Theme Week - Adventures of a GM (Kinda)

jakkysosa

Taking a look at my resume of being a GM within the league, is quite an interesting one for someone who has never really been a GM of a team. Yet in spite of it all, my tenure of operating STHS and even control within a team I have created is a thrill I wish many hockey lovers can share and experience. Below, I'll discuss my time creating the Glasgow Guardians and Chamonix Black Diamonds, the season of Halifax and most recently, operating a team in the World Junior Classic.

Chamonix Black Diamonds
If you haven't heard of CBD.... Okay bad abbreviation. How about CHX. If you haven't heard about CHX, then allow me to introduce to you them.... if you have then this is probably your twentieth time as I have mentioned this team NUMEROUS times to people. The origin of the team came from a point task about potential team names and locations for a VHL expansion, before they created the VHLE. In that list of teams, I put one called the "Chamonix Black Diamonds", a hockey team centered in France. Chamonix is one of France's most successful locations for hockey and known for its snowy mountains, perfect for skiing. With all the research done on that team and several others, the name and origin still fascinated me the most. In an off-season, the league hosts a fun Pro-Am for others to GM and make teams, keeping others busy while the off-season shenanigans go down. I volunteered and with the freedom to make my own team, I went with Chamonix. Sadly, while the team did not end up winning the championship, it still made quite an impact in the playoffs of the Pro-Am. Everything about it was so fun for me, the focus of specific parts of a team, doing research on players and viewing their stats, comparing it to others and see who I liked the most out of them all. I took it seriously, even if it was for fun, I wanted to win. I was open to change and making weird combinations with ice time and pairings, making one lineup different than the next to see what sticks the most. It was a thrill and it certainly kept me going for even more. Enough to go for seconds in the following Pro-Am

Glasgow Guardians
Making European teams is my thing I guess (lol). The origin of GSG came from my own hockey custom league that I made several years ago, a name and location added into a giant poll of potential team ideas. This year I gave people the option to choose what my team will be, no matter the aesthetic or location, I wanted them to decide. Out of them all, Glasgow won and was created. While the colors were not what I had in mind, it felt like the team truly evolved its identity and more through the Pro-Am which looking back at it... I loved it. I loved seeing the team use #GuardUp in the server, I loved seeing what I first started out with get its own logo and more unique color palette. Everything was a growing pain, but it was worth it. Like Chamonix, I did heavy research on the players I would draft, trying to do things as strategic as possible to make sure I got the important things, such as a strong defense if the goalie wasn't a high level or people good at scoring or faceoffs when choosing between forwards. Just like Chamonix, no luck on a championship but what I got was a stronger passion for being a GM in the VHL. While at the time I would still be in college and unable to take a job as serious and heavy as a GM role, I did take things a step further for a legit team in the VHL. Being an assistant GM for Halifax 21st.

Halifax 21st
Connections are important. At the time of my VHL tenure, I knew two people quite well for their help in getting me in the league. Hylands and rory, GM and AGM of the Mexico City Kings at the time. Hylands would later be the GM of Malmo and rory would be GM of Halifax 21st. While I helped Hylands with some lineup tweaks, my connection with rory and previous experiences handling STHS made it good enough to be hired as the team's AGM. Coming up with new questions for press conferences was tough at times but fun for the sake of creativity and activity, I loved making lineups and the team we created was phenomenal. From huge winning streaks to being the best VHLM team that season, things were looking good.... for now. Sadly, once playoffs came around the team was eliminated in the first round. No matter how many tweaks and adjustments, we fell flat. Plain and simple. Then things truly came crashing down, rory left the team and new management came in. With that, I was in and out of Halifax in one season. Despite the playoff pains, it was certainly a fun experience and one I'm truly proud of. For a while that was my only GM role, I would then focus on my studies for a few months before coming back to the VHL. Seeing an opportunity and more time to myself I figured I would shake off the ring rust and join... Team World.

Team World
When being scouted for the World Juniors Classic, I told those in charge that I was open to any challenge given. Not having a preference on what country or team to represent and build, being handed World was a blessing and a curse. With the rules of the WJC, 8 of the 15 players were practically chosen immediately. Both my goalies were set and not a single defenseman given, meaning the other half is all me. Yet, there was a beauty in this. Looking at the list of available players, almost everyone that wasn't taken could qualify for Team World, like I had a special permission that no other team had. With that, I focused heavy on defense. Researching players and cropping out those with lower defense stats, then when things were tied or in need of backup, I'd check their VHLE/M stats too see who impressed the most. While Team World only ended up 4th out of 5th in the playoffs, the team managed to be 2nd place in a very tight race in the standings. I came in with low expectations and truly wanted us to defy all the odds and guesses people had... somehow someway, it worked out.

Being a GM again was fun, submitting changed lines, making new ones and even having themes with who starts and who is matched with who. I have fun when GMing and the help of VHL's database makes things more interesting. It's not just who has the most TPE, it's about what you need and what works best for you. That's the beauty of sports. I hope to one day represent another VHL team, whether it's VHLE, VHLM or even being a AGM again, I enjoyed what I did and truthfully... I can't wait for the next chance. Of course, if someone wants to hire me just contact me here or discord.

Being a GM is something everyone should try, whether pass or fail... it's an experience.

Word Count: 1,232 words.
(
using for PT weeks Sept 26-Oct 2 & Oct 3-9)

Edited by TMGSosa