S84 Moscow Menace Jersey Retirements

Spartan

:mos::mos::mos:

It's been quite a while since I made one of these posts, but it is the perfect time to do so. While the two players being recognized today are not yet retired, both no longer play for Moscow - and one is in town to play against the Menace in tomorrow's sim. Both players are due to retire at the end of this season, and considering their backstory, it makes perfect sense for both to be retired together.

Anyways, into the ceremony!

---

Our first jersey retirement is going to one of the most underrated players in franchise history, and also the first draft pick I ever made as Moscow's GM back in S77 at first overall. Despite not receiving any individual recognition during his time on Moscow, he attained 3rd place on the franchise's leaderboard for points - also currently 2nd in franchise goals, 7th in franchise assists, and 3rd in game winning goals. It's certain that without this player, Moscow would not have gone to the finals in S80, S81 or S82, as he finished with 73 playoff points in just 55 games. He finished his Moscow career with 432 GP, 220 G, 288 A, and 508 P.

This user is also receiving his second jersey retirement here in Moscow, previously behind the winningest goaltender in Moscow franchise history. He is one of the best people I have encountered in all of sim leagues, and his personality along with his passion for the VHL led me to select him first overall. It remains one of my best moves as a GM, and his contributions to the franchise as a player, the locker room as a user, and an advisor to me in management are unforgettable. He makes sim leagues fun, and the community a better place.

I am extremely thrilled to announce the jersey retirement of:

C - Paul Atreides - @Mr_Hatter

15_Atreides_V01.png

---

Our second retiree is in town tonight, preparing to face off against the Menace tomorrow after a trade last off-season that sent him to the D.C. Dragons. We wanted to recognize him before his first game back in Moscow, as his legacy is simply that of the best player in Moscow's history. Tied for 2nd in franchise games played with 504, he finished 1st in franchise regular-season goals, points, PIMs (lol), hits, shots, and game winning goals. Looking at his playoff contributions, he also finished first in franchise post-season goals, points, PIMs (smh), hits, shots, and game winning goals. Clearly, he holds the majority of franchise records in both the regular-season and post-season.

Along the same veins as Paul Atreides, this player was also among the very first crop of players I selected to join Moscow in the S77 Draft, but at 3rd overall. He has been another crucial part of our core, leading the franchise to four European Conference championships and four Continental Cup finals in a row. As a player, he served as captain, and as a user, another trusted advisor who contributed to the overall direction of the franchise from behind the scenes.

A surefire Hall of Famer boasting four Boulet trophies in a row, along with an MVP win and RotY trophy, it is my honor to retire the jersey of:

RW - Duncan Idaho - @OrbitingDeath

19_Idaho_V01.png

---

To Hatter - As I've said before, I can't thank you enough for agreeing to return to Moscow for the greater part of a second player's career, trusting me with your player and assisting from the shadows.

To OD - Thank you for believing and supporting in me and the direction of the team. Your assistance throughout the seasons meant more than you know, and I'm glad you've also become a hardcore Moscowite.

Best of luck to you both as you finish out your careers ❤️

Obligatory @Beketov tag to add this to the retirement post.

12 minutes ago, Banackock said:

What is quite a while just for when I make my post? Because I thought it had been quite awhile too. 

Last one was in S79, for Bernard and Lahtinen. So not really a while from a "number of seasons between retirements" perspective, but almost a year since the last set of retirements.

Congratulations to you both! It was an honor to be able to play with both of you and it was fun to share our consecutive trips to finals with you two. Too bad we couldn't get it done but we still had a blast.

Well deserved guys 

Edited by Seabass