Is Discord over moderated?

Moon

Is discord over moderated  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Head Moderator
7 minutes ago, Ledge said:

How about we ban this stupid fucking yam gif

Every time it is posted in genchat one subspecies of yam goes extinct

Its posted tons in thunder and thats fine lol. Its not NSFW but its just creepy enough that it bothers enough people.

21 hours ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

So I'm one of those who doesn't go into Gen Chat - really a combination of it not being my thing and feeling like I've aged out of it a bit, frankly. But I did want to push back on this point, because I actually really disagree with it. It's an issue that places like Reddit fall into often, where embracing a fully democratized version of moderation will start to self-select your sample towards the extremes. If you have a loud group of people arguing that a GIF shouldn't be a punishable offense, in many cases those who argue that it should be moderated won't care enough to fight the loud voices. They'll simply stop coming. Which makes it seem even more that there's an overwhelming majority, when it's actually just that you've weeded out the other side. And when you get enough of those people who opt out rather than caring to argue, then it gets to be much more of a cliquish view than what you've got right now.

That's why there needs to be some other standard to compare against than simply "democracy rules," and IMO from what I've seen the VHL's mods do a solid job at comparing to the existing code.

Could not have put it more perfectly. I don't care enough to get dogpiled by the group who won't stop screaming about stuff like this so I just start to avoid it.

Also the way this poll is worded is dogshit.

I’m not going to lie. I understood why the yam gif was a problem. The issue I currently have is random messages of mine get deleted, even if they’re not at all sexual or offensive.

Like? Maybe we don’t do that? Deleting messages in general chat feels like my voice is being taken away. Then there’s no explanation for it at all? Just deleting it and pretending it doesn’t exist. The last time it happened was sometime earlier this week and it’s turned me off from coming into the discord.

On the flip side, as a former mod, there’s a lot I understand what the mods have to currently deal with. It just doesn’t justify deleting someone’s comments or messages without even an explanation or accountability.

Edited by fonziGG

• Commissioner
7 hours ago, JeffD said:

Also the way this poll is worded is dogshit.

Accurate, would really need to get more granular to have anything actionable come out of it. 

1 hour ago, fonziGG said:

Deleting messages in general chat feels like my voice is being taken away.

This should not be happening. I'm willing to follow up on this if you want to DM me.

2 hours ago, fonziGG said:

I’m not going to lie. I understood why the yam gif was a problem. The issue I currently have is random messages of mine get deleted, even if they’re not at all sexual or offensive.

Like? Maybe we don’t do that? Deleting messages in general chat feels like my voice is being taken away. Then there’s no explanation for it at all? Just deleting it and pretending it doesn’t exist. The last time it happened was sometime earlier this week and it’s turned me off from coming into the discord.

On the flip side, as a former mod, there’s a lot I understand what the mods have to currently deal with. It just doesn’t justify deleting someone’s comments or messages without even an explanation or accountability.

Yeah this isnt just about the yam gif this is about all of it combined tbh

On 2/5/2022 at 12:50 PM, Ledge said:

How about we ban this stupid fucking yam gif

Every time it is posted in genchat one subspecies of yam goes extinct

Before I begin my actual comment, I would like to apologize in advance for my inadequate level of English proficiency. I am not a native speaker of the world's current lingua franca which unfortunately leads to me making numerous embarrassing mistakes being made whenever I attempt to communicate using this language. Whenever I am reminded of how I lack the ability to convey my thoughts in an eloquent manner, I feel as though I have committed a cardinal sin, as though every English teacher in the world is simultaneously shaking their head and sighing due to how utterly disappointed they are at me.

Although I know that saying sorry to those of you who are reading my comment will not change the fact that I fail miserably to write and speak perfect English, I am writing this as a way to deter a certain type of people who cannot stand poor English (Also known informally as Grammar Nazis) from mocking me by posting unwanted and unnecessary comments detailing my every blunder. In my humble opinion, making grammatical errors should be perfectly acceptable as native speakers should not expect non-native speakers to be able to communicate in their second or third languages eloquently. If you are able to completely understand what the other person wrote, is there really a problem with what they've written? No, because the entire concept of communication is the exchange of information between other intelligent beings, which means that no matter how the exchange of information is made, as long as the information is accurately shared there is not a fundamental issue with their ability to communicate. To see it in another way, remember that someone who isn't fluent in English is fluent in another language. When you think about it this way, isn't it impressive for someone to speak a second language in any capacity? Having empathy and respect are qualities that are sorely missing for far too many people these days, especially on the internet.

That being said, I am aware that not all netizens who correct others are doing it to ridicule and shame. There are some who do so with the intent to help others improve and grow. However, displaying the failures of other people publicly will cause the person who is criticized to feel negative emotions such as shame and sadness due to the fact that their mistake has been made obvious which severely undermines the point they were trying to make in spite of their unfamiliarity with the English language. In most circumstances people are not looking for language help when they post anything online. Most people just want to enjoy themselves and have a good time on the internet which is why I would not encourage correcting other people regardless of your intentions. If you really do want to help others with their spelling or grammar, I would highly recommend you to help via messaging privately because not only will you not embarrass anyone, you can also go more in-depth with your explanation which I'm sure the other person will greatly appreciate if they want help, but I digress. I know that I've written a bit of an essay, but I hope I've made my points clear.

Anyways, here is the comment I wanted to make:

no u

Reading through the comments, the only opinion that I can offer as a returning member, I think it would be nice to have an #Introduce-Yourself tab to the Discord underneath the #General tab.

I found that when I joined, General Chat was extremely active and already having an existing conversation (15-20 replies per minute). I found myself hesitant to abruptly enter general chat and interject the conversation to introduce myself. I think if that's my thought as an returning member from S2 - S25, someone brand new to the league might find it a bit overwhelming to jump in and say hello, even though everyone is extremely kind and accepting!

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Reading through the comments, the only opinion that I can offer as a returning member, I think it would be nice to have an #Introduce-Yourself tab to the Discord underneath the #General tab.

I found that when I joined, General Chat was extremely active and already having an existing conversation (15-20 replies per minute). I found myself hesitant to abruptly enter general chat and interject the conversation to introduce myself. I think if that's my thought as an returning member from S2 - S25, someone brand new to the league might find it a bit overwhelming to jump in and say hello, even though everyone is extremely kind and accepting!

We do have a #newcomers-help under the VHLM tab and that is kind of like that but Im sure we could combine the two to make it more obvious. 

26 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

We do have a #newcomers-help under the VHLM tab and that is kind of like that but Im sure we could combine the two to make it more obvious. 

Yeah, I was under the impression that #newcomers-help was more about questions to assist in getting a new member up to speed with their player on VHL! My thought was that #Introduce-Yourself would be a way for new members to introduce themselves in the discord, and have existing members welcome them. A much easier introduction than jumping straight into an ultra-active general chat! 

I think @Brandonis basically talking about the introduce yourself section of the forum(which I don't think many people use) but as a dedicated channel in discord.  I have seen this in other places and people fill out whatever they are comfortable with.  An example from a server I'm in (this is a discord for a twitch streamer, not suggesting we do a 1:1 copy just showing an example).

• Preferred name:

• Pronouns:

• About Me:

• Fave Games:

People are encouraged to add onto or skip whatever they want.  It's not a mandatory thing by any means.  I don't think that is really the purpose of the newcomers-help channel.