VSN Presents: S84 VHLE Awards

leandrofg

c0SmpFn.png

Hello, VHL!

Tonight we'll have the presentation of the VHLE Awards... well, tonight in North America. In Europe, it'll be 00:00 in Reykjavik, 01:00h in London, 02:00h in Madrid, and 03:00 in Athens.

So, now that you know a bit more about time zones, I'll add that I could add another one, but it would be a "smaller" region in Russia.

Last season sure was a great one.

Bratislava tried to repeat after winning the Renaissance Cup in Season 83.

Vasteras fought to get to the finals again and prove their Season 83 effort wasn't a fluke.

In the end, only one team could win. One that managed to create a great roster in Season 83, and managed to improve further into Season 84.

Tune in later!

➡️ Don't miss it! ⬅️

8 PM EDT

Edited by leandrofg
nurx is mean;

The nominees for the voted-on awards are,

For Regular Season MVP,

@lil z, Tyler Busser, from Istanbul, with 45 Goals, 55 Assists, 116 Hits, and 35 Shots Blocked;

@hedgehog337, AK92 Wit da Hoodie, from Istanbul, with 26 Goals, 61 Assists, 159 Hits, and 164 Shots Blocked; 

@Laflamme, Christopher Young, from Vasteras, with 44 Goals, 44 Assists, 86 Hits, and 39 Shots Blocked;

@chikn, Sock Monkey, from Bratislava, with 44 Goals, 44 Assists, 105 Hits, and 9 Shots Blocked.

For Top Defenseman,

@hedgehog337, AK92 Wit da Hoodie, from Istanbul, with 26 Goals, 61 Assists, 159 Hits, and 164 Shots Blocked;

@jasplunds, Harry Hagel, from Bratislava, with 18 Goals, 63 Assists, 125 Hits, and 193 Shots Blocked;

@Strider, Jeff Buffy, from Geneva, with 15 Goals, 35 Assists, 328 Hits, and 181 Shots Blocked.

For Top Goaltender,

@DMaximus , Clueless Wallob, from Geneva, with a 26-28-7 record, .935 Save Percentage, 2.70 Goals Against Average, 3 Shutouts, on 2547 Shots in 61 Games;

@Donno100, Orion D H Chiester IX, from Bratislava, with a 40-16-8 record, .931 Save Percentage, 2.35 Goals Against Average, 6 Shutouts, on 2224 Shots in 61 Games;

@Acydburn, Matt Murdock, from Istanbul, with a 34-14-1 record, .927 Save Percentage, 2.39 Goals Against Average, 3 Shutouts, on 1640 Shots in 61 Games.

For Top Two-Way Forward,

@Ledge, Cobalt Burns, from Istanbul, with 32 Goals, 42 Assists, 266 Hits, and 31 Shots Blocked;

@Shawner40, Anton Bielas, from Oslo, with 14 Goals, 36 Assists, 213 Hits, and 22 Shots Blocked;

@Alesime, Alessio Simeoni, from Cologne, with 31 Goals, 30 Assists, 208 Hits, and 24 Shots Blocked.

For Playoff MVP,

@lil z, Tyler Busser, from Istanbul, with 6 Goals, 15 Assists, 22 Hits, and 4 Shots Blocked;

@Laflamme, Christopher Young, from Vasteras, with 8 Goals, 8 Assists, 14 Hits, and 4 Shots Blocked;

@Acydburn, Matt Murdock, from Istanbul, with an 8-4-0 record, .927 Save Percentage, 2.7 Goals Against Average, 1 Shutout, on 452 Shots in 12 Games.

For Top Executive,

@KaleebtheMighty, from GM of the Istanbul Iron Eagles;

@Arce, GM of the Vasteras Iron Eagles;

@FrostBeard , GM of the Bratislava Watchmen.

--

Who are your picks for these awards!?

Woof. We're 56 minutes from the start of the winner announcements, but so far we have only gotten word from one of the nominees. His words? "Istanbul."

As I stand here, sitting down actually, past midnight, with a pint of Ben & Jerry's in hand, I start to wonder if this was a good decision.

4 minutes ago, leandrofg said:

Woof. We're 56 minutes from the start of the winner announcements, but so far we have only gotten word from one of the nominees. His words? "Istanbul."

As I stand here, sitting down actually, past midnight, with a pint of Ben & Jerry's in hand, I start to wonder if this was a good decision.

what flavor?

Just now, leandrofg said:

Chocolate Fudge Brownie is the choice for tonight! Mainly because it's the only one we had in the house. Not my favorite, but good enough! 😅

I will grab a cup of ice cream while you do the awards. The question is which one. I have like 12 lmao. Kinda leaning towards coconut chocolate almond.

Hello and welcome to this season's VHLE Awards!

We are a few minutes away from revealing this season's winners, so let's reminisce on a great S84 campaign and congratulate this season's statistical winners.

Renaissance Cup

Istanbul Red Wolves

After dominating the regular season, it didn't take much for the Red Wolves to assert their dominance on the ice. Throughout the playoffs, they showcased themselves as the team to beat, but no one was able to. In the end, they met a valiant Vasteras team who was looking to avenge their S83 run but couldn't match the Red Wolves. Now the team says farewell to their beloved GM, @KaleebtheMighty, but welcomes their new leader who hopes to quickly lead them out of this upcoming rebuild. Good Luck to @Daniel Janser!

Best in the Regular Season

Istanbul Red Wolves 

100 Points

Goal Leader

Tyler Busser, @lil z

45 Goals

Assist Leader

Harry Hagel, @jasplunds

63 Assists

Point Leader

Tyler Busser, @lil z

100 Points

Lowest Goals Against Average

Orion D H Chiester IX, @Donno100

2.35 GAA

Highest Save Percentage

Clueless Wallob, @DMaximus

.935 SV%

Edited by leandrofg
Thanks, Minion!

Tonight's first award will be for Top Two-Way Forward.

We have three nominees for this category.

Cobalt Burns had an amazing campaign with the incumbent champions, Anton Bielas, who of the three nominees seemed to have a more difficult path towards finding their place offensively, and Alessio Simeoni, who capped a three-year campaign in Cologne with the best effort of his career.

Your winner, with 7 of the 8 votes, is...

Spoiler

Cobalt Burns, @Ledge. Congratulations!

Runner-up with 1 vote, Alessio Simeoni, @Shawner40

Next up, the Top Goaltender!

Edited by leandrofg

Top Goaltender

Goaltenders around the league continue to wreak havoc on offenses. These guys are machines, but it's still easy to distinguish good from bad and, more importantly... good from great.

These three goaltenders are great. No way around it, and the on of them is a well-known face around the VHLE. Orion D H Chiester IX is entering his 6th year in Bratislava... that's nearing a whole career. And all signs point to Orion still having the starter job. And who wouldn't give them that!? The other two may not have the years of experience, but what they lack in that department, they make up for it with youth tenacity. Wallob led qualifying-Goalies in save percentage and has now taken the starting job in Prague. Murdock overcame all of life's adversities and is now a top prospect, slated to become the next great goalie in Moscow.

Your winner, with 5 of the 8 votes, is...

Spoiler

Orion D H Chiester IX, @Donno100. Congratulations!

Runner-up, with 2 other votes, Clueless Wallob, @DMaximus . And with 1, Matt Murdock, @Acydburn.

Next, the Top Defenseman!

Top Defenseman

Defensemen are an ever-evolving breed. Nowadays, some of these players do things with the puck that the old forwards couldn't do, even on Adderall. But defending still isn't a lost art. We still have true defensemen. Jeff Buffy is proof of that, and playing in Geneva allowed him to do so, and they hope to continue that trend this season. Harry Hagel has now moved on to the VHL after three seasons in Bratislava, but S84 was arguably his best yet. Lastly, AK92 Wit da Hoodie is one of those generational talents that have everything going for them. After a season and a half in the VHLM, AK92 graduated to the VHLE to showcase their talents... and so they, incredibly, did.

Spoiler

AK92 Wit da Hoodie, @hedgehog337. Congratulations!

Runner-up, with 3 other votes, Harry Hagel, @jasplunds.

Next, the Top Executive!

Top Executive

While their players are grinding, these GMs are awake, thinking of ways they can bring the Renaissance Cup home, and their AGMs are awake too... writing Press Conferences.

None of the nominees are unknown to the audience, partially because it appears there isn't one. Burn(!) - on me, I guess?

Anyway, @KaleebtheMighty created a Red Wolves team that took the E by storm. They may not have dominated like the previous year's Iron Eagles, but they sure let everyone know that the VHLE was theirs for the taking. @Arce, a first-year GM with the Iron Eagles, inherited a great situation from the previous GM and took full advantage of it, winning their conference and going to the Renaissance Cup Finals. Lastly, S83 Champion, @FrostBeard. It isn't easy winning the championship and coming back the upcoming year with an uber-competitive team, but that's what happened in Bratislava. And if it weren't for the Red Wolves, we could have been discussing the Watchmen's repeat.

Your winner, with 7 of the 8 votes, is...

Spoiler

@KaleebtheMighty. Congratulations!

Runner-up, with 1 other vote, @Arce.

Next, the Playoff MVP!

Playoff MVP

There wasn't a drop of unanimity for this award... well, there is actually! It comes from the two best teams in the VHLE, last season.

Vasteras or Istanbul?

You'd think this would be a straightforward decision since Tyler Busser managed to dominate in every way. But enter his teammate, Matt Murdock, and a foe in Christopher Young. Murdock made this shortlist because in just 12 playoff games, the Red Wolves let their opponents shoot 13% more than in the regular season, and while Murdock kept his save percentage, his GAA suffered and increased proportionally. Christopher Young, on the other hand, played like he had been there before. And he had been, the year before, and without the likes of Goncalves or Retoslav, Young stepped up, but there wasn't a thing they could do to turn the tide.

Spoiler

Tyler Busser, @lil z. Congratulations!

Runner up with 2 votes, Matt Murdock, @Acydburn, and with 1 vote, Christopher Young, @Laflamme.

Next, what everyone is coming for, is the MVP!

Edited by leandrofg

Most Valuable Player

Well... what can you say about this season's race for MVP? You firmly didn't know which way it was going to go.

Even when the season was at its end, you couldn't put your finger on who was to be our MVP.

So, indulge me in looking at the rankings everyone looks to when thinking of the MVP. The Point rankings. At number 5, with 87 Points, AK92 Wit da Hoodie, @hedgehog337. Number 4, with 88 Points, Sock Monkey, @chikn. Number 3, with 88 Points, Christopher Young, @Laflamme. Number 2, with 89 Points and without a nomination, Fraser Wallace, @Hoopydog. And at number 1, with 100 Points... well, I'll be damned, 100 Points!? That's my pick, Tyler Busser, @lil z.

Well, alright, calm down! It can't be that simple! Let's take a look at the Points per 20 Minutes! A more correct outlook on a player's time on the ice. Erasing outliers from the list, AK92 is 8th, with a .79 P/20. Sock Monkey is 2nd with a 1.04 P/20. Young is 6th with a .85 P/20. Wallace, 3rd with a .91 P/20. And, finally, Busser is 1st, with a 1.13.

Clearly, Sock Monkey and Tyler Busser are a step ahead of the competition, but if you look further, at the plus/minus column, for example, where Sock has a +39, against a +8 from Busser. Or at the shot efficiency, where Sock beats Tyler by nearly 3%... you start to think.

Is Sock Monkey the favorite?

Your winner, by unanimous vote, is...

Spoiler

Tyler Busser, @lil z. Congratulations!

This wraps up our S84 VHLE Awards presentation. I hope you have enjoyed our evening, and more importantly, I hope you're ready for the season that's about to start!

Congratulation to all the winners, to the nominees, and the not nominated but deserving of it!

On behalf of the VSN team, I thank you.

Good night and take care, everyone!

Looney Tunes Nothing To See Here GIF