Analysis of VHLM Team Names Part 3: Miami and Mississauga

Will3

Hello my friends, I am back to reveal the ideas and influences that go into the team names of the VHLM. We will be hitting the M's today, as team names from two very different cities get broken down and explored. There are some interesting real world origin to the team names analyzed today so futher ado, let's do futher.

I do not have to commandeer a boat to explain the origins of Miami's VHLM team. But maybe I do, as the Miami Marauders clearly reference pirates, of whom all good stories involve. During the Golden Age of Piracy, Florida was a used as a stopover for treasure ships from colonies in South America to home in Europe. Pirates in the Caribbean area would ambush and loot these ships, inadvertently leaving a legacy. This legacy inspired many modern things including the name of the current NFL champions at the time of writing. This team name also alliterated, much like the MLB's Pittsburgh Pirates. As painful as it is to root for that team, the alliteration is cool, even if a name like the Pioneers would work better but back to topic. With the local history reference and alliteration, the Miami Marauders represent the the type of team name I strove to create in my previous article series, which explains why I agree with this team name.

Sometime the analysis machine can struggle to find a reason for a team name. The Mississauga Hounds is one such team name. What I do have are limited facts and my own theories which may be incorrect. Please take what I am about to say with a grain of salt. The Mississauga Hounds are likely memorializing the Mississauga IceDogs of the OHL. They were created in 1998 with the team's logo styled after a pet bull terrier owned by part team owner Don Cherry. A couple of owners swaps in 2006 and 2007 led this team to being relocating to where they are today. Perhaps someone who missed their old home team when given the chance to create a team in a sim league decided to create something similar to the team he loved, complete with a canine reference. If this is the case, I am moved by the undying love this fan had for their team in spite of the hockey world changing. If this little theory is completely wrong, I have no clue what this team name could be or why it so.

It is time for this conversation to end. Some team names and their origins can be quite mysterious. Hopefully, we have discovered important clues necessary to solving this mystery. Come by next week to see more mysteries surrounding VHLM team names understood. I will see you all then.

Edited by Will3