Moderator Complaint

Ricer13

I am filing a formal complaint against @Diland the moderator team. I expect nothing to be done with this but am posting just to have it out in the public as shared information.

Today the league was put on notice for trivia channels being created and answers being shared amongst their teams. I personally was reached out to by Dil and he said I had been reported for having a trivia channel with answers in that channel. He asked if I could delete said channel and I responded with a GIF of Bugs Bunny saying “No”. Clearly, the GIF if commonly used in a joking manner but Dil did not take it in that way and said “Hm?” 

Side note: Dil also dropped a message in the VHL GM Corner and other GMs also responses JOKINGLY with a GIF that said “No.”

Not soon after I have players saying Dil is asking them to screen shot our discord locker room to find evidence of this trivia channel. I personally think this is unethical and can cause issues amongst a team and members that aren’t warranted. Dil could have simply asked to come into our locker room, which he never did and I would have given him access to everything to look around. 

I don’t think anyone needs to get in trouble or punished. I just want communication to be much clearer especially when dealing with issues like this. I don’t want to feel like the mod team is going behind my back when they didn’t really put in enough effort dealing directly with me. I’m not totally innocent as joking about it may not have been the best approach and was clearly misinterpreted. 

Okay now go ahead and rip me apart.

1 minute ago, Ricer13 said:

Dil could have simply asked to come into our locker room, which he never did and I would have given him access to everything to look around. 

Yes in theory, not saying you would do this but being the owner, you can hide what channels he does and doesn't see. So, asking someone on your team is guaranteed to show what your players see.

2 minutes ago, samx said:

Yes in theory, not saying you would do this but being the owner, you can hide what channels he does and doesn't see. So, asking someone on your team is guaranteed to show what your players see.

You’re not wrong but that’s not the type of person I am. I for sure had trivia channels and there were answers throughout the chat from discussions. It’s since been deleted and a new channel has been made strictly for helping find answers. I’d also have no issue transferring ownership to prove my point. 

23 minutes ago, samx said:

I am a noob on discord. If he was given the same role as all the players he should have access to the same channels, right?

44 minutes ago, tinafrombobsburgers said:

Parts of this league will always be broken 🤷🏻‍♂️ anyone want trivia answers I got you ;)

You realize that answer sharing will get you punished right? Feel free to help people if they need it, just point them in the right direction instead of handing out the answers.

...how on Earth did we go from answer sharing being banned, then EXPLICITLY ALLOWED AGAIN, to this again, without notice and without anyone agreeing to it? Yeah, the trivia channel in the league server has always had its own set of rules, but let's not pretend like those rules have always extended outside of it.

Moreover, WHY IS IT SUDDENLY A MOD ISSUE? I'd like to see what sort of "punishment" exists for sharing answers. Can't wait to be punished as if I just said something racist on the forum because I told someone what an answer was instead of linking them to something that states the answer just as directly.

CONTEXT that led to the ban from 2 years ago being almost immediately revoked--I can't find the original post or the revision for some odd reason... 🧐

If anyone does find the original post, you'll actually find that I was initially in favor of banning answer sharing, despite being responsible for a very substantial portion of the league's trivia TPE at the time. I like to think I can admit it when someone has changed my mind, and I'll also say that my mind mostly changed later on for a lot of the reasons that @Victor mentioned in that linked post. 

And honestly, the fact that we've got people in here who have mod powers and are more or less mocking this post says a lot. Disagree with it if you want, but at least do it respectfully and provide reasoning for said disagreement. I don't think the point Sam made about hiding channels from mods or whatever does enough to justify the way this was handled (or even the fact that it's seen as something that needs to be handled in the first place), but at least it's a response and not a cool pickle GIF.

4 hours ago, Ricer13 said:

I don’t think anyone needs to get in trouble or punished. I just want communication to be much clearer especially when dealing with issues like this. I don’t want to feel like the mod team is going behind my back when they didn’t really put in enough effort dealing directly with me.

I'd find the irony of this combined with the rest of the thread funny if it didn't also concern something I tend to feel more strongly than others about in this league.

So yeah. I'm sure this will get laughed at as a "hands off muh freedom"-type post, but I really think it's a fair one to make. We're taking something that we never actually banned, turning it into a CoC issue, going behind someone's back to gather evidence that a rule that was never publicly extended outside the league server is now being broken outside the league server, and not taking what's ultimately a fair response to that seriously.

1 hour ago, tinafrombobsburgers said:

Parts of this league will always be broken 🤷🏻‍♂️ anyone want trivia answers I got you ;)

😏

• Commissioner
43 minutes ago, Gustav said:

...how on Earth did we go from answer sharing being banned, then EXPLICITLY ALLOWED AGAIN, to this again, without notice and without anyone agreeing to it? Yeah, the trivia channel in the league server has always had its own set of rules, but let's not pretend like those rules have always extended outside of it.

Moreover, WHY IS IT SUDDENLY A MOD ISSUE? I'd like to see what sort of "punishment" exists for sharing answers. Can't wait to be punished as if I just said something racist on the forum because I told someone what an answer was instead of linking them to something that states the answer just as directly.

CONTEXT that led to the ban from 2 years ago being almost immediately revoked--I can't find the original post or the revision for some odd reason... 🧐

If anyone does find the original post, you'll actually find that I was initially in favor of banning answer sharing, despite being responsible for a very substantial portion of the league's trivia TPE at the time. I like to think I can admit it when someone has changed my mind, and I'll also say that my mind mostly changed later on for a lot of the reasons that @Victor mentioned in that linked post. 

And honestly, the fact that we've got people in here who have mod powers and are more or less mocking this post says a lot. Disagree with it if you want, but at least do it respectfully and provide reasoning for said disagreement. I don't think the point Sam made about hiding channels from mods or whatever does enough to justify the way this was handled (or even the fact that it's seen as something that needs to be handled in the first place), but at least it's a response and not a cool pickle GIF.

I'd find the irony of this combined with the rest of the thread funny if it didn't also concern something I tend to feel more strongly than others about in this league.

So yeah. I'm sure this will get laughed at as a "hands off muh freedom"-type post, but I really think it's a fair one to make. We're taking something that we never actually banned, turning it into a CoC issue, going behind someone's back to gather evidence that a rule that was never publicly extended outside the league server is now being broken outside the league server, and not taking what's ultimately a fair response to that seriously.

😏

While I never expressly asked for this crackdown (there is a glitch at least one person was exploiting which SHOULD be cracked down on but that’s different) I will say that I could have sworn we re-outlawed it when we changed the trivia to the portal. Looking through the announcements and the rules though it appears we didn’t, it was just implied by the fact that questions get randomized. I still think the questions are reasonable enough that people shouldn’t need someone else to tell them what to pick but that’s beyond the point.

As for why this was a “mod issue” … I present two things:

1. The CoC specifically mentions cheating which if this is interpreted as such it would cover. Therefore that falls under mod jurisdiction.

2. The aforementioned glitch is more of a dev thing which I think is where this all started, thus @Dil’s involvement at all.

I do wish we would have been consulted before any kind of crackdown since there’s obviously a discussion to be had but that didn’t happen. I’m not sure exactly what evidence is present and perhaps it indicates something more than just a pool of answers but I’m uncertain. That’s not necessarily Dil’s fault, I just didn’t know anything was going on aside from the aforementioned glitch abuse.

28 minutes ago, Beketov said:

While I never expressly asked for this crackdown (there is a glitch at least one person was exploiting which SHOULD be cracked down on but that’s different) I will say that I could have sworn we re-outlawed it when we changed the trivia to the portal. Looking through the announcements and the rules though it appears we didn’t, it was just implied by the fact that questions get randomized. I still think the questions are reasonable enough that people shouldn’t need someone else to tell them what to pick but that’s beyond the point.

As for why this was a “mod issue” … I present two things:

1. The CoC specifically mentions cheating which if this is interpreted as such it would cover. Therefore that falls under mod jurisdiction.

2. The aforementioned glitch is more of a dev thing which I think is where this all started, thus @Dil’s involvement at all.

I do wish we would have been consulted before any kind of crackdown since there’s obviously a discussion to be had but that didn’t happen. I’m not sure exactly what evidence is present and perhaps it indicates something more than just a pool of answers but I’m uncertain. That’s not necessarily Dil’s fault, I just didn’t know anything was going on aside from the aforementioned glitch abuse.

rules only matter to you when someone you don't like breaks them lmfao