S85 VHLM Mock Draft

nurx

VHLM Mock Draft

As we near the VHLM draft it is time we begin to wonder where everyone will go in the draft. Every team has needs that can be filled by this draft. Let's begin tlooking at the VHLM S85 draft!

Round 1 Pick 1 (Miami)

Sunglasses Joyo C @JetsGoalie101

Miami is in need of every single position. They only have one returning player and it is a defenseman. While a goalie is the most important position to have in the league, with the goalie depth we see in this draft it is likely we will see a few remaining after the 1st round. 

Round 1 Pick 2 (Philadelphia Via. San Diego)

Daryl Dixon RW @Ricer13

Philly has a returning goalie which likely means they won't be filling that position. They are in need of defensemen, but it is hard to pass up this strong of a forward when you have the opportunity to draft them. Ricer is a proven locker room presence and could help Philly make a playoff run this season.

Round 1 Pick 3 (Saskatoon)

Alexander Minion G @Minion

Saskatoon has a few returning defenseman and likely will not have the opportunity to draft another goalie. Waiver forwards have proven themselves to be reliable in scoring, but a goalie needs time to develop. I don't believe that it would be a wise decision for Saskatoon not to draft one of the top 5 goalies in this position.

Round 1 Pick 4 (Ottawa)

Yaroslav Bogatyrev RW @Bojovnik

Ottawa has no returning players unfortunately. Drafting again just 3 picks away there will be more goalies left on the board. However, one of the strongest forwards will not still be on that board. I believe that it makes sense for Ottawa to draft a forward in this position and Bogatyrev just makes sense.

Round 1 Pick 5 (Halifax)

Jeremy Swayman G @Agito

Again goaltenders are the most important position on thie ice. The list of strong goaltenders will rapidly disappear after the first 2 rounds. It is not worth the risk losing the goaltenders to pick a forward here.

Round 1 Pick 6 (San Diego via Philadelphia)

Reno Reinhold D @Reno

I believe that San Diego is using this season to build for the future. This is not San Diego's competing season. With that I think they can find a solid goaltender that will win them their cup next season either in the 3rd-4th round of this draft or first round next season. Therefore picking up a defenseman here gives them a player that will perform well, be a good locker room presence, and give them option at the deadline.

Round 1 Pick 7 (Ottawa Via Houston)

Bill Nye the Puck Stopping Guy G @Big Newff

Since they passed over a goaltender earlier in the draft they need one now. Now this could be any of the remaining goalies on the board, and this player fits the bill. A fantastic first gen player that could find a great home in Ottawa.

Round 1 Pick 8 (Houston Via Mississauga)

Fuukka Task G @Jubis

Since the Houston alum was just drafted, Houston is forced to pick another tender. Again with the goaltenders pretty much any of them could go anywhere. However, with this pick Houston will pick a goalie.

Round 1 Pick 9 (Mexico City)

Joel Castle G @animal74

With the final of the "Main 5 goalies" of this draft, Mexico City is picking their goalie that will win them the cup this season. There are more goalies in this draft, but this will be the best goalie for them to move onto the finals.

Round 1 Pick 10 (Philadelphia Via Las Vegas)

Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Jr. D @AdamEss

Earlier in the draft, Philly selected their goalie for the season. Here they choose to select a defenseman to fill in their new biggest hole. There was a few options here, but this player likely fills in the position best.

Round 2 Pick 1 (Miami)

Rick Grimes C @tinafrombobsburgers

Once again Miami is picking a forward as they continue to build their scoring depth. While they struggle with all positions the best goalies have dropped off the board, and they still need to fill in their scoring so they select a strong forward.

Round 2 Pick 2 (San Diego)

Vinny Lacavalier C @Spartakiller2

With no returning players, San Diego has to fill every position. While waiver forwards can be very strong, the best forwards are those you pick up in the draft. They likely will have the opportunity to pick up a strong goalie later in the draft, and it makes sense to continue to fill their scoring void as the best goal scorers remain.

Round 2 Pick 3 (Las Vegas Via Saskatoon)

Scottie House D @Carpenter74

In the position Las Vegas is in, there are many questions about how they will approach this season. One question that isn't there however, is if they would prefer a first gen over a recreate. I do believe though that Las Vegas will use their first pick for this draft to select a defenseman.

Round 2 Pick 4 (Ottawa)

The Mediocre One C @RElblein

The Mediocre One is not a mediocre player. A well rounded player who could very easily jump up to the first round. Fits in well in Ottawa where they will lack offense without new forwards.

Round 2 Pick 5 (Halifax)

Grigoris Polyhronidis D @GP18

After picking a goalie in the first round it leaves them with one more position without a player at, and that position is defenseman. Grigoris is the best defenseman on the board at this point in the draft, and makes perfect sense to fit in in Halifax.

Round 2 Pick 6 (Las Vegas Via. Philadelphia)

Ash Sparks G @DarkSpyro

Las Vegas is in need of a goalie. This player had shown themselves to be very competent in net and will fill the position nicely in Vegas.

Round 2 Pick 7 (Miami Via. Houston)

Lachlan Summers G @kirbithan

Miami finally picks up their goalie. Lachlan is a great pick here and truly one of the more underrated goalies in this draft. Lachlan has the opportunity to lead a strong Miami team fairly far through the playoffs.

Round 2 Pick 8 (Ottawa Via Mississauga)

Kevin Kirkpatrick RW @Jayrad28

Ottawa continues to build that forward core with another forward picked. This time Kirkpatrick is a more than point per game Right Winger. With such impressive stats it's hard to believe that they dropped this far. However, with this many forwards; it will be hard to point at who will be the highest scoring forward on Ottawa this season.

Round 2 Pick 9 (Mexico City)

Joel Rogers D @Jrocket09

A team that will likely have it's weakest part being it's defense, it makes sense for Mexico City to pick up as many defensemen in this draft as possible. It is likely this player could play a major part in a possible championship run in Mexico.

Round 2 Pick 10 (Las Vegas)

Johnny Kalamazoo LW @KzooJohn

Rounding out the 2nd round we have a left wing named after that city in Michigan you forgot existed. You won't forget Johnny Kalamazoo existed anytime soon, however, they have the ability to be one of if not the biggest draft steals in this seasons draft.

Note this article was written before I was told I was going to be a GM...

36 minutes ago, nurx said:

Round 2 Pick 6 (Las Vegas Via. Philadelphia)

Ash Sparks G @DarkSpyro

Las Vegas is in need of a goalie. This player had shown themselves to be very competent in net and will fill the position nicely in Vegas.

Let’s see it, cuz that will be the draft steal of the 80s 💯😂

17 minutes ago, AdamEss said:

Im confused as to when Philly selected their goalie here. In my writeup it says they already did. But they do it later. 🤪

This reminds me of every mock draft article I've ever written.  

Honestly I think he meant to say that they have already drafted a goaltender in the past, Evan Bihler should be ready to go for them next season I assume

17 minutes ago, AdamEss said:

Im confused as to when Philly selected their goalie here. In my writeup it says they already did. But they do it later. 🤪

This reminds me of every mock draft article I've ever written.  

I meant Bihler should be Phillies main goalie all season.

Rick Grimes @tinafrombobsburgers  and Daryl Dixon @Ricer13 only come as a package from what I heard in the CGY locker room. Of course I do not know how much GM's give about this in the draft, I would not draft one without the other (unless I want to be benched in CGY ;), and of course out of respect that Ricer drafted me together with my brother into the CGY organisation, despite higher earners having been available at the time)...

Edited by Daniel Janser