2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

Because they're a bad hockey team. Duh.

Duh. Anyone that thinks Canucks make the playoffs over the likes of SJ/DAL are on crack.

ANA, CHI, STL, NSH, MIN, LA, CGY, SJ should/will be the 8 teams

lol it was the first game. and obviously Brandon Sutter wont be the first line center in the Reg Season.

watch for a better game tomorrow. 

We've already gone from "wait to see them play" to "wait for the regular season". Ha. Okay. Of course he won't be the first line centre, but they're forcing the square peg into the round hole of the second line centre. Sutter between Baertschi and Vrbata did not work at all. He was bad. Deal with it.

It'll be a different group tomorrow, I assume with the Sedins playing... so I certainly hope the game will be better.

We've already gone from "wait to see them play" to "wait for the regular season". Ha. Okay. Of course he won't be the first line centre, but they're forcing the square peg into the round hole of the second line centre. Sutter between Baertschi and Vrbata did not work at all. He was bad. Deal with it.

It'll be a different group tomorrow, I assume with the Sedins playing... so I certainly hope the game will be better.

That's because Baertschi is a flash in the pan. Also, I love the panic for a team that should finish out of the playoffs for more draft picks. Who cares.

Duh. Anyone that thinks Canucks make the playoffs over the likes of SJ/DAL are on crack.

ANA, CHI, STL, NSH, MIN, LA, CGY, SJ should/will be the 8 teams

SJ has a guy thats played like 30 games as there starter. Calgary had an amazing season last year, no way they repeat. Minnesota is meh. No teams in the NHL are locks right now, remember last season when everybody thought LA and Boston were locks to make the playoffs? Well they didnt make it. Teams like the Canucks, Flames, Capitals and others (who were fringe playoff teams) showed that. 

Flames won't repeat last year agreed, they will be better. If you haven't noticed both the Flames and Oilers enhanced their lineups drastically, something the Canucks didn't really accomplish. Not to mention Minnesota has Dybnyk locked down so he will be their starter for the year instead of just half of it.

Hard to really pin any team a playoff team in the west besides Anaheim.

it was literally the first game of preseason. quit being so pessimistic. :P 

That's because Baertschi is a flash in the pan. Also, I love the panic for a team that should finish out of the playoffs for more draft picks. Who cares.

Baertschi was the biggest threat to score on that god forsaken line last night. Vrbata floated around the outside of the ice and threw the puck at the net, and Sutter was just... there. And what are you talking about? Yeah, they're going to miss the playoffs, but the problem is management is fucking delusional and think they got better.

They need higher draft picks, more draft picks, and elite talent to replace the Sedins in a few years. Instead they're going to get middling picks, they're trading picks away, and they don't have anyone to take up the torch from the Twins. Things need to change or it's gonna get super ugly in four years.

Baertschi was the biggest threat to score on that god forsaken line last night. Vrbata floated around the outside of the ice and threw the puck at the net, and Sutter was just... there. And what are you talking about? Yeah, they're going to miss the playoffs, but the problem is management is fucking delusional and think they got better.

They need higher draft picks, more draft picks, and elite talent to replace the Sedins in a few years. Instead they're going to get middling picks, they're trading picks away, and they don't have anyone to take up the torch from the Twins. Things need to change or it's gonna get super ugly in four years.

And you are complaining? Super ugly is what they need. Don't kid yourself Sven Baertschi is not the lord and savior that you have talked up. There is a reason he has had a fairly rocky road to the NHL so far, he lacks consistency. But hey continue the false hope and keep being pessimistic about a squad that sucks.

I don't get it though, why complain and be angry at the team but at the same time not want them to go anywhere this year? Just let them suck. I mean as a Devils fan, we watched our team suck for so many years including present day, but we ended up on our feet and won 3 cups out of that as well.

And you are complaining? Super ugly is what they need. Don't kid yourself Sven Baertschi is not the lord and savior that you have talked up. There is a reason he has had a fairly rocky road to the NHL so far, he lacks consistency. But hey continue the false hope and keep being pessimistic about a squad that sucks.

I don't get it though, why complain and be angry at the team but at the same time not want them to go anywhere this year? Just let them suck. I mean as a Devils fan, we watched our team suck for so many years including present day, but we ended up on our feet and won 3 cups out of that as well.

No, they need some high draft picks used on elite offensive talent. "Super ugly" would be the hockey purgatory of not good enough for the playoffs, but not shitty enough to draft in the top 10. When have I ever called Baertschi a saviour? He's a promising prospect who looks threatening when he has the puck in the offensive zone. Not many Canucks who fit that bill period.

I don't know why I keep needing to explain this. It's not complex. I would rather they suck and get a high draft pick, but management is hellbent on the playoffs. My frustrating comes from the fact that they are 1) so fucking adamantly doing that and 2) doing a shitty job of making a playoff team. They think they have improved the team, and I don't want the idiots with that mindset in charge of the inevitable rebuild.

Edited by Sandro

No, they need some high draft picks used on elite offensive talent. "Super ugly" would be the hockey purgatory of not good enough for the playoffs, but not shitty enough to draft in the top 10. When have I ever called Baertschi a saviour? He's a promising prospect who looks threatening when he has the puck in the offensive zone. Not many Canucks who fit that bill period.

I don't know why I keep needing to explain this. It's not complex. I would rather they suck and get a high draft pick, but management is hellbent on the playoffs. My frustrating comes from the fact that they are 1) so fucking adamantly doing that and 2) doing a shitty job of making a playoff team. They think they have improved the team, and I don't want the idiots with that mindset in charge of the inevitable rebuild.

It's not management that wants them to make the playoffs haha. It's ownership that wants the increased revenue from playoffs. They don't give a shit about you fans. Aqualini's are about making money, it just so happens the one who has more control of the Canucks is the same one with the worst investments. His brothers don't have as many failed properties as Francesco does. That's where the issue is. Which is why if I were you I wouldn't care what talent they put on the ice, as long as it sucks. So when Sutter sucks, who cares thats perfect. When Luca Sbisa coughs up the puck, sweet!

The idiots in charge are the ones in charge, get used to it. Management isn't that bad, but ownership is completely stupid. Plus it's not like if management wanted to go rogue and go get every quality player they can get, they could. Because trading away aging veterans with NTC's and expecting a large return is just crazy. Not to mention Canuck fans tend to overvalue some of the players they have. The system, line combos and other things can give a false impression. Shawn Matthias is a good player? Or was Shawn Matthias hot and they gave him a few more minutes a game to try his luck. When they have guys who do well on the second/fourth line and deserve a contract they don't sign them (i.e. Santorelli, Raymond). Alex Edler a good player? Or a product of a coach who no longer plays there. Ownership fired AV for what exactly?

SJ has a guy thats played like 30 games as there starter. Calgary had an amazing season last year, no way they repeat. Minnesota is meh. No teams in the NHL are locks right now, remember last season when everybody thought LA and Boston were locks to make the playoffs? Well they didnt make it. Teams like the Canucks, Flames, Capitals and others (who were fringe playoff teams) showed that.

Flames added Hamilton and will likely have Bennett in the lineup. Frolik adds depth. We got better. So even if you do a sophomore regression on Johnny, overall team will be better especially if we have a healthy Gio. Not contenders yet but playoffs are expected.

Kendrick, as our local law enforcement resource, how do you make of the latest shitstorm with the Kane saga and now possibly tampered evidence?

I haven't actually paid that much attention. All I know is on the surface it looks like someone is attempting to get money out of it, then again I haven't read into it much. Apparently the rape kit and other evidence was found at the victims mothers house now? Which is a very strange turn of events considering that it would be in the investigators hands/property.

I haven't read too much into before that though, just from the surface I heard it was a house party? Is that right? I honestly don't know haha.

Edited by Kendrick