Reid Johnson - Junior Review

TopTiddee2

Many say that starting out homeless on the streets in Chicago is very dangerous. No body thinks that the person lying on the park bench will become anything in their life. However, Reid Johnson shut down the critics and became a potential NHL draft pick. 

Born on May 8th, 2003, in a King's Inn in South Dakota, Reid wound up homeless after leaving his abusive parents. Though he had never played competitive hockey before, he owned a pair of roller blades and used to skate around downtown Chicago. While skating through the west side during rush hour, Coach Fliberknackle, a young coach for the Chicago Mission 8U team, caught Reid rolling around, and thought he had an excellent stride. While walking down a park sidewalk after work, Fliberknackle found Reid sleeping on a park bench. He woke up and was startled to see someone talking to him. After reassuring that he wasn't going to rob him and wanted to talk about hockey, Coach took Reid to a Blackhawks game, giving Reid a sense of how hockey works. After the game, Coach asked if he needed a place to stay, and Reid couldn't refuse. After eventually spending a week at his residence, Reid asked why Coach let him stay. Coach stated:

"It's because I was in your position at one point in my life. It seemed as no one wanted anything to do with me, but I found a passion in hockey and made it to the big leagues. I want to give you the opportunity because you have been through so much in your life already."

After that, Reid went to a practice for the 12U team and had great footwork. Coach put him on the 4th line to start and give him a chance to get his feet wet. Obviously not playing hockey before, his stick work was lackluster. Due to the team falling behind in the national rankings, Coach moved Reid back to defense and continued to work with Reid on his shooting and his puck handling. His numbers shot up, as he potted 12 goals and 45 assists in 35 games. 

Making the 14U team the next year, Reid became a 1st line D and lit up the competition. College scouts from schools like the University of Minnesota and the University of Denver began to take notice. At the end of the season, Reid scored 18 goals and 51 assists in 40 games. Being named a top 5 pick in the 2021 NHL Draft is something Reid never saw coming. He won a national championship during that season, and earned team MVP awards. 

Going ahead to 2018, during a game against Compuware, Reid took a hit and twisted his knee, and fell to the ice quick. Being rushed to the hospital following the hit, it was confirmed that Reid had torn his ACL and MCL, requiring surgery. He missed the season, witnessing the team go 25-10. Due to injury scares, most NHL teams had him dropped to the 6th round in their mock drafts. He attempted to get back to work and to show that he was still the player he used to be. 

Reid played one final season for the Chicago Mission, and did not perform like his 14U self, only scoring 5 goals and adding 10 assists. This lackluster season made him drop out of the draft conversation and label him as a "UDFA" for the upcoming draft. Thinking that his career was over, Reid searched for other leagues to continue his professional career. He eventually found the VHL, and met with multiple GMs to get his career started. 

Reid was drafted with the 25th overall pick to the Las Vegas Aces, and found immediate success. Though he may need a full season or two to produce like he did during his 14U season, he has a lot to be proud of and he knows he can become the best defenseman in the VHL.

mission player.jpg

Edited by TopTiddee2

1 hour ago, TopTiddee2 said:

Many say that starting out homeless on the streets in Chicago is very dangerous. No body thinks that the person lying on the park bench will become anything in their life. However, Reid Johnson shut down the critics and became a potential NHL draft pick. 

Born on May 8th, 2003, in a King's Inn in South Dakota, Reid wound up homeless after leaving his abusive parents. Though he had never played competitive hockey before, he owned a pair of roller blades and used to skate around downtown Chicago. While skating through the west side during rush hour, Coach Fliberknackle, a young coach for the Chicago Mission 8U team, caught Reid rolling around, and thought he had an excellent stride. While walking down a park sidewalk after work, Fliberknackle found Reid sleeping on a park bench. He woke up and was startled to see someone talking to him. After reassuring that he wasn't going to rob him and wanted to talk about hockey, Coach took Reid to a Blackhawks game, giving Reid a sense of how hockey works. After the game, Coach asked if he needed a place to stay, and Reid couldn't refuse. After eventually spending a week at his residence, Reid asked why Coach let him stay. Coach stated:

"It's because I was in your position at one point in my life. It seemed as no one wanted anything to do with me, but I found a passion in hockey and made it to the big leagues. I want to give you the opportunity because you have been through so much in your life already."

After that, Reid went to a practice for the 12U team and had great footwork. Coach put him on the 4th line to start and give him a chance to get his feet wet. Obviously not playing hockey before, his stick work was lackluster. Due to the team falling behind in the national rankings, Coach moved Reid back to defense and continued to work with Reid on his shooting and his puck handling. His numbers shot up, as he potted 12 goals and 45 assists in 35 games. 

Making the 14U team the next year, Reid became a 1st line D and lit up the competition. College scouts from schools like the University of Minnesota and the University of Denver began to take notice. At the end of the season, Reid scored 18 goals and 51 assists in 40 games. Being named a top 5 pick in the 2021 NHL Draft is something Reid never saw coming. He won a national championship during that season, and earned team MVP awards. 

Going ahead to 2018, during a game against Compuware, Reid took a hit and twisted his knee, and fell to the ice quick. Being rushed to the hospital following the hit, it was confirmed that Reid had torn his ACL and MCL, requiring surgery. He missed the season, witnessing the team go 25-10. Due to injury scares, most NHL teams had him dropped to the 6th round in their mock drafts. He attempted to get back to work and to show that he was still the player he used to be. 

Reid played one final season for the Chicago Mission, and did not perform like his 14U self, only scoring 5 goals and adding 10 assists. This lackluster season made him drop out of the draft conversation and label him as a "UDFA" for the upcoming draft. Thinking that his career was over, Reid searched for other leagues to continue his professional career. He eventually found the VHL, and met with multiple GMs to get his career started. 

Reid was drafted with the 25th overall pick to the Las Vegas Aces, and found immediate success. Though he may need a full season or two to produce like he did during his 14U season, he has a lot to be proud of and he knows he can become the best defenseman in the VHL.

mission player.jpg

Nice write up! Keep up the good work. 

• 2 weeks later...