Records you'll never break: A look at the greats of history and the trends of the league.

ctots

The league has changed a lot over the years, and those changes are reflected in the record books. (Thanks, diligent record keepers of the VHL!) This article will explore some player season records, their owners, and a couple of other thoughts. Let's dig in.

Goals

This is simply an unbreakable record. Scotty Campbell stands alone head and shoulders above competition from all generations. In season 5, this legend of the game scored an amazing 89 goals. The majority of contenders for this record appeared in much earlier seasons, but a period in the 50s-60s produced a few high scoring players as well. In modern times, the most recent player to take a run at the record was Justin Lose in Season 81, who fell short of the record by 14 goals.

Basically the same situation as Goals. I won't harp on it too much, Scotty Campbell is a well-known name by anyone who has ever claimed trivia TPE. I will say that the record of 190 points was set in season 5, and the last time anyone cracked the top 25 was in Season 62, when Podrick Cast tied the runner-up to the record with a total of 174 points. Close, but not really - a difference of 16 points is honestly staggering.

Plus/Minus

A different name on the record this time: Alex McNeil, also a season 5 record. Coincidence? Absolutely not. McNeil played for Seattle with Campbell that season. That team just scored an obscene amount of goals. This record might be even more secure than the first two, if that's possible: a +/- of 131 is entirely unreachable in today's game. No player has broken into the top 25 in the last 30 seasons. Tobias Klingberg in Season 54 posted a very impressive +/- of 100, but that number would only earn him 20th best of all time.

Shots Blocked

Now for something slightly different: a modern record that is absurd. In Season 82, creed blocked a record 460 shots. That number exceeded the previous record by 135 shots. The old record was set by Tyler Owens all the way back in season 37. Shot blocks seem to be trending upward in the league in general as time progresses, but the stat of shots blocked is reliant on a lot more factors than just a single player: ideally, a defenseman with high defense would be playing with terrible teammates.

Modern challengers to the record have fallen well short, despite being top-25 quality seasons. For example, Ryan Vidot secured the 6th position on the Shots Blocked leaderboard in Season 82 with a total of 283. That's an incredible number of blocked shots, but creed blocked fully SIXTY-TWO PERCENT more shots. 177 more shots.

This has been a look at the VHL records that are going to likely stand forever. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. Is it cool that there are records that are literally untouchable in our league? Is it something that people even think about at all? Sound off in the comments with your opinions on season stat records, if you feel like it.

Edited by ctots
formatting

11 hours ago, ctots said:

Is it cool that there are records that are literally untouchable in our league?

It's probably fine. But we should cancel someone for it, just to be safe. 🤔

• Commissioner

If you wanna see even crazier records from Scotty look at the career ones. No other player has managed to hit 450 goals, meanwhile Scotty has 600. Same with points, no one else has hit 1000 and Scotty has over 1200. His records are beyond untouchable 

17 minutes ago, Beketov said:

If you wanna see even crazier records from Scotty look at the career ones. No other player has managed to hit 450 goals, meanwhile Scotty has 600. Same with points, no one else has hit 1000 and Scotty has over 1200. His records are beyond untouchable 

I started out with the intention of making this article about career stats, but there was no hope whatsoever to be found there. Scotty reigns supreme.

• Commissioner
56 minutes ago, ctots said:

I started out with the intention of making this article about career stats, but there was no hope whatsoever to be found there. Scotty reigns supreme.

Funnily enough the hits record was just beaten last season I believe. So some are touchable, just nothing Scotty holds haha

33 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Funnily enough the hits record was just beaten last season I believe. So some are touchable, just nothing Scotty holds haha

I mean Scotty could not hit to save his life. He only had 191 hits in 577 career games, i.e. one hit every three games. In the playoffs he was a bit tougher though, with around a hit per game

5 hours ago, ctots said:

I started out with the intention of making this article about career stats, but there was no hope whatsoever to be found there.

Well, the hope could perhaps be found in 9-season careers now, vs. the 8 (sans Sterling Labatte) of the olden days.

Perhaps one of my future players will gun for creed's record. I'll duplicate Poopy Peepants but insist on being on the worst, emptiest rosters in the league every season.

17 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

Well, the hope could perhaps be found in 9-season careers now, vs. the 8 (sans Sterling Labatte) of the olden days.

Perhaps one of my future players will gun for creed's record. I'll duplicate Poopy Peepants but insist on being on the worst, emptiest rosters in the league every season.

or the infamous Tanky, maybe (purely from a build perspective)?

Tanky (vhlportal.com)