ignored topic

lil OG z

I've only ever wanted one job and ever since getting a M job and stepping down from fantasy nobody has hired me, I've applied for everything that has to do with prospects but nah, I don't get it when other people can have multiple jobs because they are friends with someone, even the little things like fantasy. It makes no sense, I'm super fair but never get it shown back, instead friends hire friends? Everybody seems to say I'm killing it?? It's been years I'm so confued xD Wish some of my old friends would show some love back, I ain't the one who started shit.. It just looks/feels like a big popularity contest now, I'd rather be the most hated tbh 

Which job? If you're referring to VHL GM (everything that has to do with prospects is sort of limited to the three leagues GM's and VSN scouting), it's a pretty competitive position and good candidates get rejected for quite a while. But yeah mainly just curious which job you're referring to if it's not VHL GM.

There is maybe 40 truly active members in VHL: 75% of them are moderators, VHL GM's, and league leadership.  You need to stop being nice n shit. Stop welcoming people, stop giving advice, stop helping the league. If you want to be a VHL GM or hold some other job, you need to start pretending you care about the league while simultaneously doing as little as possible. Right now, you are actually caring and it shows. You do too much. Look at the moderators for example, what are they doing? I mean really, what are they doing? Answer is nothing if you wonder if it's worth the 6 TPE they claim for job. Still they walk around like they own the place. You need to have the same energy and confidence.

This is becoming a hate on people thread because they have jobs, I agree some people have too many job, or some with none who try to get some…. But I don’t see active people Spartan has a lot of jobs and chats in the discord everyday and helps where ever he can, we just had a wave of Updaters hired not many of them were VHL GM. You just got to keep putting your self out there

this seems like an overly aggressive post. I get it though I really cared about the VHLM and really wanted a GM job. I worked hard as AGM and tried to have the unique project with VHLM Illustrated. I care a lot about the people that have gone through Miami, but I am kind of growing tired of putting in all the work and not really getting a lot of gratitude. Ledge thanked me for everything I did, but only one player ever thanked me. I tried to get new members involved in the league more with VHLM Illustrated, but not many people read or commented on it. I am not sure what my future in the league will hold, but I will see what I do. I am pretty sure I want to do VHLM Illustrated and I have worked fairly hard during my little off time to get the project in a decent shape again. It hurts to spend the hour of free time you have on a project and not have any appreciation for the things you. It does feel like a boys club in the league.

I can say is that I like Dom. Dom was a good GM, sad to see him go. 

Also, I really like the fact that these sort of situations come up almost in a regular fashion - people get jobs in this league not because of favouritism, they get it, because, well, many have waited for quite a while and for stuff like Recruitment, Commissioners and things like that, I guess it is up to the people already in that group to see who they will work together with the best. 

I have been a bit of a critic for this in the past too but I do see a huge progress to a point where I do not see any issues with the hiring process right now. 

I agree with some of the stuff in this thread. I do agree that it's a bit of a shit system. 

In my case, I was AGM of Riga for 3 full seasons, and during that time I was super active in my locker room and the VHL chats and doing VSN and everything, and I must have been rejected from VHLM GM positions in the double digits. It was infuriating too, because I was more active than some of the GMs at that time. When I finally got Miami, I was having tons of fun and being pretty active for I think a solid 2 seasons before life got the best of me and nurx practically took over the discord, we sold everything, and the downward spiral started. I felt guilty about my time allocation, so I let someone else handle it. 

What I learned from my tenure is that, in partial agreement with Zack, nobody high up really gives a shit about what you've done for the community. Since my activity fell off, and even before then a little bit, I've never had any super close 'friends' in the VHL other than nurx recently, and it does feel at times like you don't get recognized for the work you put in behind the scenes. If you somehow earn the attention and affection of some of the higher-ups, you start getting jobs. Ergo, if you make it, you make it, but until then nobody gives a shit except for the people you've been close to.

Some exceptions that I find are Spart, who does an exceptional work at all his jobs and earned them all, Dil (somehow) who is a mod but is actually active and engages with the community, Kaleeb because he's a stud GM and a fantastic guy. Those are just a few, there are more, and if you're one of them, I appreciate the work you've done for the VHL. But I'm with the general gist of this thread that the league can miss me with the popularity contest bullshit

35 minutes ago, lil z said:

@Spartan - Recruitment, WJC, Junior Showcase, Player Store, Updater, VHL GM, assistant GM, VHLE GM, assistant GM.. The list goes on, I got bodies xD

I'm pretty surprised you've listed AGM and JST on there, since they're both definitely downgrades from the work you do as an M GM, and even overlap with the job duties there. The people hired for JST are also completely new to GM roles in general, as are the WJC GM's typically with maybe one exception (see Nyko this season).

The hirings for player store and updaters were all people without a job, so by your own logic of having an M GM job, that should be a good thing. VHLE will likely have openings this offseason since there are VHL spots to fill, so you've got chances in both those leagues.

So yeah in general it doesn't quite seem like there's favoritism going on in hirings for the most part. If you feel strongly about being passed over, I'd generally advise asking for feedback if/when you don't get hired for a role. Will give you proper insight instead of having to speculate that nepotism may be at hand, and goes further to show commitment to the role at hand.

Feel free to take this with a grain of salt, because I'm assuming I'm one of these "well-connected members" who supposedly get hired for everything. Honestly, beyond VHL GM/BoG, my resume doesn't look like much more than yours. I've applied to a lot of jobs that I didn't get--including fantasy, which you did get, and I've also been applying for every updater opening I've seen since before you were in the league and only just recently became one (it's also likely that that wouldn't have happened either if I were still GM or something else). I've been rejected for WJC GM, World Cup GM, World Cup/WJC Commish, VHL GM, Player Store Updater, recruitment, fantasy at least twice and at more than one level, and Updater probably 5 times at least. If there's some grand conspiracy to hire me for everything I apply for, I think I've missed it. And I've never once thought that I was passed over because of some personal vendetta I don't know about.

I like to think I've earned the roles I've gotten by consistently putting myself out there in the community and showing that I'm capable of doing work that contributes to the enjoyment of other members. I'm sure you'd say the same about the jobs you've had as well. Maybe you can blame it on being "well-connected", but I'd encourage you to think about what that means and why people who are seen by the rest of the community as solid members are in that boat. I actually do think it's fair to some extent to label certain hirings as popularity contests, but to some extent that actually makes sense. Think about the amount of trust that comes with your VHLM GM role--you have to be really good at making a positive first impression on new members, really active and able to provide help whenever it's needed, and a solid representative of the league who can be counted on to make new players also solid representatives of the league. By being hired, you've earned the trust of the "higher-ups" already because they think you can do all of those things. Otherwise, you wouldn't have been hired! So I think it's a bit short-sighted to blame your situation on others and make the claim that the league hates you. They (we?) don't. At peak activity, you're just as good as any other member IMO.

To address something else: if your goal is to get hired for things, then why make a thread accusing the people in charge of hiring you for things of hating you and then respond to someone with a personal shot? I can't imagine that it's going to do you any favors in the near future (though we should absolutely be able to forget this ever happened). There are certainly much more constructive ways to get your thoughts out there. Try doing what Spartan suggested and reach out to someone to ask what you could have done to get whatever job. Sometimes all it comes down to is a gut feeling, sometimes there's a hotshot rookie who hasn't had an opportunity yet, and sometimes there's an old vet with ten times the track record of you or me who's sitting there without a job. Ironically, the principle of spreading jobs around that you say you want might be holding you back--who's going to get hired into Fantasy Zone (for example), Active Member A who's running a team, or Active Member B who isn't? I've never had to make hires, but it's quite possible that someone's looked at you in a thread and said "well, they're already a GM, so let's hire someone without a job". I haven't kept track of the hirings you're talking about, but I wonder how many have gone to members without jobs--in those cases, the lack of a job is usually seen as a plus.

Feel free to reach out if you sincerely believe that active members of the community hold a grudge against you. I can assure you that I do not. In the meantime, keep putting yourself out there and good things will come eventually 😄

• Commissioner

I won't say I've specifically ignore you for any role because of this but I will just throw it out there: changing your username every 2 months doesn't help your case. I know that might sound a bit petty but to be entirely honest we have a lot of members to keep track of so keeping a running tally of who's who and their resume when they keep changing their username adds an additional layer of complication that doesn't need to be present. Quite literally I was receiving lines from you for over half the season before I realized it was still you in charge of Ottawa and the team hadn't been given to a new member.

As a general rule though we hire based on who we trust will be able to do the job effectively and hopefully long term. Yes, part of that is having a rapport with people and that definitely helps but we wouldn't refuse someone a job on the basis of "we don't like this person" exclusively; there would be a reason. Maybe their activity level isn't where it needs to be for a given role, maybe we don't think they have enough league experience, maybe we don't think they would mesh well with the people they need to mesh with for that job. There's a lot of factors at play but "do I like this person" isn't really one of them.

6 hours ago, Spartan said:

I'd generally advise asking for feedback if/when you don't get hired for a role. Will give you proper insight instead of having to speculate that nepotism may be at hand, and goes further to show commitment to the role at hand.

Yeah we got this in response to an explanation :P 

image.png.c7a292e263654e73adb2b9bfd64990d1.png

3 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

tbf I did tell eno that if there's a bunch of new people wanting the job then to give it to them

Yeah I was just acknowledging that sometimes a veteran can get hired, as Bana and Jubo(?) are other examples to come to mind. Plus I saw that there was a shortage of candidates this season.

But otherwise if the veteran precedent didn't exist and there were first-gen candidates, I think you getting hired by Eno would perfectly fit under "friends hiring friends" or at least "Eno carries Nyko in yet another 'League game'" :P