Mid-season Awards: Vancouver Wolves

Gaikoku-hito

241881984_VancouverLogo.thumb.png.e847e5789d28b729d566aca1f35b55c4.png

Mid-Season Awards

Best defenseman:

When most look at best defenseman awards are they looking at points or all the different stats across the board. I think most look at points first but this doesn`t suggest the best defenseman but rather the best offensive defenseman that season. That being said the current leader of this award happens also to lead the Vancouver Wolves in points from the back end with 40pts but he has also shown a defensive side to his game with 87 blocked shots, 44 hits and only 29 PIM showing that he is rarely caught out of position. The current leader of this award is: Nathan Powers @JB123

Rookie of the Year:

Vancouver has been blessed with three talented rookies joining the team this season and all have played a huge role in the team’s success to date. Once again while it easy to look at the points total only, I like to see how has been contributing across the board but so far one of the Rookies clearly stands out ahead of the other two with 21pts, 8.7% SHT%, 11 SB and plus 11. The current leader of this award is: Dogwood Maple @dogwoodmaple

Unsung Hero

This award is always one of the hardest but most awarding to give to someone since it usually means that they are not amount the leaders in points, but majority of the players and management value this players contribution beyond trackable values.  While I might be the one currently selecting the awards by myself, this question has been asked multiple times in press conferences since I have taken over as AGM so without a doubt this player is our current unsung hero; This is currently Brandt Fuhr  @Tate

Most Energetic

This award is usually for one of the most active member in the locker room and Vancouver has been blessed this season with a whole bunch of new players bring in great leadership, experience and energy to the locker room; which makes this award hard to award as three members have clearly been very positive impacts on the locker room this season but as of right now I have to award this to Nico Pearce @Spartan as he is one of the first to always comment after the results in the locker room, press conference and has stated all the right things through the roller-coaster of season to date.

Most Valuable player

Again, this award is usually award to the player that scores the most points on the team but again I tend to look at different aspect as to what makes the player the most valuable to the team being a good team leader, on and off the ice while contributing to make the team better. While Brandt Fuhr @Tate must be considered as he is our current Unsung Hero, I once again think one player has stood head and shoulders above everyone else this season. Our current MVP is: Nico Pearce @Spartan

Little Wolf Award (Most Hits)

I was a bit surprised by the results of this since it one of the few clear-cut awards as it simple cannot be disputed but it does make sense in some way that this player is creating turn overs, space and opportunities for his line mates with timely hits; in the case of current little wolf creating space and time from himself as our little wolf with 155 hits is: Nico Pearce @Spartan

Sniper Award (Shooting percentage)

This award shows which player is making the most of his opportunities around the net and if you have been following the Wolves this season it really should be much of a surprise as he always seems to be on the score sheet when the game is on the line. With an impressive 9.88% shooting percentage our Sniper Award currently leader is: Anze Miklavz @kelvi

QB Award (PP Assists)

Every team requires a good power play if they are going to have success and this usually requires one individual to lead the power play aka the QB of the power play. While once gain this isn`t a debatable award since it straight numbers I was surprised to see that Vancouver currently has three players that tend to QB the power play as the gap between these three players is only three points difference but that being said the current leader with 12 assists is: Nathan Powers @JB123

Tooth Fairy (PM Award)

Two players have really stood up this season for the younger wolves this season when teams have tried to take liberties but one has done this straight from the start of the season and is most likely to pick up a major in fighting as I think every time someone on Vancouver has dropped the gloves this season it has been this player or at least that is the way it seems. With 94 PM our team’s goon is currently: Anze Miklavz @kelvi

Always responsible (Plus/Minus)

I was actually very surprised that we have around six players within a few points of the current leader with two defense men being clearly responsible around their own end of the ice and while they might not be viewed as the team’s current top defense man, they have shown that they are more then capable of holding their own while their defensive partners might be taking some liberties. I would also like to mention the leading forward was also a huge surprise and shows that all the little things matter as Svatopluk Puk @Otaznik is actually tied in second with plus 15. Showing his defensive side of game giving is line mate more opportunity offensively but the current leader is: Pierre Emile Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito with a plus 16.

Oops Sorry Eh!! (Least hits)

On every team you will always have that one player that just seems to avoid all possible contact and only throw a hit if he accidentally ran into you in the corner, which I am assuming is followed with an "Oops sorry I didn`t see you there. I try not to hit you next time", response and I was also surprised that he also doesn`t have the least PM meaning he uses his stick more then his body. Our current leader by a lot with only 12 hits is Alexandre Leduc  @Lemorse7 or Lady Leduc.

It wasn`t me(Least PM)

While some players play rough and loose with their sticks making most scared to enter the corner with them for fear of accidentally being clipped by stick, elbow or glove. This player is on the other end of the spectrum and most likely took the fall for another player on the team. With only 4PM to date this season our current leader of the It wasn`t me Award is: Dogwood Maple @dogwoodmaple

Shoot the lights out (Most shots)

This award didn`t surprise me in the least when I saw who shoots the puck the most on our roster as I also think he leads the league with the most shots, which leads me to think does he even consider his line mates. His 32 assists suggest he isn`t hacking away all the time but with 318 shots our current leader for the Shoot the lights out award is: Nico Pearce @Spartan

Most Minutes played

With ice time fairly equal across the two lines and the two defensive pairing; it was a bit of a surprise to see one player averaging 30.40 minutes of ice time almost 5 minutes more than our least played player. Our current leader of Most Minutes played award is: Nathan Powers @JB123

Common Coach (Least played)

I was surprised to see this stat and might also be a huge contributing factor as to why this player isn`t making a run at the VHL Rookie of the year let alone Rookie of the year on the team when you consider the lack of opportunities this first overall selection has been getting leading most to say Common Coach play the kid. With only 24.99 average ice time per game leading the way is Henry Eagles @Greg_Di with 974 minutes or 211 less minutes or 3.5 games less then Powers.

Bruised & Battered Award (SB Award)

A defender or a forward willing to lay down the body in front of the net playing goaltender when the game is on the line like a unsung hero might actually not get recognized for the defensive efforts. At the current moment of writing these two players are currently tied with 87 shots blocked just under 20 SB more then third played team mate; who has 69 SB (nice). These two players are:  Nathan Powers @JB123 and Wattson Power  @Tape-to-Tape

Top Stopper Award

The back bone of any team is always their goaltenders as they are the last line of defense and can make the difference between winning and losing so it was a bit of surprise to see that our current Top Stopper is B-Van G1 as he has a perfect 0.00 GAA and 1.000 SAV% in the full ten minutes played. Okay, Now I understand why you need to look at tenders with at least a minimum minute played or games started but with most of our back-up game still needing to be played B-Van G1 still has a chance to catch the currently leader in Brandt Fuhr @Tate

Three Star Award

Maybe I haven`t been paying attention as closely as I should have been to the three awards after every game since I thought this might be a bit closer but with 16 stars in 39 games so far this season our Three star leader is: Nico Pearce  @Spartan with nine first stars, three second stars and four third star for a huge lead in points with 370pts compared to second best Anze Miklavz  @kelvi at 190pts. Also happy to state that all eleven players on the roster this season has also been a star including a surprise twelfth member in B-Van C1

1ST Star

2nd Star

3rd star

Total

Nico Pearce 

Anze Miklavz

Alexandre Leduc

Brandt Fuhr

Biggie Cheese

Pierre Emile Bouchard

Nathan Powers

Wattson Power

Dogwood Maple

Svatopluk Puk

B-VAN C1

Henry Eagles

Top Prospect Award:

Part of the managing any team in the any of the three leagues is to continue to look to future while trying to be competitive today and a huge aspect of any teams future is the teams prospects. We are very luck as we have three prospects that are still earning and looking to become future part of the Wolves with William Futch @Futch, Alex Bridges III  @Oatex and Jimmy MacElroy  @Xflexz all developing in the VHLE this season. This isn`t the most ready prospect but rather to highlight a rather impressive season that they are currently having while developing so with 9 goals – 18 assist for 27 points William Futch @Futch is currently leading the way in our Top Prospect award, closely followed by MacElroy & Bridges III. All three are having solid seasons.

Final Thoughts:

We will see if all these current leaders hold onto their current trophies at the end of the season but let me be honest as I like to have the team take part more in awards and recognizing others for the great season that they had so I am assuming some of these if not all of these might change based on how the overall team feels about each award. Least I remember also to actually complete these awards at the end of season or during the off season but I thought it would be nice to recognize some of the player at the half way mark of the season. It was a fun exercise.

With thirty-three games remaining over what I think is around three weeks it has been a very interesting season so far for the Vancouver Wolves, which is almost mimicking our off-season as we started on a high note, followed by a down period before I think shocking the league with six trades leading us to be competitive this season after drafting first overall this season. Now as long as we don`t mess things up to badly we should at least be play-off bound with an 24-12-3 record and hopefully this team will hoist more awards than these team awards when we are all said and done.

A lot can still happen between now and the end of the season but I am very proud of every member of this team. I am excited for the remainder of the season as I am sure we are going to continue to ride the roller coaster with up and downs along the way but it has been a great season already to this point so I am ready to continue the ride!!

2000+ words

4 weeks of claims Oct 2, Oct 9, Oct 16, Oct 23

5 hours ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Oops Sorry Eh!! (Least hits)

On every team you will always have that one player that just seems to avoid all possible contact and only throw a hit if he accidentally ran into you in the corner, which I am assuming is followed with an "Oops sorry I didn`t see you there. I try not to hit you next time", response and I was also surprised that he also doesn`t have the least PM meaning he uses his stick more then his body. Our current leader by a lot with only 12 hits is Alexandre Leduc  @Lemorse7 or Lady Leduc.

yeah I also got 17 pim in 1 game for a fight and a misconduct so I only got 4 real PIM 😛