GM Musings

Shindigs

Random Ravings about GM Qualities

There are a lot of really good GMs in this league, and there have been and without a doubt still are some less stellar ones. Not to mention that depending on which exact league you're in means what makes a good/bad GM are completely different. With something that may make you an excellent GM at the VHL level being quite likely to be more of a hindrance at the VHLM level.

For a VHL level GM you may put greater value on skills like getting new GMs to perpetually pay you 1st for your cap dumps, or other such highly useful skills. Whereas in the VHLM, completely screwing over your fellow GMs arguably just means you make the developmental experience worse for the poor souls that end up on that GMs team.

What's a good VHLM GM in my Eyes?

So what makes a good VHLM GM then? Well, basically the exact same traits that make a good teacher. Because in reality your primary job in the VHLM isn't to fleece the shit out of other GMs in trades, or making the sweatiest lineup possible to purely maximize play time of your best players. That's just not really what translates into success at that level, not long term at least. What you instead look for it a willingness to connect with your players, the patience to babysit them and lead them along until they reach the point where they no longer need that support and are autonomous as members of the VHL. You need to be able to help keep the LR active, and make each of your players feel as though they are seen and appreciated. Because when you first join this league it's so easy to feel like no one knows/cares who you are. And getting proof to the contrary just feels good, getting recognition for going the extra mile with earning and seeing other people getting hyped over what your player is doing on the ice is a pretty powerful tool to getting someone invested in the league.

All the above takes a lot of effort though, so really it has to be something you actually enjoy. Don't do all that stuff because it's what gives you success, do it because helping others is the reward. That's ultimately the mindset I see as key to doing well in the VHLM. You're there to develop talent, and you have to see that development as the win. Because it really is, doesn't hurt that it's also what actually wins you games too. Because that helps reward your players for putting in that extra effort. Most of us prefer winning over losing.

Some VHLM Storylines

Some GMs do truly embody this style and you can usually see it both in the amount of higher earning prospects they produce and the morale of their teams, regardless of success levels. @badcolethetitan's Mexico being an interesting example this season. By any and all metrics they are having an awful season compared to expectations on the ice. But they are still having a blast in the LR, so they're on point. @jacobcarson877's SDM last season were in a similar situation down the stretch. They didn't really have a snowball's chance in hell of competing. But the atmosphere in the LR was still great, to the point where many GMs went out of their way to try and draft that LR onto their teams this season.

Vegas has really been on both sides of that situation already this season, because of the drafting strategy I went with. We started out being quite low in the table. But we still had good morale and the LR was popping off most the time, so it was still a good place to learn and grow. With that growth the results have also come, which I love to see. It wouldn't have been possible without the massive performance all my awesome players have put in this season. Our internal weekly award for most TPE earned has never been more hotly contested than it has been this season, despite us being in the season that by common VHLM wisdom is supposed to be our "tank" season. So I'm ever so grateful that I was able to get this group together to show that the 2 season compete window boom-bust cycle of the VHLM doesn't have to be a thing.

The Spartan Effect

The one thing I haven't really touched upon, other than mentioning it once is the LR activity side of things. Honestly, @Spartan  is the one who probably has done this best. When it comes to consistent LR activity Moscow really can't be beat. It's not uncommon for the general chat there to have more messages in a day than the league general chat (but with a lot less toxicity, unless you're @Arce). Not only because Spartan spams messages like nobody's business. But because he's invited a lot of chill "neutrals" who have similar interests and personalities. Which means it's really self sustaining at this point, as could be seen by it still being one of the most active LRs while he was away on vacation earlier this year. So if you're a GM and you know a bunch of cool people around the league. Do invite them to your LR and cultivate an "open" general chat in your LR where anyone and everyone in the server is invited to join in. Because especially in the VHLM it can be hard for newer members to "put themselves out there" and start up conversations on their own. It's a lot easier to just join in on existing, chill conversations.

Thanks to those I learned from

So overall in my experience here both before picking up a management role myself, and after. The two LRs that shaped me and my approach the most are probably @AJW/ @MubbleFubblesera LVA LR. Which was the first LR of a team I wasn't on that I got invited to, and ultimately why I ended up GM of Vegas eventually. As well as Spartan's Moscow LR. They showed me what level of activity and player involvement was possible, and it set a goal for me to strive for both as AGM in Bratislava and later as GM in Vegas. It was also @FrostBeard's occasional sim "reviews" in the LR that gave me the idea to flesh out my stat nerdy scatterplots with more writing to help engage my players in the sims. So thanks to all of you for showing what could be done. I wouldn't be where I am with Vegas rn without you all.

1082 words or so, claiming for 2 weeks.

One of the best GMs in the M, if not the best. You are an example of how a team should be ran in the M, the Aces are a dynasty and you’re for sure one of the greats. I’ll miss ya when you decide to step down. 😧

@ShindigsI cannot say it enough - you are a true gem of this community and in my eyes, one of the 2 BEST VHLM GMs that have been in that role since S66. Other being Gustav with his run at the helm of Hounds.  

This is a review for 1 TPE to get my final point since I didnt have a clue on the trivia questions this week.  I picked Shindigs’ media spot because Spartan hasn’t done a new podcast for me to listen to.  I’m glad I selected this media spot because unlike mine, Shindigs has meaningful substance that was actually beneficial reading.

Starting the review with evaluating grammar, I only saw one spelling error that was so minor because the content was too captivating that I didnt look for anything to be critical over.  You set the stage perfectly by providing a general overview of valuable points to consider and then you took it to the next level by giving excellent examples of what you believe to be traits of a good GM.  Now granted, picking these traits was easy because all you had to do was look in the mirror.

Your second part of the discussion involving storylines was also an interesting read.  I am familiar with Badcole, so I was happy to read what I agree with regarding him and Mexico City.  I do not know JacobCarson well enough but certainly appreciate what you had to write about him and the Marlins.  You have teaching moments in the locker room and you have done so as well in this media spot.  You included just enough detail to emphasize your points and capture your audience.

I liked the paragraph titled “The Spartan Effect,” because you provided some valuable advice for current and future GMs using the abilities of another GM, who happens to be one of my favorite podcasters!  You gave an in depth description of reasons why you believe the way you do regarding the locker room and demonstrated its true value with Spartan’s success.

Lastly, you gave credit where credit is due and you revealed your nerdy scatterplot originator!  And I thought you created the stat scatterplot.  All in all, your media spot was very well written and should be read by anyone who is a GM, AGM, or has a desire to become one.  If you don’t believe me, read the comments from those who read your media spot.  Very well written.

Score 10/10

369 words

6 hours ago, Thunder said:

Lastly, you gave credit where credit is due and you revealed your nerdy scatterplot originator!

Actually the scatter plots were all me, adding in the writing surrounding it to be more captivating to people who aren't as into visual representation of stats was more what I got from Frosty in Bratislava.

Also good job on writing a review that was almost long enough to be a MS in its own right.😅 With obvious bonus points for there being a 69 in the word count.😏 And thank you so much for all the kind words.