VHL MOD Team Hiring (Open Inventory)

Baozi

• Head Moderator

Hello VHL,

The VHL Mod team will be introducing several openings to assist in the moderation of both the forum and discord.

Pay: 6 TPE Weekly Capped

The ideal individual should posses the following traits:

1) Online availability throughout the day to be checking into the forums and discord and respond to staff pings promptly. (Please note in application your most active hours) and how often you are on forums/discord.

2) Be able to respond to discord pings and be verified via 2fa.

3) Older than 20 years (or demonstration of maturity and judgement) 

4) Not hold other league jobs or associations (GMing) that may pose a conflict of interest (exceptions apply) 

Additional things you may add for consideration:

- Availability of hours between the times of 1am and 9am MST wanted.

- Moderation experience and ability 

- Human resource experience and/or sensitivity classes/training taken

- Any additional reasons why you would be make an appropriate mod.

- Ability to deal with difficult situations (how do you deal with conflicts as avoidance is not an answer in our case)

Please keep the thread to applications only, unrelated posts will be deleted. If you believe you fall under certain exceptions to certain stipulations here, you are encouraged to apply, however you will need to include reasoning as to why this stipulation will not impede your duties.

Given the nature and seriousness of this position, I will not be accepting submissions of the nature of "You know who I am". For full transparency, you must address the traits and additional considerations.

Questions and Answers:

Good lord you're asking for moderators to make this a full time job. A tad unrealistic for someone like me who can't be around for eight hours a day just to moderate a forum and a Discord. 

This job is not glamorous nor is it easy, it is for those that have the time and ability to put in the effort that is required and are willing to make the sacrifice to make this community an inclusive and safe space for everyone.

I read it as: you're not working or sleeping for 8 hours, during which you would be available to intervene if something happens and you're tagged.

Not as: you need to meticulously read through every post on the forum and Discord for 8 hours.

You are not expected to read every single forum/chat post.

You are expected to be able to monitor reasonably during these times. (ie having a second monitor open with the chat function, looking in every so often during reasonable time period, look through new posts within reason).

People can do that without turning into a machine and having to watch for inappropriate actions for eight hours a day. Instead of looking like that, it would be easier to say 'willing to moderate when present'. You're not going to run into a lot of good candidates if you're looking for someone who's constantly around; sure it's not glamorous or easy, but it's certainly not a job nor worth 2 TPE based on your expectations. 

Personally a better route (in my honest opinion) would be to offer moderation to those who are trusted and see if they accept, then I'd make a post about hiring more if the occasion arises that they are needed. Some people are on at different times, different availability, and you've practically alienated anyone who is working through COVID. It's more about coverage and not duration.

Thank you for your questions. You are right, I am looking for basically incredibly high expectations to start. If a lack of candidates should be proposed, I will consider those that may only fulfill certain stipulations. If you feel you fit all other requirements aside from the hours available, I encourage you to apply in the case I move to alternative requirements postings if a lack of fit candidates are presented.

Edited by Baozi

I'd like to apply. I enjoy moderating and it has certainly helped having a current moderator in sam as my AGM teaching me little ins and outs and letting me pick her brain about mod work.

I can't say I've had any huge mod gigs apart from smaller discord servers but we all gotta start somewhere.

As far as hours, I can't say I can dedicate 8 hours daily to it but I log on pretty frequently and I am available sometimes from 1-9 MST, having a 5am practice means I like to get some of my GM work done during that time

I do hold another site job which may be a conflict of interest which is reasonable, but I think the league has seen a fair number of successful GM/Mod members. Also, I quite literally have the worst troublemaker on the site playing for my team this season, and I've managed to help him avoid a perm ban (for now at least) which has to count for something

As far as communication experience, I’m a certified personal trainer, communicating effectively with people is half the job

Good luck to everyone applying!

EDIT: I'm also in my 20s so there's that

Edited by ShawnGlade

I'll also apply, I feel this role is one I could thrive in. Generally speaking, I look to de-escalate tense situations and make peace rather than fueling an argument. I seek to help others and solve problems, which could benefit me as a moderator. 

I'm on the forums and discord regularly, my most active hours being from about 6-8 AM and 3-11 PM EST most days. I am able to check in multiple times during the day too, but am steadily online during these hours for at least five days of the week, including weekends when I have more free time. Days when I'm not, I can manage a similar amount of hours to be online, although they're not as constant. I did just get a new job so I cannot promise I'll be online all the time, but when I am I will make up for it and give the role my all. 

I do my best to reply to pings as soon as I see them, and have 2FA enabled. I am 16 turning 17 in January, however I think I could perform well as a moderator because I strongly weigh my options prior to making a decision. I am very willing to learn and improve if selected for this role, too. 

While I do hold a GM position I do not believe it would be a problem; if there were any issues pertaining to Oslo I would not treat the situation any different. I try to be objective no matter what and do the right thing. 

I have experience with sensitivity training because of sports, and I'm currently taking a course that deals a lot with psychology.

Overall I would look for a fair and reasonable resolution to conflicts in line with what the members of the mod team think. 

Thanks for your consideration and good luck to all! 

I'd like to apply!

I have always been interested in this role and I think I could be a really good fit. From a young age I have always been the situation defuser and problem solver. I love helping people and making sure they feel safe and welcome, I feel I can do that as a moderator and some!

I am very active on discord throughout the day, I would say my most active hours are 11am - 11pm(PST) sometimes later it depends how I feel, I have way too much time on my hands but I'm completely willing to put in that extra time I have into moderating and making sure this discord/forum is safe and fun for everyone.

I can respond to discord pings fairly quick depending if I am at my PC or not. I am 2fa verified.

I am 17 almost 18, my birthday is in less than a month. I feel I can be very mature and completely able to act above my age. I grew up in a family with divorced parents and with a mother who has health issues so I was basically brought up and had to do a lot of stuff a young child wouldn't do, so I have learnt how to act older.

I do hold 2 league jobs: Recruitment team and Interim VHLM GM. I do plan on getting a full-time GM job this off-season and I have taken a step back to part-time in the recruitment team. I feel I have no conflict of interest with these 2 jobs. It may seem like I'm taking on lots with applying to become mod but with me being only "Part-time" on the recruitment team I feel I can prioritize the moderation job and still be a recruitment team member on the side.

I don't really have experience moderating, besides a little in the Pro-am discord but I wouldn't call that moderating. I feel I do have the ability and drive to be a moderator.

I feel I can deal with difficult situations and figure out solutions/defuse the situation without avoidance.

Thanks and good luck to all!

I am making a genuine application, I have spent over three and a half years and it is finally time I change my reputation around here. Over this time I have been punished, called a troll and I have been a nuisance to the VHL. I am willing to become a mod and able to take steps into improving myself, which will ultimately improve the league. I know my leash is tight, but sometimes you need to take off the collar to let that dog loose. And instead of going loose as I have previously, I will instead run loose on the evil going on in the VHL. It is my goal to make this league a better place for every single member, person, father, mother and family member who enters it. My availability is pretty well spread out. I have shown myself to be fairly active at nearly all times of the day. 1-9AM PST is not a perfect time zone for my activity, however I am sometimes available around 1-2AM PST and 6-9AM PST. I have been well known to quickly respond to DM's and pings, I have the notifications set on my phone and usually have discord open to hear any pings when I'm on my laptop. With these things combined, my activity levels should be well sufficient for a VHL moderator job. I am there very often, as well as a face the community knows and trusts to be there to help them. 

While I do not reach the 20 years old age preference, I believe that I have showed maturity across my three years in the VHL. It is not always present, but it has been there and I will be continuing on with this maturity should I be blessed with the mod job, or should I not be blessed with it. Maturity is something which not only benefits me, but everyone in the league in which I interact with.  I believe with my level of maturity I will be able to sit down with the wrong doers of our league and figure out what can be done to not only improve the situation towards the league, but towards them. I want everyone to feel welcome here, while also making sure everyone is free. The VHL is one of my top priorities.

I do not currently hold any jobs in the VHL nor do I plan on holding any in the future that could possibly conflict with my ability to be apart of the mod team. I do see my future in the VHL as somebody the people can look up to and take inspiration from as somebody who turned themselves around from a path of dark and despair to one of a lighter road. I believe in rehabilitation for everyone, while punishments still necessary. It is my goal to improve the VHL, whether I'm a mod or not. Each member should strive for not only a better version of themselves every day, but a better league. 

I thank everyone for reading my application, taking me into consideration, and I thank you for making the VHL a better place.

Hogan

Edited by Hogan

• 2 weeks later...

I am applying for this position.

I am a committed, active individual who can easily fulfil the hours required due to being located in the Middle East.

I feel that I bring a combination of authority, compassion, and desire to improve the atmosphere of the VHL community.

Please consider my application seriously and I am happy to address any questions via PM.

• Baozi pinned this topic

Alright I’ll throw an application out it’s never too late and moon encouraged me to

My main hours are really from when I wake up to when I go to sleep, I check discord and the forums frequently throughout the day and am able too because nothing really requires me to get away from tech for to long.

As noted above I’m around quite a bit throughout the day so gettin back to pings in a short amount of time shouldn’t be a problem. Verification shouldn’t be an issue either.

Unfortunately like a lot of the other applicants I’m on the younger side sitting currently at 17 years old. I’ve been in this league for a little over 2 years now and believe my behavior and maturing has improved not that it was really an issue to begin with. All irl jobs I’ve had I’ve left on my own account just cause I had to but I’ve never had a terrible departure and would likely be accepted back to any of those jobs again. Though that last sentence seems unrelated I thought it’d be a good way to show some workplace professionalism I have. 

I hold a couple of league jobs already (GM, Triv, and Recruitment) but I thought hey I may as well apply because it’s better than not applying.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:55 PM, Hogan said:

I am making a genuine application, I have spent over three and a half years and it is finally time I change my reputation around here. Over this time I have been punished, called a troll and I have been a nuisance to the VHL. I am willing to become a mod and able to take steps into improving myself, which will ultimately improve the league. I know my leash is tight, but sometimes you need to take off the collar to let that dog loose. And instead of going loose as I have previously, I will instead run loose on the evil going on in the VHL. It is my goal to make this league a better place for every single member, person, father, mother and family member who enters it. My availability is pretty well spread out. I have shown myself to be fairly active at nearly all times of the day. 1-9AM PST is not a perfect time zone for my activity, however I am sometimes available around 1-2AM PST and 6-9AM PST. I have been well known to quickly respond to DM's and pings, I have the notifications set on my phone and usually have discord open to hear any pings when I'm on my laptop. With these things combined, my activity levels should be well sufficient for a VHL moderator job. I am there very often, as well as a face the community knows and trusts to be there to help them. 

While I do not reach the 20 years old age preference, I believe that I have showed maturity across my three years in the VHL. It is not always present, but it has been there and I will be continuing on with this maturity should I be blessed with the mod job, or should I not be blessed with it. Maturity is something which not only benefits me, but everyone in the league in which I interact with.  I believe with my level of maturity I will be able to sit down with the wrong doers of our league and figure out what can be done to not only improve the situation towards the league, but towards them. I want everyone to feel welcome here, while also making sure everyone is free. The VHL is one of my top priorities.

I do not currently hold any jobs in the VHL nor do I plan on holding any in the future that could possibly conflict with my ability to be apart of the mod team. I do see my future in the VHL as somebody the people can look up to and take inspiration from as somebody who turned themselves around from a path of dark and despair to one of a lighter road. I believe in rehabilitation for everyone, while punishments still necessary. It is my goal to improve the VHL, whether I'm a mod or not. Each member should strive for not only a better version of themselves every day, but a better league. 

I thank everyone for reading my application, taking me into consideration, and I thank you for making the VHL a better place.

Hogan

i asked discord when was a good time to recreate and Hogan said don't, he hasnt changed and never will. *mic drop*

also this is a joke for legal reasons

Applying! 

I know I'm still relatively new to the VHL but I think I've found my way around the forum and discord server pretty easily. I am EST and while I do have a 9-5 job, I do have the occasional work from home day and I am usually able to check in during work hours so I would be able to pop in and take quick looks at things. My mornings (8am - 9am) as well as my evenings (after 6pm) I'm usually glued to my phone and checking in on discord always already. My weekends I am also pretty open. I have discord notifications on as well as forum notifications on my cell. 

I am currently an AGM but hold no other job and have only previous had one other job as a JST GM.

I am 33 which I hear makes me almost ancient around here so I'm definitely on the more mature end for this job. 

I have no moderator experience but I have previously dealt with conflict in a discord server that I own that resulted in a three strike system and a ban. 

Thanks for your consideration. 

• Baozi changed the title to VHL MOD Team Hiring (Open Inventory)
  • Head Moderator

Mod team is proud to announce @JB123has passed the process and joined the team.

Other candidates are still under consideration as this will go be an ongoing process in the future and all relevant applicants will be kept in open inventory.

• 3 months later...

Applied

I can’t meet the MST requirements however I do believe I can rise to meet the rest of the requirements, I’m often online the discord check the forums when ever I can. I always responded to pings and have 2FA already. I’m also returning to my previous activity levels and always have the ability to have two monitors open so the forum can always be open!

I’m not 20 yet only 17, However I’m a master warrant( Company Sargent major) with in cadets that provide training in how to work with teams and teenagers, calm problems, and work with people. I have a few more role with that rank, head of male cadets, head of expedition, and Sc/Pc. I also was a shift leader at Tim’s for two months .Oh I’m also an ex-Chief operations officer, in a public Bitlife server, with 5000+ members , I held that position for a year and a former moderator in Ontario roleplay 2000+ members for ER:LC Roblox game.

I’ve also been a Supervisor of the front end of a sobeys from April 2023, and have ran the front end Solo most shifts, (so 6+ people a night I’m in charge of) plus dealing with conflict with the customers, handling problems commonly and safely, I’m going for my Customer Service management training in the spring. 

Hiring me would help the VHL moderation team due to my ability, experience and skills, and I’m always ready to learn anything I don’t yet know!

Thank  you

Edited by UnknownMinion
Updated

On 10/27/2022 at 1:10 AM, N0HBDY said:

Alright I’ll throw an application out it’s never too late and moon encouraged me to

My main hours are really from when I wake up to when I go to sleep, I check discord and the forums frequently throughout the day and am able too because nothing really requires me to get away from tech for to long.

As noted above I’m around quite a bit throughout the day so gettin back to pings in a short amount of time shouldn’t be a problem. Verification shouldn’t be an issue either.

Unfortunately like a lot of the other applicants I’m on the younger side sitting currently at 17 years old. I’ve been in this league for a little over 2 years now and believe my behavior and maturing has improved not that it was really an issue to begin with. All irl jobs I’ve had I’ve left on my own account just cause I had to but I’ve never had a terrible departure and would likely be accepted back to any of those jobs again. Though that last sentence seems unrelated I thought it’d be a good way to show some workplace professionalism I have. 

I hold a couple of league jobs already (GM, Triv, and Recruitment) but I thought hey I may as well apply because it’s better than not applying.

Does this count as repost?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The ideal individual should posses the following traits:

1) Online availability throughout the day to be checking into the forums and discord and respond to staff pings promptly. (Please note in application your most active hours) and how often you are on forums/discord.

My availability is from 7am to 11 pm MST. I response fairly quickly to any pings throughout the day and my activity on both of the discord and forum are quite high.

2) Be able to respond to discord pings and be verified via 2fa.

Responding to pings is no issue. I am often very quick to respond throughout the hours posted above. Being verified is no issue.

3) Older than 20 years (or demonstration of maturity and judgement) 

I am 34 years old. For the most part I am mature and have good judgment but am by no means a perfect person.

4) Not hold other league jobs or associations (GMing) that may pose a conflict of interest (exceptions apply) 

I do hold a couple jobs in the league but would likely step back from one of them if given this opportunity. They wouldn’t affect my attentiveness to this job regardless.

Additional things you may add for consideration:

-Can be on as late as 2 am on weekends but that’s as late as I can be on. 
-I care about the well being of this league and the safety of the people in it. I do not have previous moderation experience but am eager to learn. 

Any other questions for me please let me know.

Edited by Ricer13

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...