Traveling History with William Groves Part 9: Coming to Cologne

Will3

Already part 9 of this series. The season has a quick one. Of course the season is over and the VHLE playoff have started. The Watchmen are currently locked in combat against Rome. I know this series will a fierce battle for every game. Over inthe other series, Stockholm is up against the Cologne Express. I haven't talked about Cologne in this series yet, so to celebrate the start of the playoffs, let me tell you about Cologne. The Old Town is of course a favorite place to wonder and get a feel for traditional life in Cologne. Around this area are the 12 great Romanesque churches, none of which are greater than the Cologne Cathedral. I highly recommend taking a tour of this masterpiece of High Gothic architecture. The other churches in the area are also worth a stop to see. Not ever stop needs to be a fun one. The NS Documentation Centre of the City of Cologne is a sad but important place to visit. The NSDOS as it sometimes known is set in a building that was used as a Gestapo holding cell. I don't think I have to describe it futher. It helps you see just how much damage tyrants can cause. To refocus my mind after a experience like that, I go to the Cologne Chocolate Museum.  Learning about the history of and witnessing chocolate making is enjoyable.  The free samples and being able to design my own chocolate bar that I can keep are also sweet. Other museums worth seeing include The Wallraf-Richaetz & Ludwig Museums, The Roman-Gremanic Museum, and The Museum of Applied Art. There are many other locations both within the city and in the nearby suburbs of Bruhl that are worth visiting. Depending on how the playoffs shake out, I might be visiting these places very soon.

Edited by Will3