Sakamoto Ready to Go

der meister

Mexico City is an interesting place, and one that I frankly never expected to visit. Nothing against Mexico or the people who live there, but I’m not much one for warm temperatures. There's a reason I'm a hockey beat reporter, after all. I'm sitting inside the Mexico City Kings' home arena, one of maybe two dozen individuals not on the ice for the final practice before the VHLM Regular Season kicks off. Inside the building, it's possible to forget the world outside, the blinding sun, the heavy traffic.

Japanese defenseman Ryuji Sakamoto glides toward the player bench as practice wraps up, a sharp-toothed grin plastered on his face. I've spent a lot of time with Sakamoto over the past month or so, and I've come to recognize that expression as one of excitement. I know he's been itching to get the season started, just as he had been itching for the VHLM Entry Draft before that. Sakamoto is someone who is always looking forward, sometimes at the expense of missing out on the present. He gives me a little wave with his gloved hand before disappearing into the tunnel toward the home locker room.

With the season officially starting tomorrow, the coaching staff of the Kings put their squad through their most rigorous practice yet, ending with a 10-minute, ultracompetitive pick-up game. While I'm currently embedded with Sakamoto and chronicling his journey from troubled Tokyo high schooler to professional ice hockey player, I'd be remiss to not mention the Kings goaltending duo, which has to be among the strongest in the VHLM. Between Season 82 draftee Freddy Freeze and Season 83 first round selection Brandt Fuhr, the Kings are in excellent shape between the pipes. Fuhr let in a single goal during the scrimmage, edging out his fellow netminder who let in a pair. Calen McKay, a big, Swedish center drafted a few rounds after Sakamoto, scored the lone goal for the losing side, while fellow center Matt Rooster and blueliner Ricu Cracker scored for the other team.

Sakamoto joins me in the stands about half an hour later, informing me that they had a team meeting. "Coach said they're trying to bring in one more forward and one more d-man," Sakamoto says, running his hand through his hair. "I'm getting top minutes and all the special teams time I can handle." He's staring out at the ice, maybe imagining himself out there in his first actual game since being drafted in the second round last week.

"Are you comfortable with the idea of having so much ice time?" I ask, knowing before I open my mouth that Sakamoto is not one to lack confidence.

"For real?" he responds, giving me a surprised look. "My cardio is better than it's ever been. I'm ready to play all game!"

We chat idly for a few minutes, watching the Zamboni clear the ice, coating the yellow, black, and red of the Kings logo in a thick, glistening sheen of water. Tomorrow, that logo will need repairs not just from the skates of those who wear the same symbol on their chests, but from the blades of visiting adversaries. In a city with a global reputation for drug-related violence, it's almost refreshing to think of two groups of young men battling over a tiny hunk of vulcanized rubber in a miniature world that seems so alien to the one just outside the door.

48 Best Ryuji Sakamoto images | Ryuji sakamoto, Persona 5 ...

8 hours ago, der meister said:

Mexico City is an interesting place, and one that I frankly never expected to visit. Nothing against Mexico or the people who live there, but I’m not much one for warm temperatures. There's a reason I'm a hockey beat reporter, after all. I'm sitting inside the Mexico City Kings' home arena, one of maybe two dozen individuals not on the ice for the final practice before the VHLM Regular Season kicks off. Inside the building, it's possible to forget the world outside, the blinding sun, the heavy traffic.

Japanese defenseman Ryuji Sakamoto glides toward the player bench as practice wraps up, a sharp-toothed grin plastered on his face. I've spent a lot of time with Sakamoto over the past month or so, and I've come to recognize that expression as one of excitement. I know he's been itching to get the season started, just as he had been itching for the VHLM Entry Draft before that. Sakamoto is someone who is always looking forward, sometimes at the expense of missing out on the present. He gives me a little wave with his gloved hand before disappearing into the tunnel toward the home locker room.

With the season officially starting tomorrow, the coaching staff of the Kings put their squad through their most rigorous practice yet, ending with a 10-minute, ultracompetitive pick-up game. While I'm currently embedded with Sakamoto and chronicling his journey from troubled Tokyo high schooler to professional ice hockey player, I'd be remiss to not mention the Kings goaltending duo, which has to be among the strongest in the VHLM. Between Season 82 draftee Freddy Freeze and Season 83 first round selection Brandt Fuhr, the Kings are in excellent shape between the pipes. Fuhr let in a single goal during the scrimmage, edging out his fellow netminder who let in a pair. Calen McKay, a big, Swedish center drafted a few rounds after Sakamoto, scored the lone goal for the losing side, while fellow center Matt Rooster and blueliner Ricu Cracker scored for the other team.

Sakamoto joins me in the stands about half an hour later, informing me that they had a team meeting. "Coach said they're trying to bring in one more forward and one more d-man," Sakamoto says, running his hand through his hair. "I'm getting top minutes and all the special teams time I can handle." He's staring out at the ice, maybe imagining himself out there in his first actual game since being drafted in the second round last week.

"Are you comfortable with the idea of having so much ice time?" I ask, knowing before I open my mouth that Sakamoto is not one to lack confidence.

"For real?" he responds, giving me a surprised look. "My cardio is better than it's ever been. I'm ready to play all game!"

We chat idly for a few minutes, watching the Zamboni clear the ice, coating the yellow, black, and red of the Kings logo in a thick, glistening sheen of water. Tomorrow, that logo will need repairs not just from the skates of those who wear the same symbol on their chests, but from the blades of visiting adversaries. In a city with a global reputation for drug-related violence, it's almost refreshing to think of two groups of young men battling over a tiny hunk of vulcanized rubber in a miniature world that seems so alien to the one just outside the door.

48 Best Ryuji Sakamoto images | Ryuji sakamoto, Persona 5 ...

Nice article, I kind of like the coloring blend between black and using other colors to highlight what's most important in this passage. There's no spelling error from my eye as well and you used some great words to describe how you are feeling. This is a 9/10 article for me I just hoped that you would add some pictures just for the reader to visualize.  Other than that, incredible article and I can't wait to see you do more.