Hottest Hot Take I got

nurx

Alright so I am going to say this and you are going to have to immediately not reject the idea. Listen to my half thought-out reasoning. Remove forced retirement...

Alright so I personally think it is fun watching the old guys who you forgot still played hockey play in the NHL. I think it could be fun if say Poopy Peepants played 11 seasons and was just no good that last season. 

If someone is able to plan their player to both be good and be able to play successfully into their 11th or even 12th season without being bad they should be able to do so.

It is possible that a player who would like to play a final season doesn't get offers, however, we have lower league where they could play their final season like a lot of old NHL veterans will do. I'm sure there aren't any VHLE GMs who would hate the idea of getting an old veteran who might help draw interest in the new members of their team.

The all time records already are compromised. We have increased career lengths already and changed how we put in our attributes. The records we have seen in past seasons will likely never be reaches, so why not allow this new system to see players who might be able to play another season.

Hit the old guys with depreciation really hard. For example, hit the 10 season players could get hit with a hard 17% or something similar that would really incentivize players to retire.

This would also give members even more freedom. Imagine if players in their 5-7 seasons would want to be paid more so they could afford to fight depreciation to maybe get another season. It is fairly rare for players to get paid more than the minimum, and incentivizing players to get depreciation fighters may just give power to the players to want more salary. 

I love this idea as I'm planning for my final build. Depreciation doesn't really seem to knock people back, just dictates where they have to stop building. Maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I want to watch my player be great, and then suck a little before calling it quits. I'm sure the answer you'll get is: "too hard to implement" and to that I say: "yeah true fair enough".

I'm sure there are depreciation changes coming down the pipeline but this kind of ties into an article @MubbleFubbles wrote (or maybe it was a podcast idk) talking about how uncapped TPE package is not only more fun but pretty much just as effective as depreciation fighters to an extent, and so a change like this might have me ignoring banking in general and just grinding out to my peak always and just letting that peak fall lower and lower as time goes on. Would help circumvent the whole timing aspect of the VHL too, where players can choose to grind for another season to solidify a HOF ballot or franchise records or something. Can't always do that if your team sucks or is mismanaged.

12 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

I love this idea as I'm planning for my final build. Depreciation doesn't really seem to knock people back, just dictates where they have to stop building. Maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I want to watch my player be great, and then suck a little before calling it quits. I'm sure the answer you'll get is: "too hard to implement" and to that I say: "yeah true fair enough".

I'm sure there are depreciation changes coming down the pipeline but this kind of ties into an article @MubbleFubbles wrote (or maybe it was a podcast idk) talking about how uncapped TPE package is not only more fun but pretty much just as effective as depreciation fighters to an extent, and so a change like this might have me ignoring banking in general and just grinding out to my peak always and just letting that peak fall lower and lower as time goes on. Would help circumvent the whole timing aspect of the VHL too, where players can choose to grind for another season to solidify a HOF ballot or franchise records or something. Can't always do that if your team sucks or is mismanaged.

plus we could have 3 different types of contracts (rookie, prime, and veteran) and the older you get you don't have to get paid as much.

15 minutes ago, nurx said:

plus we could have 3 different types of contracts (rookie, prime, and veteran) and the older you get you don't have to get paid as much.

Veteran contracts is a really cool idea actually. Even with the current system if players in their last 2-3 season were eligible for a veterans contract rather than prime that would be of great value to a team and increase the value of those players. Doesn’t even have to be a huge amount it could be 500k-1mill less than prime. 

Edited by Ricer13

not hating the idea as such, but want to point out that it will be difficult for newbies to get into the Best people here but socially distanced VHL then. Let's be honest if someone is auto-12 capped and throws in the occasional donation, they will always outgrind rookies and even in their last year be more useful (from a TPE viewpoint) than rookies. Just my two cents (and of course no offense meant to any veteran players at all).

1 minute ago, Daniel Janser said:

not hating the idea as such, but want to point out that it will be difficult for newbies to get into the Best people here but socially distanced VHL then. Let's be honest if someone is auto-12 capped and throws in the occasional donation, they will always outgrind rookies and even in their last year be more useful (from a TPE viewpoint) than rookies. Just my two cents (and of course no offense meant to any veteran players at all).

that's why you depreciation bomb them though! assuming proper depreciation and all that teams will have to choose between a veteran who is a little bit more effective than a rookie or a rookie who is WAAAAAY cheaper than a veteran

2 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

Higher levels of depreciation and a rule disallowing players from banking TPE through depreciation can take care of the players dominating for too long issue.

Edited by scoop

I like the idea conceptually. I think there are some things to be said against it from a purely philosophical/sentimental standpoint, but that's because I'm a fairly philosophical/sentimental person. First off, in other leagues that have this system, some player careers can be much longer real-life time-wise--I know of people in the EFL and PBE who said they had their players for over 2 years, and I'd imagine that can wear down on some people (myself included) because it's a really big commitment to pour your activity into one player for that long to have what's generally a "successful" career. 

Also, it would disrupt the way things have been done here for a very long time, and a lot of the significance of past players could get buried if what a career looks like suddenly became radically different. Bringing in 9-season careers already did this and that's something I hate about it--so doing something that's much greater to that extent would give me similar feelings.

That said, functionally and objectively there's nothing wrong with it. It's a system that's used successfully in other leagues. I just don't like it for OId Boys Club reasons.

50 minutes ago, samx said:

I feel like this is not your hottest take tbh

I was expecting less people to agree tbh. I don't really know what my hottest VHL take is though.