S84 Hall of Fame Induction

Victor

• Admin

As the summer draws to a close, it's time to shine the light on 3 fine Hall of Fame inductees.

D - Battre Sandstrom, S76-S83 :prg: :rig:

RS: 576 GP, 161 G, 508 A, 669 P, +144, 924 PIM, 1,428 HIT, 1,220 SB, 34 GW

PO: 71 GP, 16 G, 42 A, 58 P, -4, 150 PIM, 188 HIT, 190 SB, 2 GW

S82 Alexander Beketov Trophy (Most Assists)

S82 Alexander Valiq Trophy (Top Offensive Defenceman)

S83 Sterling Labatte Trophy (Top Defenceman)

2x All-VHL First Team (S82, S83)

1x All-VHL Second Team (S81)

The 2nd overall pick of S76 has secured his place as his draft's finest with a well deserved first ballot induction. Sandstrom may have never made the finals, but he was in the playoffs every season of his career, dragging Prague and then Riga to contention as he aged like a fine wine. A slower start as he struggled to break the point-per-game mark for a few seasons could have derailed Sandstrom's career like many promising defencemen before, but he hit another gear halfway through his VHL career and finished his career with 3 straight 100-point seasons and a slew of trophies to secure his place in the Hall. @Acydburn

D - Roque Davis, S71-S78 :dav::mos::la:

RS: 576 GP, 144 G, 428 A, 572 P, +100, 808 PIM, 1,185 HIT, 1,133 SB, 20 GW

PO: 52 GP, 16 G, 48 A, 64 P, +18, 173 PIM, 108 HIT, 114 SB, 3 GW

S71 Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy (Top Rookie)

S71 Alexander Valiq Trophy (Top Offensive Defenceman)

S76 Sterling Labatte Trophy (Top Defenceman)

S76 Alexander Valiq Trophy (Top Offensive Defenceman)

S76 Alexander Beketov Trophy (Most Assists)

2x All-VHL First Team (S71, S76)

Another former 2nd overall pick was on the way out just as Sandstrom entered the league, Davis had to wait longer to join the Hall of Fame, perhaps because his best achievements came before his last few seasons. His offensive stats might pale at face value, but Davis played in a much more defensive era and was probably a more clearly offensive-minded player. His rookie season included a Valiq and very much channelled the spirit of the great Alexander Valiq, as he quarterbacked a fairly lacklustre Davos team. Crowning glory would follow after a move to Moscow to solidify his place amongst the elite defencemen of the era and although he never made the finals either, it was not for a want of trying. @Josh

VOTING RESULTS

Battre Sandstrom - 12/13

Roque Davis - 12/13

---

Jakab Holik - 1/13

Erik Killinger - 1/13

John Merrick, Matty Socks, Lee Xin, Kristof Welch, Robin Galante Nilsson - 0/13

Builder Induction

After a season hiatus we also have Builder induction in S84. Some VHL members shine brightly for a brief moment and disappear without a trace, others slowly move through the positions taking in all the league has to offer. But several Builder inductions are very much lifetime achievement awards, recognising the sheer consistency of some members who have carved out a niche over many years of the VHL - and their success is in being an example of the many ways to approach the league. @solas perfectly fits that bill, coming into the VHL back in S20 with his first gen Turd Ferguson, and working his way through the decades with countless players, including the Hall of Famers Theo Axelsson, Lukas Muller, and most recently Jean Pierre Camus. Solas has never held a significant leadership position in the league and yet any of his teammates will confirm he has been an integral part of many a successful locker room, while contributing to a number of key league initiatives, including the long-running VHL Magazine and indeed some Hall of Fame articles. He may operate in the shadows often but today gets the recognition his tenure absolutely deserves!

Congratulations Josh, Acyd, and Solas! :cheers:

16 hours ago, solas said:

Holy shit I honestly never thought I'd be inducted as a builder, what the hell. Crazy honor. I guess they'll induct anyone who sticks around here long enough :P

Thanks to everyone who voted for me and also congrats to @Acydburn and @Josh!

Congrats to all 3! Since I wrote the Camus HOF article I'm also picking up your builder article (assuming Victor okays it). So I'll probably have to pick your brain a bit about that at some point soon™

• Victor unfeatured this topic