#asktheBouch: Management

Gaikoku-hito

2106016464_AsktheBouchLogo.jpg.4e420463d70b0f87c140bbe4f9d65176.jpg

Here we are in a theme week meaning that most of my thoughts this week center around the theme week and management in the on-going series called #AsktheBouch, with sophomore defender of the Vancouver Wolves, Pierre Emile Bouchard as we actually sit down and ask the young player about management.

Good day, Pierre. Are you ready for today’s interview?

Actually, I am a bit nervous about this topic as you are going to asking me about management; right?

Yes, But I am not here to asking directly about your current management or past management but rather more in a general topic. Is that okay with you?

I guess so but I also hope I don`t throw any managers under the bus here!!

What makes a good manager?

Oh, Wow!! I wish I actually knew this question and I think the answer might be different depending on who you ask since there are different ways to manage; just as there are different ways to lead.

Okay, can you summarize what you think makes a good manager in general then?

I will try!! I think the manager needs to listen to players and be openly honest with them. Most would say good communicators but I actually don`t think they need to be good communicators but rather bluntly honest. If you are considering sitting a player then say so and given the why. If you need to make a trade or trade a player for whatever reason then let the player know why they are being traded. This is a two-way street as the player also need to be honest in return.

So, this sounds like you are talking from experience on this one? Is this about being traded from New York Americans?

Honestly, yes!! I had a very unsure feeling about the team’s direction before they traded me. While I was holding back some of my own thoughts. I think management was also holding back. This cannot happen when you are saying a player is going to be a franchise player for your organization.

When you say honest direction, what do you mean?

Well, I don`t want to get too deep into but I felt we had a losing culture and I didn`t see this improving too much before my entry level contract expired.

In the end New York did the right thing trading you then to get some returning ascents before you walked away as free agent?

Well, yes!! But they didn`t know I was thinking that way when they traded me plus I was still a very serviceable defender in my rookie season but aren`t we getting away from the topic now?

Yes, but this must be more interesting to the readers!! So do you have anything else to say about being a good manager then?

Not really as it is a fine balancing act between doing what is right for the team and what is right for the player so hopefully being blunt, honest and communicating means the player understand his role within the organization so will understand why they are going to be traded or how they can improve the teams’ chances. Not doing so leaves the team and player in limbo; only hurting the chances of both of them continuing to work together.

Well, thank you for your time today discussing management and hopefully we can sit down in the near future again.