Hybrid Attributes: Ending the Meta

Beketov

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

Another point to touch on, which this year's top Hitting players in the league kinda does a good job of highlighting, is that Checking is basically a relative attribute. How many hits you throw is based on how much hitting you have compared to everyone else on your line, right?

That would explain why Thompson always played worse when paired with other power forwards.

2 hours ago, Shindigs said:

Another point to touch on, which this year's top Hitting players in the league kinda does a good job of highlighting, is that Checking is basically a relative attribute. How many hits you throw is based on how much hitting you have compared to everyone else on your line, right? Hence why 70 Checking Vasile Lamb and 80 CK Duncan Idaho have more hits than 99 CK Vinny Detroit, I mean part of that is probably ice time too. I didn't want to delve too deeply into it. But that's how I've been told it works, and the stats do seem to back it up

It's also worth nothing that team strategies, and quality of team also both can play factors in regards to how many hits a player has. A better team often has the puck more, which can mean less opportunity to deliver hits. So a 99 CK forward on a quality team may end up with less hits than a 80 CK forward on the worst team in the league as an extreme example, regardless of the rest of the line make up they have. 

As for team strategies, while not all GM's put into it, there is a Physical on top of Off and Def and I have to imagine if you pumped a line full of forwards who all had 99 checking and put 4 or 5 physical on the strategy of that line it'd wind up on the whole with more hits than other forward with relative or comparable as well. Not that a GM would do that, going with Off/Def on those strategy sliders is far more common, but just some food for thought. 

If anything just some more examples of stuff we could test as we see how these builds begin affecting things. 

• Commissioner
23 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

That's a pretty apt description of what Grit does, yes.

It creates French bread?

its impossible to hit 99 scoring now? Also I feel like we are getting ripped off on the points we earn now. 1 tpe isnt worth 1 tpe anymore. Now the 12+ a week I earn is worth less than that. In this example below I have spent 675 TPA but am only get 277 of ACTUAL TPE used. wt actual f.

image.png.4a75f6f8cf41031496cc96a6656cd6fa.png

• Commissioner
31 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

its impossible to hit 99 scoring now? Also I feel like we are getting ripped off on the points we earn now. 1 tpe isnt worth 1 tpe anymore. Now the 12+ a week I earn is worth less than that. In this example below I have spent 675 TPA but am only get 277 of ACTUAL TPE used. wt actual f.

1. 99 scoring is not possible anymore no. This was intentionally done both as a balancing factor and as a method to avoid breaking STHS too hard.

2. As we have explained to many people already: the key is that everyone is affected the same way. It seems problematic for you because you know what it was but would a new member know any different? Not at all. Yes, we have lowered the “value” of a single TPE but because we have done it across the board you aren’t hurt any more than anyone else so it’s still balanced. Ultimately being able to have max in all the main stats by season 3 was completely game breaking so this should help alleviate that. At the end of the day it’s just the numbers that change, the actual performance should stay relative.

Also of note that’s a SUPER inefficient way to build. You can put things up above 90 but I wouldn’t suggest it because with the values tuned low and the update scale still being in play hitting those super high numbers is really bad on the “bang for your buck” level. You end up using a ton of TPE for minimal gain. In general it’s not going to be a good idea to try and operate hybrid attributes as if they work the same as the old attributes because they don’t.

19 minutes ago, Beketov said:

1. 99 scoring is not possible anymore no. This was intentionally done both as a balancing factor and as a method to avoid breaking STHS too hard.

2. As we have explained to many people already: the key is that everyone is affected the same way. It seems problematic for you because you know what it was but would a new member know any different? Not at all. Yes, we have lowered the “value” of a single TPE but because we have done it across the board you aren’t hurt any more than anyone else so it’s still balanced. Ultimately being able to have max in all the main stats by season 3 was completely game breaking so this should help alleviate that. At the end of the day it’s just the numbers that change, the actual performance should stay relative.

Also of note that’s a SUPER inefficient way to build. You can put things up above 90 but I wouldn’t suggest it because with the values tuned low and the update scale still being in play hitting those super high numbers is really bad on the “bang for your buck” level. You end up using a ton of TPE for minimal gain. In general it’s not going to be a good idea to try and operate hybrid attributes as if they work the same as the old attributes because they don’t.

I appreciate the response Bek! After chatting with a few of the people behind this, it is a lot more clear to me now. 

2 hours ago, Ricer13 said:

That is what I said from the start... However, apparently the skill level in the VHL was a problem (i.e. too many attributes were maxed, which STHS is not capable of handling. Hence the decision was made to make the most coveted attributes rather expensive to max (if at all possible)...

• fishy unfeatured this topic