SPOILERS: Stranger Things

thadthrasher

This is your warning now that the following post and any and all comments may contain spoilers for Stranger Things. Either the entire show or the current season.

Spoiler

Howdy! Last night, @LuluSalesAway and I finished season 4 of Stranger Things! This was one of my favorite seasons, filled with not only some amazing twists but the addition of characters whom I quickly fell in love with (like Eddie). Larissa didn't share the same sentiment though. She's not much into the brutality that this season had, and thinks the writing wasn't very good.

So, I'm curious about your thoughts on not only Season 4, but the whole show.

Major spoilers ahead, so if you were stupid enough to click into this thread not expecting that, please click out of it now.

Things seemed to take a big turn feel-wise in Season 3. There's so much more brightness all-around and I really appreciated the character development from everyone. Season 4 seemed to take a step back in that regard...everyone is depressed again.

I actually did like Season 4, but in a very Star Wars fan-type of way where there are a lot of things I don't like about it despite liking it as a whole and really wanting Season 5 to come along sooner. A collection of general thoughts...

-Max should have just died. I don't need to see characters die to enjoy a show at all, but the way they chose to end the season with her was stupid. I think they're setting up some big spiritual moment where Eleven brings her back entirely (eventually) after everyone predictably wins next season, or she becomes some sort of key to winning by being like...half-dead and a bridge between two worlds or something? I mostly had an issue with the fact that they a) introduced a whole new power for Eleven out of nowhere that in a less flashy way arguably goes WAY beyond just moving stuff/astral projection, b) put a "well actually" on what would have been the most moving death scene of the season (yes, more so than Eddie IMO), and c) made it fairly clear that the main cast is fairly untouchable. Again, by no means do I NEED to see a main character die, but I also don't want to see the writers go to the most giant stretches of the imagination possible to make sure they don't.

-Another point re: Max, Sadie Sink is the best actor out of any of the kids and had an incredible season overall.

-I cringed HARD at pretty much any Mike/Eleven relationship stuff. Maybe that's the point because they're teenagers, but I didn't get any emotion that the writers may have been trying to get across.

-Will needs a new haircut and he also needs like 5 seconds of screen time where he's not sad. It was nice to see him evolve as a character this season (and parts of that felt super real given what he's going through), but this kid needs even ONE thing in the entire series that makes him happy.

-I'm tired of everything just ending with "Eleven just so happens to have the magical powers to solve the problem while everyone else just kind of runs around trying not to get killed". It's too powerful and I'd like to see the rest of the cast involved in doing whatever it ACTUALLY is that ends the season. I think this season did a good job in stepping away from that to a certain extent, but there was still enough of it that I'd count it as a negative and I'm actively hoping Season 5 ends a different way.

-Re: supporting characters...Eddie is AMAZING and my favorite so far. I have some questions as to the logic of the way he died (did it really save that much time?) but I'm not opposed to the fact that it happened because it was powerful nonetheless. The fact that so many people want him back just says that he was written well. 

-I actually liked Argyle, contrary to what seems to be popular opinion. Yes, he was a little over-the-top sometimes, but most of the time I found it funny. I'm a bit hesitant to think about him next season, though, because what's currently funny to me could get pushed over the line into annoying territory fairly easily if he never changes and remains full-on "whoa dude" when in danger.

-I also really appreciate how Jonathan was written (another unpopular opinion) because it really accurately portrayed what can happen to a good, smart, quiet kid who gets beat down by life. I know a Jonathan or two myself, so that was relatable.

-Potentially as a consequence, I am 100% NOT in favor of Steve and Nancy getting back together because I feel too much for Jonathan. I've always loved Steve and watching him flirt with someone in a relationship was a bit disappointing.

-Jamie Campbell Bower did a FANTASTIC job as 1/Henry/Vecna/whoever, particularly with his backstory in the lab. You can really feel how he goes from calm and quiet and maybe a little creepy to a monster in just a few minutes. I also like Papa as a character and think he's played well, but I'd agree with the writers that his time in the series is up and it's time to move on.

-I never did care for the whole Russian story arc, and parts of Hopper's escape were super unrealistic, but I don't really have a problem with it despite it not really overlapping with any of the rest of the series. They've always gone with multiple plot lines at once and I think that's part of what I like about the show.

I agree with Gus on a few points. Max indeed should have died. They were foreshadowing during the season that not everyone was going to make it out alive, and ultimately the only fatality was the newly introduced character, which felt a little cheap to me. Not mention Max already narrowly escaped death earlier in the season, so to have her do it again is overkill.

Also Eleven suddenly knowing Cleric spells was a little odd too with very little buildup/justification. At one point someone from the lab was like, “Yeah, you’re psychic you can pretty much do anything,” and that was it. Now Eleven can raise the dead. I’m half expecting Max to have some psychic gifts herself now, possibly with Professor X vibes. That would serve to help address Gus’ one issue about Eleven really being the only capable party member.

I’m pro Steve still, idk.

The Russia stuff is a bit bananas.

Overall I really enjoyed the season! I don’t really know where it ranks for me, though I’d say it was similar in quality to S3. I thought they did a pretty decent enough job of retroactively making One the villain the whole time, which is nice to see because lots of shows have real issues with retroactive plotting (I often find it to be very clunky and contrived). That said, I think/hope the series kind of needs to wrap up when they deal with him once and for all, which ideally would be one more season, two maximum.

19 hours ago, Gustav said:

-I actually liked Argyle, contrary to what seems to be popular opinion. Yes, he was a little over-the-top sometimes, but most of the time I found it funny. I'm a bit hesitant to think about him next season, though, because what's currently funny to me could get pushed over the line into annoying territory fairly easily if he never changes and remains full-on "whoa dude" when in danger.

I will fight anyone who doesn't like Argyle, the dude is a great comedic relief character that isn't super important to the plot until he is.

Definitely agree with both Jardy and Gus that Max should've died, not out of some perverse need for blood, but because damn that plot armour was thicc. If Elle brings her back, we may as well get some #JusticeForBarb and get a revival there, too because why the fuck not?

Personally, I don't really like Jonathan (and haven't ever, really), but I do hate the Steve/Nancy stuff going on. Jonathan could definitely communicate a lot better, but the whole will they, won't they, love triangle BS is unnecessary.

I know a lot of people didn't love the violence aspect, but I think it works well, and the show should naturally grow up with the kids - the first season was about 12 year olds, and was already pretty violent for a story with kids that young.

Overall, I really enjoyed the season, definitely in my top 4.

On 8/16/2022 at 5:13 PM, Gustav said:

-Re: supporting characters...Eddie is AMAZING and my favorite so far. I have some questions as to the logic of the way he died (did it really save that much time?) but I'm not opposed to the fact that it happened because it was powerful nonetheless. The fact that so many people want him back just says that he was written well. 

I pretty much agree with everything that you said in your response. I don't really deviate in opinion much on any of it. This, however, I have to double down on. I LOVED Eddie's character, and the way they handled his character development was phenomenal. He starts as this guy who, in my opinion, was going to develop into an antagonist. You see his faux tough guy act fade when Chrissy dies and he's caught in the middle of something he is clueless about. To watch him run the entire season, constantly avoiding danger, and even admitting that to Steve was great. And, although I hated seeing him die, his act of not running away was an amazing way to end his character, albeit stupid and avoidable. 

The scene that really got me though was Dustin talking to Eddie's uncle, Wayne. The dude never lost hope in Eddie, never faded in his support, and always knew that Eddie would never have killed someone, especially in as much of a vicious way as Chrissy died. But, that conversation where Dustin calls Eddie a hero and you see Wayne just break down... holy cow. I was fighting back those tears. 

20 hours ago, Quik said:

I know a lot of people didn't love the violence aspect, but I think it works well, and the show should naturally grow up with the kids

I think this is a great point, and it adds some validity to the added violence this season. To watch that violence escalate to Max's floating contortionist scene was perfect, in my opinion. And, as everyone has stated, that should have been the end of Max. 

Jamie Campbell Bower did a FANTASTIC job as 1/Henry/Vecna/whoever, particularly with his backstory in the lab. You can really feel how he goes from calm and quiet and maybe a little creepy to a monster in just a few minutes.

This was an amazing twist in the plot. It really blew me away. I also loved the cinematic working they did here. When he was just another worker in the lab he was creepy, sure, but was bright, colored nicely, and calm. Then, once the tracker was out and he started using his powers again you could see just how quickly darkness overcame him. I thought they did a great job with that transition. Also, it was nice to see that 11 wasn't just some unhinged child who brutally murdered kids who picked on her. That way they unveiled the truth behind this was really well done.

I never did care for the whole Russian story arc, and parts of Hopper's escape were super unrealistic, but I don't really have a problem with it despite it not really overlapping with any of the rest of the series.

On 8/16/2022 at 11:18 PM, JardyB10 said:

The Russia stuff is a bit bananas.

So, on the Russia storyline, I don't fully disagree. However, I will say that this show has done a great job with being relevant to the time that it takes place in. The fact that his takes place during the Cold War and touches on tensions between the US and the Soviet Union is good, but as Jardy said, "a bit bananas." Though, the concept of an "upside down" is bananas as well.

Also, these kids really need to stop playing DnD. It seems like every time they do a new scary monster emerges from the upside down. Will we eventually learn that Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson actually created the upside down for content ideas for DnD?!

4 hours ago, thadthrasher said:

Also, it was nice to see that 11 wasn't just some unhinged child who brutally murdered kids who picked on her

On that note, I'll say that skate face deserved what she got (granted, if that really happened, she probably also picks up brain damage, which...less ok with that)

This show is at its best with season 4. I for one am thrilled they are ending it with with one more season. End the show while it’s at its best rather than prolonging it and eventually ruining what it was. 

There has been a lot touched on here that I agree and disagree with but the one thing I absolutely loved about this season was the score. They absolutely nailed it from beginning to end with all their song choices and the placement of each song. I am so excited to see what they come up with for the final season.

2 hours ago, Ricer13 said:

This show is at its best with season 4. I for one am thrilled they are ending it with with one more season. End the show while it’s at its best rather than prolonging it and eventually ruining what it was. 

There has been a lot touched on here that I agree and disagree with but the one thing I absolutely loved about this season was the score. They absolutely nailed it from beginning to end with all their song choices and the placement of each song. I am so excited to see what they come up with for the final season.

If you listen closely during the Master of Puppets scene you can hear both diegetic (aka music that's part of the scene that the characters can hear, in this case Eddie's playing) and non-diegetic (the studio recording) music happening at the same time. Little imperfections are added in to Eddie's playing to make it more real (and if you pay attention to the dates, he only had a couple weeks to learn the song after it was released!)

34 minutes ago, Gustav said:

If you listen closely during the Master of Puppets scene you can hear both diegetic (aka music that's part of the scene that the characters can hear, in this case Eddie's playing) and non-diegetic (the studio recording) music happening at the same time. Little imperfections are added in to Eddie's playing to make it more real (and if you pay attention to the dates, he only had a couple weeks to learn the song after it was released!)

Incredible! I didn’t even clue into to the dates. The little details are another reason why this show is so great.

I look at Stranger Things like I do the Harry Potter movies in a way. Stranger Things always had it's dark moments, since Season 1, but has gotten darker as it's gone on. Stranger Things and Harry Potter started off a little innocent since the kids were so young, but as the kids got older the seasons/movies got darker and more mature. I loved that in Harry Potter, and I love that in Stranger Things.

Season 4 was great in my opinion. Only thing I didn't like was the Steve/Dustin duo was not really a thing like season 3, and I hope they can get back to that for season 5. If Steve makes it through, that's all I really care about. The man deserves happiness.

We all got the vibe Will was gay since the earlier seasons I would say, and season 4 did all but officially confirm it. It is hard to come out in general, but especially in this time period. I love Will and Jonathan's bond.

Other than Steve, Hopper is without a doubt my favorite. Such a resilient badass, it killed me seeing him under such torture for a majority of the season. His reunion was touching.

I didn't like how they took the best scene of the season of Max escaping Vecna to Kate Bush, and made it mean nothing. She ended up getting crushed in the end anyway. She should have been deemed safe for at least the rest of the season, and someone else should have been collateral IMO. As said above, Sadie Sink killed it. I do think Max's survival is critical because obviously if she awakens, that probably weakens Vecna in some way since his fourth kill is not actually a kill.

Vecna is an outstanding character, and the twist of him pulling the strings for everything going on was awesome.

El laying that girl out with the skate was amazing, regardless of what the girl has to live with for the rest of her life.

El being able to resuscitate Max I thought wasn't too far fetched. It's like when you bring someone back with CPR. El has a leg up on the rest of us folk, and can dig deeper to do so telepathically. Max had just flatlined, and El acted pretty quickly. The scene just made it seem longer to drag out the drama.

Nancy Wheeler is a freaking badass, the way she whips out that shotgun is awesome. Without a doubt the most badass in the group, and that feat is underrated.

33 minutes ago, Arce said:

I do think Max's survival is critical because obviously if she awakens, that probably weakens Vecna in some way since his fourth kill is not actually a kill.

I don’t really think so imo. He needed the kills to open the gates, and once all four gates were opened, it would tear the giant rift in the town, which happened after she died for a bit. 

However, I do think getting shotgunned out the window weakened him for a while, so that’ll act as justification as to why he perhaps won’t be able to IMMEDIATELY end the world now that the rift is open, and that will give the heroes a minute to plan a defence and make a season out of it.

On 8/19/2022 at 12:02 PM, Arce said:

I look at Stranger Things like I do the Harry Potter movies in a way. Stranger Things always had it's dark moments, since Season 1, but has gotten darker as it's gone on. Stranger Things and Harry Potter started off a little innocent since the kids were so young, but as the kids got older the seasons/movies got darker and more mature. I loved that in Harry Potter, and I love that in Stranger Things.

Season 4 was great in my opinion. Only thing I didn't like was the Steve/Dustin duo was not really a thing like season 3, and I hope they can get back to that for season 5. If Steve makes it through, that's all I really care about. The man deserves happiness.

We all got the vibe Will was gay since the earlier seasons I would say, and season 4 did all but officially confirm it. It is hard to come out in general, but especially in this time period. I love Will and Jonathan's bond.

Other than Steve, Hopper is without a doubt my favorite. Such a resilient badass, it killed me seeing him under such torture for a majority of the season. His reunion was touching.

I didn't like how they took the best scene of the season of Max escaping Vecna to Kate Bush, and made it mean nothing. She ended up getting crushed in the end anyway. She should have been deemed safe for at least the rest of the season, and someone else should have been collateral IMO. As said above, Sadie Sink killed it. I do think Max's survival is critical because obviously if she awakens, that probably weakens Vecna in some way since his fourth kill is not actually a kill.

Vecna is an outstanding character, and the twist of him pulling the strings for everything going on was awesome.

El laying that girl out with the skate was amazing, regardless of what the girl has to live with for the rest of her life.

El being able to resuscitate Max I thought wasn't too far fetched. It's like when you bring someone back with CPR. El has a leg up on the rest of us folk, and can dig deeper to do so telepathically. Max had just flatlined, and El acted pretty quickly. The scene just made it seem longer to drag out the drama.

Nancy Wheeler is a freaking badass, the way she whips out that shotgun is awesome. Without a doubt the most badass in the group, and that feat is underrated.

Steve jumped from near the bottom of my fave list right to the top after this season! This was really a good season for his character. 

27 minutes ago, a_Ferk said:

I don't understand why this show is so popular, but I have seen stranger things

I remember when it came out I was starting my senior year at college. A lot of people around me really liked the show, but I had no interest. Then, maybe two years later I stumbled upon it on Netflix and thought I'd give it a try.