Banned

@samx Can we get more information on this please? Are they not allowed to have free speech? or did they personally attack someone? Because these are 2 different things.

User @Bedirhanhas received a 1 week forum suspension (10/4-10/11) and 2 week tpe ban (weeks starting 10/10 and 10/17) for violation of the vhl code of conduct.

Specifically section 1.1 attacks against sexual orientation and gender identity. 

Reminder to all that everyone is allowed to freely share their gender identity and sexual orientation and speak about it. We don't tolerate comments made discouraging healthy conversations about said topics.

User @jRuutu has received a 2 week forum suspension (10/4-10/18) and 3 week tpe ban (weeks starting 10/10, 10/17, 10/24) 

Specifically section 1.1 attacks against sexual orientation and gender identity. 

Reminder to all that everyone is allowed to freely share their gender identity and sexual orientation and speak about it. We don't tolerate comments made discouraging healthy conversations about said topics.

Just now, Achilles said:

soo they were punished for free speech and not actually attacking someone? Gotcha.

You have free speech but when free speech turns into hate speech you will be punished.

Just now, samx said:

You have free speech but when free speech turns into hate speech you will be punished.

but what defines hate speech? whatever you disagree with? I mean, hate speech can be anything. I just don't see why they are banned for this. maybe a warning or something. but this is a bit authoritarianism like.

of course I would never even talk about this issue in any chat I am in, I dont care and just here to play hockey, but this seems a bit over reach of power.

Just now, Achilles said:

but what defines hate speech? whatever you disagree with? I mean, hate speech can be anything. I just don't see why they are banned for this. maybe a warning or something. but this is a bit authoritarianism like.

of course I would never even talk about this issue in any chat I am in, I dont care and just here to play hockey, but this seems a bit over reach of power.

cool you don't have to talk about the topics but other people are free to. And discouraging talking about LGBTQ related is hurtful to the community. The LGBTQ community is silenced enough as it is in this world. This is a place they are allowed to freely talk about it. Telling people they are not allowed to talk about it is a form of anti-lgbtq which we do not allow in this league. feel as you may but the mods decision stands.

1 minute ago, samx said:

cool you don't have to talk about the topics but other people are free to. And discouraging talking about LGBTQ related is hurtful to the community. The LGBTQ community is silenced enough as it is in this world. This is a place they are allowed to freely talk about it. Telling people they are not allowed to talk about it is a form of anti-lgbtq which we do not allow in this league. feel as you may but the mods decision stands.

I am not discouraging any convo about that. I am guessing that is what they did? well regardless, you are wrong. the LGBT community has been stronger than ever and in every single movie and tv show made now. In fact being straight is looked down upon. I dont care who is what, or what is who. I just want to play hockey and have a good time. I don;t want hate of any kind either. but couldn't you done a warning and deleted the thread?

Just now, Achilles said:

I am not discouraging any convo about that. I am guessing that is what they did? well regardless, you are wrong. the LGBT community has been stronger than ever and in every single movie and tv show made now. In fact being straight is looked down upon. I dont care who is what, or what is who. I just want to play hockey and have a good time. I don;t want hate of any kind either. but couldn't you done a warning and deleted the thread?

I was told not first offense. I agree then.

20 minutes ago, Achilles said:

@samx Can we get more information on this please? Are they not allowed to have free speech? or did they personally attack someone? Because these are 2 different things.

User @Bedirhanhas received a 1 week forum suspension (10/4-10/11) and 2 week tpe ban (weeks starting 10/10 and 10/17) for violation of the vhl code of conduct.

User @jRuutu has received a 2 week forum suspension (10/4-10/18) and 3 week tpe ban (weeks starting 10/10, 10/17, 10/24) 

I'm not a mod, but I've been monitoring this situation closely as sam is not only a good friend of mine and my AGM, but the player in question was on my team.

That being said I fully support the punishment. Bedirhan made comments that were not only harassing in nature of the LGBTQ community, but also showed no remorse and doubled down on what he said. Free speech is alright on the site, but when he makes an article out of nowhere that nobody asked him to write, makes hurtful comments towards a specific group of people, and then claims that article for TPE, thats not longer free speech

Edited by ShawnGlade

Just now, ShawnGlade said:

I'm not a mod, but I've been monitoring this situation closely as sam is not only a good friend of mine and my GM, but the player in question was on my team.

That being said I fully support the punishment. Bedirhan made comments that were not only harassing in nature of the LGBTQ community, but also showed no remorse and doubled down on what he said. Free speech is alright on the site, but when he makes an article out of nowhere that nobody asked him to write, makes hurtful comments towards a specific group of people, and then claims that article for TPE, thats not longer free speech

I was told it wasn't the first time so I support it as well

35 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Are they not allowed to have free speech?

Free speech only protects you from government prosecution because of things you say. Nothing is stopping private forums from policing speech in any way. 

free_speech_2x.png

• Commissioner
14 minutes ago, a_Ferk said:

I interpreted Ruutu's article as clowing on the other guy, so I'm confused why he got a longer ban

Past history plays a part in future punishments. Ruutu has been in trouble more and therefore receives a harsher punishment.

• Commissioner
12 minutes ago, a_Ferk said:

I interpreted Ruutu's article as clowing on the other guy, so I'm confused why he got a longer ban

I believe that's due to what the DoPS would call "repeat offender" status.

And yes, what Eno said.

2 minutes ago, Enorama said:

Free speech only protects you from government prosecution because of things you say. Nothing is stopping private forums from policing speech in any way. 

free_speech_2x.png

lol so I am the bad guy for asking questions? not once did she tell me, she did give a first offense. only in direct messages. God forbid I am active and wanted more info.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

No one said this.

I understand the situation now. I am sorry for "calling you out" @samx   I was told just now by a good friend that doing a forum is calling someone out. That wasn't my intention. I just wanted information. Next time I will just send a direct message. Sorry everyone, I just wanted to understand the situation completely. I agree with this decision, again, a 3rd time.

Edited by Achilles

Just now, NSG said:

Yeah naw DMs or forum PMs are definitely the way to go :) 

Not the easy way to learn that lesson but glad ya did

@NSG Can we add that in to the new players guide? If I would have seen it, my actions would have been different.

• Baozi locked this topic
  • Head Moderator

Question has been answered. Locking thread.

Also people really need look up what freedom of speech means, because it was used incorrectly in this case and it really shouldn't be given how long that amendment has been around.

Edited by Baozi