Malum Maellard Rookie Experience

frescoelmo

Rookie Experience – D Malum Maellard

San Diego Marlins / New York Americans

See the source image

Maellard, like many of his peers, has had his share of acclimation early in his rookie season of professional hockey.  The difference being for Malum that he was lucky enough to join an active and young roster full of players in a similar situation.  “We have been learning together, trying to figure out this whole ‘new meta’," Malum explained.  “Our general and assistant general managers have really tried to encourage conversation on what is the best way to utilize our practice hours under this new system.  I think myself, along with the team, has really benefitted from utilizing our team think.”

Just a hair under the VHLM practice hour limit, Malum has focused on his calling cards, that being strong defensive play and puck possession.  “My coaches and I have agreed since I started skating that I have a really good awareness of where the puck is, where players are anticipating the play developing and how I can stop it,” Malum finished.  Now comes the hard part; what will Malum do with the additional hours that he cannot accumulate?  “I’ve been thinking about that, and both the general manager @Frank and I think it would be wise to just keep strengthening my core values.  That means good skating, passing, checking and defense.”

See the source image

Although not necessarily how he envisioned his first 10 games going in San Diego, Malum leads all defenseman and is second on the team in scoring.  “Maybe I found a new skill, that being shooting,” Maellard continued to divulge to the media.  “Never would I have guessed nearly a 15% shot percentage…  Is it me?  The goalies?  Guess we’ll have to wait and see.”  He certainly wasted no time in expressing his disappointment on his hit total, pointing to the 13 checks and only four penalty minutes so far.  “I love to hit people above all else.  The (VHL)M is a different beast though.  This year is unique.  Everyone has so much more to take in this season, so I’ll take what I can get.  Hopefully I get more opportunities to beat some guys up.”

As Season 83 continued, Malum rounded his game out, and the assists continued to pile up.  “The Marlins’ locker room has been a fun environment and I have been blessed to have received the opportunity to show how I can benefit a VHL team on both sides of the ice."  Although it abruptly ended in a series-deciding game 7 against Las Vegas, Malum led the league in assists and was noted in a few other categories.  "To be at the top of your league in a lot of areas is a blessing and something I can really hang my hat on.  I hope it increases my prospects and visibility with teams at the highest level."

For however long prospects think their rookie season goes, the off-season is equally as quick.  Not more than a week or two after Malum skated in San Diego for his final time, we was receiving a call about the tenth overall pick from green thumb general manager @MexicanCow123.  The call was received well as Malum was deeply intoxicated.  "He (cow) was kind of just like, 'buddy, we got you, I got the pick back and we got you.  Flying you out to New York tomorrow.  SIMMMMMS.'  So I was like who is this guy?  But pretty excited.  Didn't have to leave to head over the pond or anything like that.  Big apple.  Should be a good time," Maellard explained about his first interaction with the New York boss.

The move to the Americans' blueline certainly will come with bumps and bruises, and although Malum COULD play in New York this season (84), both front office and Malum agree that another year of seasoning is probably for the best.  "New York is in a great situation, but I think I would be lying if I said they were ready to compete this year.  They have a lot of talent at the lower levels and it is going to take some time to bring it all together.  No real need to risk my development by throwing me into the VHL right from the get-go.  It's different than it was 30-40 seasons ago, where you could make that jump (VHLM to VHL) pretty easily without a ton of doubt.  With the (VHL)E around though, the highest level really has no room for error," Malum finished.  Already close to the practice house cap in the VHLE, it will be interesting to see how he spends his last few practices before his training ends.  That would be voided if and when the Americans' brass decide to call him up to the VHL.

As he has expressed previously in San Diego, Malum continues to pledge his efforts in training towards becoming a better skater, checking more often and sprinkling in some slap shots.  "As it was before on San Diego, moving into a different building temporarily brings a lot of challenges.  I will eventually play another season in the minors before moving up to New York.  Acclimation and what not, I've done this before so I don't think the road will be nearly as bumpy."  Challenging himself, Malum pressed, "I'd really like to see myself take more chances checking forwards, even if it comes with the occasional penalty.  I think people are scared to do one since it is loosely tied to the other.  But I can't really afford to head to New York, whether it is in Season 84 or 85 and not really have that card in my bag.  A defensive defenseman that doesn't hit people?  Not sure it works that way."

Edited by frescoelmo