Europe has a Butt

fonziGG

Gotcha on the title. This is becoming a norm now, where I just ramble on a saturday afternoon before the big day. Well, here it is.

Something had to give with the meta, and I absolutely am in favour of these new hybrid attributes. The only thing is, now we all have to learn what works as a build and what doesn't. Which, in my person opinion, will be a fun thing to do. Will there eventually be a new meta? Absolutely. I don't doubt for a minute with nerds on the internet and a simulation league that we won't have a meta. The thing is, meta's won't hurt us as harshly as the 90 SC 40 PA world, which will be nice. I do, whole heartedly, believe we will have a meta again. What will it look like? No idea. But we were trending towards it all the years leading up to.

Time to talk a little bit about my time in Vancouver. Now, I was running my team with Sixers until he decided to step down. So what did I naturally do? Well, I hired Nyko. Why? No clue. Obvious mistake for the league. We got to talking, he was testing a bit and we decided to buy into this 90 SC 40 PA world. Lets do this, I remember saying. Lets break the VHL. Eventually, I stepped down due to IRL reasoning but we got to see this day. I'm also not going to take claim for Vancouvers success. I think we can say, I played a part in it, but that's about it. Sorry VHL, blame Nyko obviously!

You know what's really nice about these hybrid attributes is that we might see diversity in our players. We needed some parity, we needed variety, and I believe this gives that to us. We're going to have more range in our players which is something we needed. It's what the pro's have as well. Players that a great in different ways, not just in 1 specific way. This gives GM's, AGM's and commissioners more thoughts when it comes to helping the new players, which IMO is great. Getting our minds moving will be good for them and us old VHL bum heads. I'm very excited about these changes.

It's sad in a way that we lost our privileges to the clients attributes since I never got to prove that LD was a valuable attribute. That's honestly the most disappointing part. I wish I could have. I probably should have. My hypothesis was that 50-55 LD made your player a top tier player. Reason being was that you could hype your team up. Apparently, LD meant that your player could bring your teams morale up (seriously) during a game, meaning if a goal was scored, you're more likely to get your team to perform better. I honestly think that the meta builds with a little bit of leadership would have been over powered as fuck and I'm glad we never got to see it but at the same time, as an avid user, I'd have loved to proven this hypothesis. Alas, maybe I'll prove it in test sims one day, I'm not trying to give away all the companies secrets, at least!

14 hours ago, fonziGG said:

My hypothesis was that 50-55 LD made your player a top tier player. Reason being was that you could hype your team up. Apparently, LD meant that your player could bring your teams morale up (seriously) during a game, meaning if a goal was scored, you're more likely to get your team to perform better. I honestly think that the meta builds with a little bit of leadership would have been over powered as fuck and I'm glad we never got to see it but at the same time, as an avid user, I'd have loved to proven this hypothesis. Alas, maybe I'll prove it in test sims one day, I'm not trying to give away all the companies secrets, at least!

I think tests were already ran on it and it was found to basically do nothing because league sliders for morale are set to the minimum value to stop teams snowballing too hard. That being said, both me an Jardy had a hypothesis along those same lines, that I haven't been able to get any confirmation on if it was tested or not. Which is: what if everyone on your team bought into it and picked up some LD? Because just getting it to 70 in the olden days is only 30 TPE. Maybe Simon was doing Simon things and they all stack on top of each other? Maybe with zeroed out morale sliders that still does nothing? It was an interesting thing to have tested out at least. And it still could be, since LD is still in there and because of its scaling it is technically costed at 1/6th of SC. So unless LD literally does nothing, it was basically made 6 times better.

With how tight TPE is now it would probably be harder sell to get people to try it out though, since you no longer "run out of useful attributes" like you used to.

I also don't know if the LD testing was done on a random player, or on whoever is set as captain/ass captain in the sim. Because you'd assume LD works a lot better on the captains.🤷‍♂️

19 hours ago, Shindigs said:

I think tests were already ran on it and it was found to basically do nothing because league sliders for morale are set to the minimum value to stop teams snowballing too hard. That being said, both me an Jardy had a hypothesis along those same lines, that I haven't been able to get any confirmation on if it was tested or not. Which is: what if everyone on your team bought into it and picked up some LD? Because just getting it to 70 in the olden days is only 30 TPE. Maybe Simon was doing Simon things and they all stack on top of each other? Maybe with zeroed out morale sliders that still does nothing? It was an interesting thing to have tested out at least. And it still could be, since LD is still in there and because of its scaling it is technically costed at 1/6th of SC. So unless LD literally does nothing, it was basically made 6 times better.

With how tight TPE is now it would probably be harder sell to get people to try it out though, since you no longer "run out of useful attributes" like you used to.

I also don't know if the LD testing was done on a random player, or on whoever is set as captain/ass captain in the sim. Because you'd assume LD works a lot better on the captains.🤷‍♂️

TBH I've noticed all my players explode when I invest in LD. Look at Michael Johnson for example.

It definitely has some merit and I think the fact that it's completely ignored is hilarious. Maybe it's the best in goalies or something? Theres something there and I just can't put my pinky on it.

2 hours ago, fonziGG said:

Maybe it's the best in goalies or something?

I mean they do never leave the ice, so that could be a thing.🤔 Relatively speaking LD just got cheaper, so if where's any time to try it out. Now would probably be it, maybe try and sell Jeff on it being the future in Chicago? I'd be down to try it at least, since ~60 LD costs as much as a single point of SC or DF when you're in the mid 80s anyways.

One argument for it, I guess, is that thing STHS does where it tries to match your ice time to your OVR compared to the OVR of the rest of the team. We've had issues with that making us unable to give certain players as much ice time as we want in Bratislava this season. And STHS doesn't care about our update scale. So spending 30 TPE on 20 LD will obviously up your OVR a lot more than spending 30 TPE on 1 DF. And more OVR = More Ice Time = More stats. So that could actually make some sense, now that I think about it.

22 hours ago, Shindigs said:

Unless it is it is for comic value, the 'A' does not stand for 'ass(istant) captain' but for alt(ernate) captain.... but yeah I would be interested to know about this leadership attribute as well because I spent some points in it before I found building guides, as I wanted my player to be a leader on the ice...

Just now, Daniel Janser said:

Unless it is it is for comic value, the 'A' does not stand for 'ass(istant) captain' but for alt(ernate) captain.... but yeah I would be interested to know about this leadership attribute as well because I spent some points in it before I found building guides, as I wanted my player to be a leader on the ice...

I mean his player's name is Seymour Butts, if he get the A, he's an Ass Captain for sure!

Really though with how comparably cheap LD is now, I feel like if there was ever a time to go for it. Now would be it, especially since you have a free re-roll within 3 seasons. It's just going to be a pain to fit it until you're into like the 500+ range of TPA. But I guess your player is going to be into the 600s by next season, so you could feasibly try it out.

2 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

I mean his player's name is Seymour Butts, if he get the A, he's an Ass Captain for sure!

Really though with how comparably cheap LD is now, I feel like if there was ever a time to go for it. Now would be it, especially since you have a free re-roll within 3 seasons. It's just going to be a pain to fit it until you're into like the 500+ range of TPA. But I guess your player is going to be into the 600s by next season, so you could feasibly try it out.

Fair enough on both accounts

9 hours ago, Shindigs said:

I mean they do never leave the ice, so that could be a thing.🤔 Relatively speaking LD just got cheaper, so if where's any time to try it out. Now would probably be it, maybe try and sell Jeff on it being the future in Chicago? I'd be down to try it at least, since ~60 LD costs as much as a single point of SC or DF when you're in the mid 80s anyways.

One argument for it, I guess, is that thing STHS does where it tries to match your ice time to your OVR compared to the OVR of the rest of the team. We've had issues with that making us unable to give certain players as much ice time as we want in Bratislava this season. And STHS doesn't care about our update scale. So spending 30 TPE on 20 LD will obviously up your OVR a lot more than spending 30 TPE on 1 DF. And more OVR = More Ice Time = More stats. So that could actually make some sense, now that I think about it.

I think Jeff drafted me knowing I'm gunna build however I want considering I'm a former GM in the league and whatnot. The trust is there in that regard. I'll throw down 60 LD and we can keep track of it individually before that reroll comes down and see how it goes. Granted, my thoughts and beliefs are that not just 1 player does it, most players do it. And max at 50 so it's not the most expensive thing to do.

8 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

Leadership is like... Salt ontop of your food after it's all cooked and done. Sure, it's great, but it doesn't necessarily make your player better at the fundamentals. You might WIN more in your career with it. So, there could be some value somewhere in there.

8 hours ago, Shindigs said:

GOD DAMN IT SHINDIGS YOU HAVE CONVINCED ME TO DO IT YOU CRAZY MFER!!!! LETS DO THIS BABY

16 minutes ago, fonziGG said:

GOD DAMN IT SHINDIGS YOU HAVE CONVINCED ME TO DO IT YOU CRAZY MFER!!!! LETS DO THIS BABY

Excited Ric Flair GIF

Let's goooo! I'll probably do it to some extent as well, though I'm kinda eyeing that fancy "poise". Because I love me some negative CK stat to keep it clean.😅

28 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

Excited Ric Flair GIF

Let's goooo! I'll probably do it to some extent as well, though I'm kinda eyeing that fancy "poise". Because I love me some negative CK stat to keep it clean.😅

DI?

9 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

It will create a choirboy if you ask me ;)

Can't kill penalties if you're in the box. Bo very nearly got the fair play award in Bratislava this season, then he lost his damn mind around game 69 (not nice) and took 3 minors in 2 games.

Just now, Shindigs said:

Can't kill penalties if you're in the box. Bo very nearly got the fair play award in Bratislava this season, then he lost his damn mind around game 69 (not nice) and took 3 minors in 2 games.

we had two players in the Wranglers this regular season who did not take a penalty until the very end... around the same time you lost your plot, Nasherov and Perry took a five minute major for fighting each....

Just now, Daniel Janser said:

we had two players in the Wranglers this regular season who did not take a penalty until the very end... around the same time you lost your plot, Nasherov and Perry took a five minute major for fighting each....

Must have been something in the water. But yeah as a Dman you'll always get some PIMs pretty much, unless you get way lucky. I think Bo ended on like 27? Which is still very low for D. One Major in there, IIRC.

2 hours ago, Shindigs said:

Must have been something in the water. But yeah as a Dman you'll always get some PIMs pretty much, unless you get way lucky. I think Bo ended on like 27? Which is still very low for D. One Major in there, IIRC.

must be with an uneven number.... I had 8 fighting majors in the season and that is without putting a single point into fighting...

8 hours ago, fonziGG said:

I had it as a friend once and it fucked me, best friend. So be careful!!!!

That sneaky bastard! Well I just have a little of it rn to avoid taking too many penalties, and it's working pretty well. Though I wouldn't want to get too much of it, or it may start plotting against me too.👀

On 3/17/2022 at 1:50 AM, Shindigs said:

That sneaky bastard! Well I just have a little of it rn to avoid taking too many penalties, and it's working pretty well. Though I wouldn't want to get too much of it, or it may start plotting against me too.👀

Yeah I believe it limits your hits so if you’re investing in checking, it’s actually a backwards move 😂😂

1 minute ago, fonziGG said:

Yeah I believe it limits your hits so if you’re investing in checking, it’s actually a backwards move 😂😂

It does indeed, but I'm also not investing in checking so that's kind of the point.😅 Bo is a pure puck on stick defenseman. Making sure to stay out of the box to get those PK minutes.