Minor Rule Updates - Follow-Up to Portal Waivers and S85

Gustav

Hello all!

You've seen me hinting that some things may be on the way as a result of the waiver system changing. and here's part of it. Getting straight to the point:

2.2. Playoffs Lines

• To incentivize general managers into actively making offers to newly created players, they won't be allowed to double-shift players within the top three lines during the playoffs. In other words, the top three lines should contain 9 different forwards and 6 different defensemen. 3 forwards and 2 defensemen will be allowed to double-shift on the 4th line.
  • Teams that don't have enough players to fill their lines according to these rules will be required to use bots.
  • There is no restriction for special teams and extra lines, only for even strength forward lines and defensive pairs.
  • There are no restrictions regarding lines and double-shifting during the regular season.

The above rule has been eliminated, effective immediately. Given that there is no reason to incentivize offers, as all offers are now given automatically, we see no reason to restrict what GMs can and cannot do with their lines based on any incentive.

On to a separate point...

Last season, a question was raised to us regarding the placement of players within the lines of a team, wherein a team was found to be playing forwards on defense when other teams were under the impression that this was not allowed. As certain teams had been managed in a way that put them at a disadvantage as a result of this perception, we chose to outlaw the use of players out of position for the remainder of S85 so that all teams could play under the same conditions.

After further discussion, we have agreed that teams should be allowed to use players as they wish, under certain conditions, as the mid-season "every team should face the same conditions" factor is no longer a factor.

As a result, Rule 2.2 will now become:

2.2 Use of Players Within Lineup

• Forwards may be played on defense, and defenders may be played at forward positions, if this is necessary for GMs to complete a full lineup or to maximize ice time for active players.
  • This may only be done with permission of the player or players involved. Use of a player out of position without consent of that player will be considered a violation of the VHLM Prime Directive.

@VHLM GM

@VHLM Commissioner

For the most part I completely agree with both these changes as it will increase player experience in the M and allow players to have the most minutes possible and make them more likely to succeed. However, one thing that the latter of the 2 rule changes could over complicate is the VHLM awards as a defensemen playing forward will likely score more points than other defensemen, making them a front runner for the top defensemen award without actually being a “defensemen”, and the same can be said for the top two-way forward award.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

For the most part I completely agree with both these changes as it will increase player experience in the M and allow players to have the most minutes possible and make them more likely to succeed. However, one thing that the latter of the 2 rule changes could over complicate is the VHLM awards as a defensemen playing forward will likely score more points than other defensemen, making them a front runner for the top defensemen award without actually being a “defensemen”, and the same can be said for the top two-way forward award.

On the other hand, those players will have fewer SB at forward and fewer points on D. It's a trade-off (plus there's some disadvantage handed out by STHS when playing out of position in that way, so I don't anticipate that putting someone above everyone else).

If that situation ever does come up, I like to think the difference in (namely) SB would be enough for people to take a second look at how that player was used in the lines, so as long as we can understand the differences enough to react when things are way off, I think we'll be OK.