Enforcer Tribute Part 2

Scurvy

Well, here is part two of my tough guy tribute.  I find its time to cover some of the remaining tough guys in the VHL and a look to some newcomers coming from the E and M.  Last time we covered heavy hitters and PIM leaders Vinny Detroit, Baxter Arcanum, Jared Carter the 2st, Jake Thunder, and Hard Markinson. 

TAVISH DEGROOT:   

DeGroot has shown year after year that he plays a nasty game.  Ever since being a hightly touted rookie in the VHLM he plays a tough defensive defenseman game.  He finished the S85 campaign 3rd in overall PIMs with 183 while still adding 19 goals 49 assists and 68 points.  He notched 227 hits and 137 blocked shots.  He has continued his violent ways in the playoffs and is currently the PIM Leader with 42.

MIROSLAV TSAROV: 

Another name that took us by surprise is Prague’s monster defenseman Tsarov.  At 608 250 he is a massive pain for opposing forwards.  Formerly an offensive beast with Malmo he has taken a new role in Prague and had 181 PIMS and 237 hits this season, both career high marks.  Entering his 5th season it will be interesting to see if this trend continues.  Either way, he will be a problem for teams in the future. 

DARON NESBITT:

A season 83 drafti pick and another massive defenseman he has hit the VHL by force, literally.  The Helsinki Dman notched 172 PIMS and 232 hits and an amazing 222 blocked shots.  Nesbitt can play too tallying 9 goals and 33 assists.  As Helsinki re-builds look for Nesbitt to play a huge part.  

Saku Kotkakoivu:

Ok so Saku is not in the top 10 in PIMS and is on this list.  Let me tell you why.  294 x 2!  Saku has totals of 294 hits for two seasons in a row which is impressive.  BUT!  He also notched 40 goals this year as well to go with 118 PIM.  However willing Saku is to fight the way he plays it makes way more sense to keep him on the ice punishing opposing players and lighting the lamp.  With 85 TPE in checking I am excited to see his numbers next year.  

BRIAN PAYNE:

OK so Payne is me and I hate talking about myself but I need a few more words for 500!!! .  Payne has led the league in PIMS two season in a row with 246 PIM this year and 210 PIM last year.  Enough about Payne.

Now let’s chat about some potential up and comers in the VHLE who might step into an enforcer role next season or beyond:

JEFF BUFFY -GENEVA

Jeff is another hulking defenseman who consistently plays a tough game.   With PIM totals of 238, 252, and 157 in the last three seasons and averaging about 300 hits a season he is nasty.  Drafted by Prague with the 43rd overall spot in S82

image.jpeg.3229b43d342ebdd4f90f57f025af9f20.jpeg

CHARLES WILLIAMS- ISTANBUL

Ok…Williams stepped up this year on a struggling club and produced some pretty great numbers.  31 goals 27 assists, 149 PIM and a whopping 324 hits.  Drafted by Malmo where other tough players like Mo Probert and Jared Carter the 2st can mentor him into a legit enforcer if he chooses to get to VHL soon.  At 306 TPE he might take another season in the E to polish up his knuckles.  

Review:

Good article on an underplayed but important role in the league. Enforcers play a big role by opening up space for those scoring superstars. It is a good list of some of the main enforcers in the league currently. One thing I would add to the article is maybe since this is "part 2", add a link to "part 1" so that readers, if they missed it, can go back and look at the first list. Was a good breakdown of players and their stats! 8/10