SB 1GW 9PPG 0SHG

79 (WAR) 12GP 1G 16A 17P -4 38SHT 8PIM 25HIT 30SB 0GW 1PPG 0SHG

The swan song of his career would be Season 79 where he despite being depreciated multiple times, managed to score his highest point total as a defenseman. This did not result in another Valiq trophy, as scoring in the league went up again and there were four defenseman with more points as him. Warsaw remained competitive and after finishing second in the playoffs, they could try to go back-to-back in the playoffs. After beating the Reign in the first round, they had to play Hylands his old team, the Nighthawks in the conference final. In a seven game thriller, it were the Nighthawks going for the cup instead of them. And while this was not the result Hylands hoped for as a player, he for sure had a career he could be more than proud off.

Congratulations on your induction!

@hylands @Victor

I love how detailed it all is. From the stats at the start with the trophies and all, with the black on white giving it a special touch. I also like the intro that isnt too long nor too short. Each season you explain well the progress of your player and the outgoing of the season.  All in all awesome career and as a offensive d man i wish i could follow in your footsteps and light the lamp as much or more than you did. 8/10

I always love when you do these deep dive articles. I frequently don't realize much of what's going on in this league outside of my own player and team - and sometimes not even my own team. Hylands is a great example of that, as I never realized how outstanding his career was. Going season by season really paints a picture of consistency (despite changing positions). Really appreciate the research and time spent. My only real complaint is how bad the formatting looks, in terms of painfulness to read, with the dark Mobile skin but that's not a fault of yours. 10/10

Edited by der meister

1 hour ago, der meister said:

I always love when you do these deep dive articles. I frequently don't realize much of what's going on in this league outside of my own player and team - and sometimes not even my own team. Hylands is a great example of that, as I never realized how outstanding his career was. Going season by season really paints a picture of consistency (despite changing positions). Really appreciate the research and time spent. My only real complaint is how bad the formatting looks, in terms of painfulness to read, with the dark Mobile skin but that's not fault of yours. 10/10

Google docs is to blame for that ;)

HOF articles are my favorite reads, especially in today's VHL since I didn't get to know a lot of these players. Reading this article, we got a great view on Chris Hyland's career. Two teams in a career isn't bad at all. Capturing two cups with two different teams? Even better. I enjoy the format of including the stats each season, and the little recap of that season. It wasn't drug out, it was just right. I think it is awesome Hylands was able to thrive as they made the transition from wing to defenseman. Thanks for providing such a great read to the HOF! 10/10