Bite Size Berocka #16

Berocka

Oz Tag eh? You fit mofo.

Don't be negative, SEA can win!

Speaking of hybrid updates, being a numbers whiz, can you calculate my best build? Thanks in advance.

You didn't meet Mrs Boot? She's a fake! I'm impressed by Boot's imitation of a ladys voice.

Mazda 3? What happened to the Rolls?

London does have a better logo option.

I'd put a team in Lismore...maybe The Leeches.

Yes I am cool.

Yes, VHLE has fucked up the GM pool. Time for me to enter the arena. Come play for me.

I think the word you were looking for was unpersonalizationed. Wait, no.

I'm in the VHL to make friends. Cup chasers are poop.

Time flies. Two years eh?

Bye Berocka.

"Where are VHLE GMs and Players at"

Can't speak for everyone obviously. There are some players who know they will never earn enough to be star players in the VHL proper who try and stay in the E so they get that star player experience. But most are looking to move on, while hoping to maybe win a cup in their one season there. Usually they are still learning about the league, at least to some degree. So that aspect is still present.

GM (well, AGM) side. I can say that there is still a fair bit of player development going on in the E, it's not on the same basic level as in the M. But it's still very much a thing that has some part in the job. There's enough parts to the league that you still have a lot to learn by your second season for most players.

For the winning part, which is obviously the stated goal of the league, that's where it gets a bit tricky. As ideally we still want to reward development and activity in players, but the reality of the situation is that if you want to win in the current E landscape, you *want* your players to go IA in the mid 300s of TPE. Because their VHL team probably won't call them up, but they are still close enough to 400 that they'll be a star player until the cows come home in the E. Whereas your max earning 1st round draft pick(s) will be gone from the E after one season.

The impact the above has on retention isn't great, as one might imagine. No one likes being stuck behind an IA for an entire season, getting bottom minutes because a player that is for all intents and purposes a bot at this point, happens to have more TPA than you do. It's likely something that will need to be looked into in the future.

1 hour ago, Shindigs said:

The impact the above has on retention isn't great, as one might imagine. No one likes being stuck behind an IA for an entire season, getting bottom minutes because a player that is for all intents and purposes a bot at this point, happens to have more TPA than you do. It's likely something that will need to be looked into in the future.

Yeah I found that mildly frustrating during my time in Oslo. It felt that there were two 'real' players at the start of the season (Nezuko and me) and the rest basically better bots. In one instance a player was dressing for Oslo as well as a VHL team (cannot remember the details anymore) and I addressed it in the locker room.

Now that was a very special situation as Oslo was just being promoted and had to find players in a jiffy, I understand that.  But maybe we should consider still an 'IA rule' similar to the VHLM (maybe with longer time frames). Because on one side the E does need a certain player pool and lets be honest, addicted committed max earner recreates can time their 'reincarnation' in a way that they will make the jump from the M to the VHL directly. So they are lost to the E. On the other side it is not exactly motivating when your team's topscorer is a player who is that IA that they do not even fight regression anymore, which for me is a prime indicator that the user just does not give two fucks anymore about their players and/or the league.

1 minute ago, Daniel Janser said:

But maybe we should consider still an 'IA rule' similar to the VHLM (maybe with longer time frames).

Something along the lines of that probably has to happen at some point. Or at least some form of formal stance from the league that you should never play IAs over actives. Right now there is nothing that says you can't, and it is a competitive league. So you should expect GM to make the winning decision, even if that decision is detrimental to the league as a whole.

The thing is that there are no IA rules in the VHL either, and since both the VHL and VHLE are meant to be competitive leagues it doesn't really make sense for one to have IA rules and the other to not have them, so I get why there isn't one. But at the same time, the VHLE does serve a pretty major purpose in the supply chain of prospects. That part of its purpose is hurt from the lack of such a rule, at least in my eyes. But at the same time if you added a strict IA rule to the E. You'd be very bot heavy for the most part, which isn't great either. But at least those bots wouldn't steal the prime ice time from "real" players, and it would potentially shift the E focus away from hoarding IAs and towards actually promoting good prospect development as part of creating a winning team. Which I think would be healthy for the league as a whole.

The people who would be hurt are those who want to be VHLE lifers for whatever reason, and they do exist. Some of them "look" like IAs, but are really just sitting on high 300s and telling their VHL GMs they don't want to be called up. So there should still be a way for them to do their career VHLE-player experience. I've gotten a lot of contradiction on if simply posting on the forums counts as maintaining activity for someone that doesn't update TPE. I used to think it did, but was told it didn't anymore by someone. So maybe they'd still be able to avoid being actually IA?🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

Something along the lines of that probably has to happen at some point. Or at least some form of formal stance from the league that you should never play IAs over actives. Right now there is nothing that says you can't, and it is a competitive league. So you should expect GM to make the winning decision, even if that decision is detrimental to the league as a whole.

The thing is that there are no IA rules in the VHL either, and since both the VHL and VHLE are meant to be competitive leagues it doesn't really make sense for one to have IA rules and the other to not have them, so I get why there isn't one. But at the same time, the VHLE does serve a pretty major purpose in the supply chain of prospects. That part of its purpose is hurt from the lack of such a rule, at least in my eyes. But at the same time if you added a strict IA rule to the E. You'd be very bot heavy for the most part, which isn't great either. But at least those bots wouldn't steal the prime ice time from "real" players, and it would potentially shift the E focus away from hoarding IAs and towards actually promoting good prospect development as part of creating a winning team. Which I think would be healthy for the league as a whole.

The people who would be hurt are those who want to be VHLE lifers for whatever reason, and they do exist. Some of them "look" like IAs, but are really just sitting on high 300s and telling their VHL GMs they don't want to be called up. So there should still be a way for them to do their career VHLE-player experience. I've gotten a lot of contradiction on if simply posting on the forums counts as maintaining activity for someone that doesn't update TPE. I used to think it did, but was told it didn't anymore by someone. So maybe they'd still be able to avoid being actually IA?🤷‍♂️

I am with you on this. I mean if these VHLE lifers (and to be clear, I do not think there is anything wrong with that (and neither did I take yours as a slander on these players)) at least participate in the locker room, update every now and then (and if only by clicking) and maybe post the odd comment in the forum, I think few would have a problem to be put in second row, if the vets are still having a more complete build and help the team win matches. 

The whole thing looks different if the player in question has already a few seasons in the big show under their belt but was 'demoted' to the E by way of depreciation and failure to update for an extended amount of time, but still sports TPE close to the 400 mark. I think these kind of player should be treated as bots (especially if they also do not show up anywhere in the forum/locker room).

I am sure exceptions can be made for people who take a sabbatical to travel the world, have to do their civic duty such as compulsory military service etc., or have to prepare for final exams of their education... 

- I don’t know a lot about rugby, but I’m certain it’s not at all the same as flag football!

- I’m glad the Boot Killer didn’t strike you when

- Nice belch. You disgust me.

- I think anyone can GM, even if they’re bad at it. As long as everyone’s having fun!