VSN Presents Prospect Pipeline, S85 2nd Edition

AvXP1tw.jpg

Attention, Heavenly Seven: Ash Sparks

(written by @kirbithan)

The S85 VHLM Draft was a spectacle to behold. It boasted many talents and unexpected twists and turns. One of the most notable feats was that a total of seven goaltenders were selected in the draft’s first two rounds. This was unprecedented, but the goaltender class looked exceptionally strong. This season, many games in the VHLM have come down to how well these netminders performed, which aptly earned them the nickname of the “Heavenly Seven.”

Who are the Heavenly Seven? What are their stories? Could this be a nickname that follows this group for the rest of their careers?

In the first edition of Attention, Heavenly Seven, veteran VHL member @DarkSpyro - also known as Ash Sparks - is the man of the hour. Spyro has consistently updated his listeners about the Heavenly Seven and their performances on his podcast “Spyro After Dark” and is thoroughly invested in his player as well as the others within the Seven. 

Spyro also had a hand in creating the “Heavenly Seven” nickname. After browsing an article centered around the “Big Five” goalies before the draft, Spyro commented that the author excluded two goalies from the list and mentioned that he disliked the “Big Five” nickname. The author then replied, “How about the Heavenly Seven then?” Spyro embraced the Heavenly Seven and emphasized how much he adored the nickname. 

When he first joined the VHL in S68, his first player was also a goaltender named Jimmy Spyro. He notes that this was the “best time he had in the league.” However, after a while, he was on welfare and lost interest in the league before being roped back into it at the urging of his friends. He had an overwhelming urge to recreate as a goaltender and play in net again. Thus, Ash Sparks was born. 

Spyro’s nickname originated from his time as a goalie in roller hockey when he was around 9 years old. His goalie mask design had two purple dragons on either side, roaring fire past the cage to the chin. Then, the Spyro game was recently released for the PlayStation, so one of his teammates commented, “His mask is like a badass Spyro the Dragon... that’s it! You’re Spyro.” As Spyro’s team wore nicknames on the back of their jerseys instead of surnames, the moniker stuck for that season and the next twenty years. 

When it came to Ash Sparks, Ash was derived from the middle name of Spyro’s son “Asher,” but also represented Spyro metaphorically “rising from the ashes” to return to the VHL stronger than ever. Meanwhile, Sparks was also a reference to the video game that Spyro’s nickname originated from all those years ago. Sparks the dragonfly was a companion and protector of Spyro the Dragon, representing Ash Sparks as the protector of the crease and his legacy.

Spyro knew Ash Sparks could have been selected anywhere in the VHLM draft with how deep the goaltender class was. He was drafted 15th overall by the Halifax 21st and put up stellar performances after his team’s slow start to the season. He was delighted to end up on Halifax, as they were a team that started the season near the bottom of the power rankings with a lack of defense. It was the perfect place to prove his worth and showcase his skills to their fullest potential.

As of the publication of this article, Sparks is one of the best goaltenders in the league. He is more than pleased with his performance between the pipes: “My goal for this season? Prove I am the best, the true top dog, and that I am a force to be feared no matter who my opposition may be. A few more shutouts, finish with my team ready for the playoffs, and lastly win the Founder’s Cup.”

He is also an extremely active member of both the forum and his locker room, energized by his new player and the people he’s surrounded by. He made his return to the league with a podcast co-hosted with his friend @DoktorFunk. Not only has it been his main source of TPE, but it has kept him engaged with the VHL. “I have fallen back in love with the community and meeting new people always gives me motivation to keep being myself.” He makes firing up his teammates and getting them pumped for each gameday his everyday goal. 

Finally, Spyro was asked if he had any words for the other members of the Heavenly Seven, and he responded accordingly. “All memes made by me are not with ill intent, they are made out of playful love for our bond. We are all the Heavenly Seven and will forever be rivals, but I adore and respect all of you. Each time we step on the ice, I’ll meet you by the boards near the benches for some props and to wish you good luck, always be myself and friendly. . .but then after that until the final buzzer blows... I will be your worst nightmare. See you on the ice, my friends.”

--

Silly Season

(written by @leandrofg)

That's the nickname for the trade deadline, right? It's that time of the season when caution is sometimes thrown out the window. It could be a General Manager overvaluing their own team, which turns them into a desperate buyer. Or worse, a General Manager that undervalues their team and turns them into an eager seller.

Anyway, the silly season always comes and goes. And thankfully, we are always here to follow it actively. This season we were treated to a not-so-active deadline, but the trades that happened sure left us with something to write about.

Let's start with the VHLM.

It was September 26th. A week before the deadline and an emergency call placed by the season's start was answered. Finally, somebody answered the prayers of Ben McLaughlin, @Ben mclaughlin. It's been a turmoiled career in the VHLM for the Canadian. The quality seems to be there, but everything else seems to not be clicking for that player. After starting as a Free Agent pickup on a lousy Season 83 Kings team, they were traded to Miami to finish the season. At the season 84 draft, the Marauders used their time together to pick Ben. They still decided to trade them to Mississauga during the latter's S84 playoff push. A season later, Ben is on their third (and final) VHLM season, and they find themselves back in Miami. Three seasons of lackluster numbers, but let's hope this last chance to make a mark in the playoffs is taken by Ben!

Heads up! The 0-63 Mississauga Hounds prove that a roster limit must be imposed in the VHLM.

Then another trade happened. This one took a while! And it took that much because the Houston Bulls were on fire. They were burning so hot that I could almost feel them 8000 kilometers away. High on the standings and leading the league in goals scored, the Houston Bulls weren't selling until there was a tipping point in their season... which was expected to happen. And thankfully, for my personal predictor, this trade happened. Well, thankfully at 50% because I got the team wrong. Saskatoon did well and swooped in to trade for Reno Reinhold, @Reno. In their second and last season in the VHLM, the German powerhouse was on a tear in Houston. They have also started well in Saskatoon, but it is possible that the cold has got to them, and we still are to see the best they can do.

Last but not least, the team that started number 1 on everybody's Power Rankings, the Mexico City Kings. Well... were they in trouble early or what? When we expected them to thrive and take care of business, they managed to squander every opportunity. To their credit, they have managed to turn that form around. Now amid the race, we won't see them fight for top seeding in the VHLM, but that 2nd spot in the Western Conference is still there for the taking. The trade? Well, the irony. The Mediocre One, @RElblein, was the player chosen to be the spotlight of the deal. His hot start in Houston, Mediocre, has continued his not-so-mediocre effort to the season in Mexico. Could he be the one helping Mexico reach that elusive Founders' Cup?

It is time to level up. To the VHLE, we go.

We start with our own part-time sellers, full-time winners, Stockholm Vikings. Could this be a sentence trying to compensate for something? Yes, likely. Stockholm started the season with a new General Manager and the 7th spot in our Power Rankings. Where are they now? Fighting for 3rd. This trade for Loki Baker DMD, @Bayley, comes a week after trading Nagy Al to the Gladiators, but Stockholm is always looking for value. Baker DMD has been underwhelming in Geneva, and their start in Stockholm hasn't been the best. But what remains is that the Vikings are a winning team that could be getting better not only for the time being but for next season too!

Now let's talk about riches getting richer. Damn! Well, I can't be too mad. They did what I told them they should do in our first analysis during the last VHLM Illustrated. The Oslo Storm started the season as clear favorites, and their level of play has shown that. Dominating their opponents with an amazingly offensive display, they have been leading the VHLE in scoring since the start of the season. Defensively, they apparently thought they could do something about it. They looked towards the shops in Geneva and left with their plane chiming the excess weight warning sounds. Babushka, @BrutalBoost, and Quinn Clark, @axtron, have already found their place in Oslo, and we can only wait to see what they do in the remainder of the season.

Last but not least, our love affair. It's between Jason, @Jason kranz, and Cologne. Did you know that Eau du Cologne only has a 2-4% fragrance concentration? That would last you for about 2 hours of good smell. Cologne's love for Jason, though? Well, that remained for weeks. Four weeks would be accurate too! Welcome to another episode of word playfulness, and I hope to have not lost you yet. Jason started the season on a losing team. Istanbul was a loser on paper to start the season and turned to losers on the ice as soon as it was time for it. It wasn't long until the offers started pouring to the new GM, Kurt Janser, @Daniel Janser, who inherited a championship-winning depleted squad. Rome and Cologne were fighting for Jason, but only one could take him home, and the Gladiators won that round. The fight didn't end there, and after Rome's season worsened, Cologne approached with an offer for Jason. He can now leave his mark on the VHLE as he stands to graduate to the VHL next season. Could he help the Express find their path in the playoffs?

--

Early VHLM Playoff Predictions

(written by @kirbithan)

Welcome to Prospect Pipeline’s first round playoff preview and predictions! In this article, we will be breaking down the four potential first round playoff series after an incredibly hardfought season in the VHLM. The top three teams are essentially locked into their spots, but the lower 5 could fall anywhere in the standings. Without further ado, these are my predictions for the seeding and first round.

LAS VEGAS ACES (1) VS. PHILADELPHIA REAPERS (8)

This series could end up becoming extremely lopsided with the firepower that the Aces possess and they look primed to three-peat. The Aces’ Antoine Barksdale has produced over 90 points in 60 games, carrying a majority of the offensive load. Meanwhile the Reapers’ duo of Sunglasses Joyo and Care Bear have produced nearly 80 and 70 points respectively. They only have one defenseman and a weaker goaltender on their roster which hurts their chances of taking this series significantly, which will drop them to the 8th seed. That being noted, Las Vegas’ potent offense gives them the advantage in this contest and they should be able to come out on top against a feeble Philadelphia defense. 

(@CrookedAnt, @thecaringbear, @JetsGoalie101)

FINAL PREDICTION: Las Vegas takes the series in 5 games.

OTTAWA LYNX (2) VS. SAN DIEGO MARLINS (7)

Both of these teams took a step in the right direction, as they were the 5th and 9th seed last season. The Lynx won 4 of 5 matchups, vastly outshooting the Marlins in every game. Ottawa’s Sadie St-Louis and Brayden Albrecht have been on a tear with over 75 points each. This high-powered offense could potentially be the thorn in San Diego’s side. Vincent Laroche-Gagnier is the Marlins’ top scorer with over 70 points. Another cornerstone is Sjin, who they acquired from Miami. Since returning to San Diego, Sjin has put up 62 points in 55 games after a measly 3 points in 7 games with the Marauders. Goaltender Lachlan Summers will also have to stand on his head as he has done all season, with a .914 SV % and a 2.57 GAA to his name. Although both of these teams lack defensive depth, Ottawa has the slight advantage with their high-scoring offense. 

(@sadie, @Gage2, @vincentlg2007, @kirbithan, @Mint)

FINAL PREDICTION: Ottawa takes the series in 6 games.

MIAMI MARAUDERS (3) VS. HALIFAX 21ST (6)

The Miami Marauders have made a splash after finishing dead last in the previous season while the Halifax 21st maintain their position in the standings from last season. With the duo of Daryl Dixon and Rick Grimes putting up over 90 points each, they have generated a majority of the Marauders’ offense with great success. Halifax’s leading scorer is Bedirhan Paard, who has scored 74 points in his tenure with the team. They possess quite a few inactive players that will hurt them in this run while Miami has sufficient depth that puts them close to a complete roster. However, the 21st have an advantage in net. Miami’s starting goaltender went IA and leave them no choice but to start Justin Lion. This series could come down to the wire and swing in either team’s favor. 

(@Ricer13, @tinafrombobsburgers, @Emperor_Fun, @Bedirhan)

FINAL PREDICTION: Miami takes the series in 7 games.

MEXICO CITY KINGS (4)  VS. SASKATOON WILD (5)

Mexico City had one of the strongest rosters at the beginning of the season, but experienced an unprecedented fall from grace. Now, with the help of a few recreates, they look to make a deep playoff run and I predict they will finish as the 4th seed. The Kings also traded for The Mediocre One to round out their offense, who leads the league in scoring with an astounding 115 points. Oli McGee carried the Wild offense with 97 points in 61 games and could potentially be a player that turns the tide in this matchup. Another notable player on the Wild is goaltender Alexander Minion who boasts a .923 SV % and a 2.53 GAA. He will have to play exceptionally well against this rejuvenated Mexico squad. As it stands, Mexico City has the edge on paper with Saskatoon’s lack of depth.

(@RElblein, @Oli-La-Poutine, @UnknownMinion)

FINAL PREDICTION: Mexico City takes the series in 6 games.

On behalf of the staff at Prospect Pipeline, good luck to the participants in this year’s Founder Cup playoffs! The Aces look as strong as they did last season, but can anyone dethrone the reigning champs?

--

Who knows what will happen?

(written by @leandrofg)

1. Oslo (= 1st) :osl:

2. Bratislava (= 2nd) :brt:

3. Cologne (= 3rd):col:

4. Stockholm (+ 7th) :sto:

5. Vasteras (= 5th):vas:

6. Rome (= 6th)

7. Geneva (- 4th) :yuk:

8. Istanbul (= 8th)

With 10 games left in the VHLE, we couldn't possibly have this list formed any other way. But let's elaborate differently.

The Contenders. Oslo and Bratislava.

The Pretenders. Cologne, Stockholm, and Vasteras.

The There's-a-spot-left-in-the-playoffs. Geneva and Rome.

The Red Wolves.

It was never expected to see the Red Wolves competing as they did last season. As their championship run ended, we could all see a rebuild was the next step for the team.

The Contenders were known from the beginning of the season. Oslo was built to win this season and could be for the next season, as JB's work is starting to be noticed. As long as John Frostbeard, @FrostBeard, stands at the helm of the Watchmen, they will always be favorites. His work this season shows that winning mentality. With aggressive moves in the draft and Free Agency, he has assembled a winning squad for the season and hopes for the future.

Cologne and Vasteras were pretenders from the beginning, but Stockholm has turned into a dark horse. Could we see the new GM @MubbleFubbles surprising the league? Cologne has been making moves to try and step ahead of the competition, but they have yet to pan out. Could they have taken a page of the Vasteras playbook and stayed calm and faithful to the process?

Geneva and Rome will give us the most pleasant fight for the next 10 games. If you're in, you have a chance. If you're out, you're forgotten. Rome started lower on the rankings and made the moves to be competitive but seems to have pulled out. They are now running with a winning streak. Could that give them the motivation to go after the better-rated Rush?

--

A General Manager Chronicle

(written by @JB123)

Coming into the season, Oslo had several prospects, among them Todd Cooke, Jon Webber Jr, Lorenzo Cobberson, Akio Suzuki and Brodie Landry III, ready to make the jump to the team. The draft was still yet to arrive, which would fill some key holes on the roster. @l1l krzy l9l had valuable input prior to draft night, and has only done more and more for the team as time has gone on, extending into an AGM role.

(@Webberj, @Hendrix Cobberson, @David Cobberson, @Erik, @Brodie_Landry)

As for the draft itself, the likes of John Jameson, Reid Johnson and Henry Tucker Jr were selected; Jameson would give us a proven scorer; Johnson, a top-four defender and promising first gen; and Tucker Jr, he would complete our goaltending duo with Sam Tombstone, one that we had full confidence in. Once the full draft was finished and we had drafted prospects we were excited about, free agency was just around the corner.

(@Frank, @TopTiddee2, @NSG, @samthemancub)

We were glad to extend Cobberson’s brother, David, in addition to inking FAs Gus Bentley, @boatsinking123and Juan Sano III, @denns. Bentley I was already familiar with from when I drafted them in San Diego, and they had valuable cup experience, winning with Bratislava in S83. Sano III had a terrific career in the minors and solidified the team up the middle.

The season overall has had its ups and downs. There have been some win streaks followed by strings of going .500, which led myself and Krzy to bring in defenders Babushka and Quinn Clark from Geneva, who have given us more options to work with. Even through this season’s losses, it looks like Oslo has finally recovered from its rebuild. Not only has this season been an improvement over the past few here, but it has been an extremely enjoyable one with a great group of people in the locker room. It should be interesting to see how things play out down the stretch, to say the least. 

M Power Rankings appear to be missed so I am posting M Power rankings for your viewing pleasure.

1. LVA +1 (Clinched)

2. MIA -1 (Clinched)

3. OTT = (Clinched)

4. MEX +5 (Clinched)

5. HFX +2 (Clinched)

6. PHI -1 (Clinched)

7. SSK -3

8. SDM =

9. HOU -3

10. MIS = (Eliminated from playoff contention)

The draft was still yet to arrive, which would fill some key holes on the roster. @l1l krzy l9l had valuable input prior to draft night, and has only done more and more for the team as time has gone on, extending into an AGM role.

best decision I could’ve made this season @JB123 thanks for the opportunity to be AGM of this team. Couldn’t have asked for a better guy to learn from or a better locker room to be a part of 

12 minutes ago, DarkSpyro said:

@kirbithanyou’re sooooo kind bro!! Amazing piece~ and tysm for the props 🤘🏻🔥🔥🔥🥲

Anytime, dude!! Super glad you liked it! Thank you again for being a great interviewee. 😄