Tomas Sogaard | Rookie Experience

Brandon

PREGAME | Pettersson vs. Flames | NHL.com

The road to the VHL hasn't been an easy one for Tomas Sogaard, but it's been one filled with lessons, experience, and familiar faces along the way. Drafted by the Moscow Menace 15th overall in the S83 VHL entry draft, Tomas Sogaard is looking to make the jump to the big leagues. After standing out in the S82 VHLM playoffs, with 11 goals, and 8 assists, for 19 points in 11 games, Sogaard struggled to find consistency and regain his goal-scoring touch in the S83 VHLE season. With a measly 42 points in 62 games, it was a tough pill to swallow for the young Danish prospect. It goes to show that nothing comes easy, and you will have to continually work hard no matter the results on the ice. 

Transitioning to the VHL, Tomas Sogaard is hoping to work on his scoring, skating, defense, and possibly checking in the upcoming season in order to best position himself to be able to succeed in such a competitive league, and to increase his odds to play on Moscow's first line alongside The Seabasstard and Henri le Massif, 2 extremely strong and consistently performing players for the last number of seasons. When talking with Tomas Sogaard, this is what he had to say about the S84 Moscow Menace roster:

"Honestly, I'm extremely excited to be making the move up to the VHL and joining such a well-established and highly regarded organization such as Moscow. Euron Leonidas, the general manager, has done a phenomenal job at constructing the existing roster, and getting the most out of his team while balancing restrictions such as salary cap, and still drafting extremely well with late round draft positions over recent seasons. I have a lot of trust and faith in the decisions that Euron has made, and will continue to make."

"What I'm most looking forward to is playing alongside such strong centers in The Seabasstard and Sergey Preobrazhensky, no matter what line I'm on, I know I can trust the people down the middle to drive the play up the ice and make the right decisions. It's been a while since I had such a strong and dominant center on my line, which was Leandro Goncalves in S82. I'm going to do everything in my power to work towards playing on that first line, but regardless of where I play, I'll be more than happy. It's hard to see a hole on this roster. It's an interesting feeling moving up to the VHL, it almost feels like I've been here before, so there aren't any nerves."

Scouts are curious to see how Sogaard pans out in the VHL. After a strong VHLM and weak VHLE season, it's up in the air to how Sogaard will perform in his rookie VHL season. When comparing Tomas Sogaard to other VHL players, there is a clear weakness in his skating that will need to be addressed sooner rather than later. Although it seems like he has been putting in the work behind the scenes, so we'll see if it can translate to the ice. After being picked as the 2nd last pick in the first round of the S83 VHL Entry Draft, Sogaard is hoping to make himself one of the best of his draft class, a name to remember.