David Booberry

:hcd:

Davos, Switzerland -- It can already be anticipated that future historians will be scratching their heads. Because through 45 games on the Helsinki Titans, goalie Xavier Booberry wasn't just leading the save percentage race, he was smoking the field at .938. And for his efforts, he was... barely in the top 10 in wins, and not even on the board in GAA. The reason is a whole lot of shots: Even a week leader, Booberry's 2019 shots against in Helsinki still sits higher than every other non-Riga goalie in the league.

It seemed inevitable that the shoe had to drop. And finally it did: Booberry was shipped off to Davos in a major trade deadline package, and he'll now join the third-place European Conference team in their quest for the title.

"I had a lot of fun in Helsinki, and a few good seasons. It's where I learned how to play goalie, adjusted to the VHL, and won some awards. Plus the playoff run last season, of course," Booberry said at his introductory Davos press conference. "I'm ready for the next challenge, but it will be because of my past growth in Helsinki that I am set up to thrive."

Of course, Helsinki's major drop this season comes as a result of a mass player exodus and not much replacing them on the back end - at times, Booberry was playing with random defensemen off the street in front of him. Still, despite the quick turn in fortune, Booberry doesn't hold any ill will against the Titans or their management.

"Look, sometimes careers don't develop the way that you anticipated. When I said that I thought my entire career would be with the Titans, I meant it," Booberry said. "Obviously, that didn't happen. And you could be bitter about that fact, or you could pick right up and dive into your new situation. I'm choosing the latter."

Indeed, Davos looks to be a good fit for the fifth-year goalie, particularly as they shipped out fellow S80 draftee David Davis in the deal. The Dynamo not only provide a winning team in the heart of his career, but a young roster that will continue to grow and compete in the coming seasons. Of the team's 10 front line skaters, six are S82 or younger, meaning depreciation is a while away. Booberry, who is signed through next season, also refuted a VSN report which claimed that he "for good reason likely wouldn’t extend beyond that."

"I like to think I'm a pretty loyal guy. I was loyal in Helsinki - I never did actually ask for a trade. I'd like to be loyal in Davos too," Booberry said. "If there's an effort to try and win here, and the team likes me here, then I don't see any reason why I'd go anywhere else. I'd like to be all in for the Dynamo."

And so far, it seems like the two sides are a good match. Through his first six games in purple, Booberry remains undefeated: a perfect 6-0 record, including wins over top teams in Moscow and D.C. His save percentage is also hanging around his previous Helsinki total, leading some to start to speculate whether awards would be in his future.

But Booberry says he's not thinking about that for now. To hear him tell it, his mind is fully oriented towards one goal: the playoffs and a first round bye. "I've only been in the playoffs once in my career, and never won a playoff series at that. That needs to change," Booberry said. "My goal is to get Davos as far as I can, including a title. And I think we've got the talent to get it done."