2022 Charity Suggestions

Beketov

• Commissioner

Hello @Members!

As crazy as it seems the holiday season is nearly upon us which for the VHL means our annual charity drive!

For those who haven’t been around, a quick recap: Every December in addition to Christmas festivities we hold a charity donation drive to help out communities beyond our own. This will be our fourth year doing the charity drive with previous drives donating thousands to the Make a Wish Foundation, Food Banks of Canada / Feed America, and the Red Cross.

So why am I posting about this in early November? Because we want to involve you all in helping decide the charity for this year. As always you’ll be able to donate to any charity you wish and have it count but the league matching donation and any donated through us will go to the charity that’s chosen.

In an ideal world that charity fits a couple of criteria so if you can try to keep them in mind for your suggestions that would be great:

1. Should be something that accepts PayPal donations since all league funds run through that.

2. Should be something with a wide reach and ideally international or at least having Canadian / American equivalents we can split donations between.

3. Nothing political or divisive.

So let’s see what you can come up with! Feel free to also discuss your favourites in here if someone suggests something you feel strong about but try to keep it as on topic as possible. Here’s to the start of another VHL holiday season! :cheers:

I would like to see the sick kids foundation, they save so many kids per year, and saved my sister 14 years ago, this one hold a special place for me and working together with the VHL to bring money to them would be amazing 

23 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

Give me one moment while I find a good charity that helps the vision impaired, so we can finally get @Arce the help he needs. Or maybe someone else already knows of one?

I mean, I do accept paypal. 😏

On a serious note, I’d love to see this go to the Children’s Cancer Foundation. Cancer has affected many of all ages, and does not discriminate. However, it is especially devastating this happens to children so young, and that they have to spend their lives or even part of it in the hospital, and in pain. Anything to help research for future effective treatments, and even cures for cancers I will always support.

• Commissioner
9 minutes ago, DarkSpyro said:

I’m down to donate my hair to sick kids if we reach a certain community goal 👌🏻 

We’ll make sure to add it as a stretch goal :)

I am a fan of The Trevor Project but they are only in the US. Unsure if there is a Canadian equivalent, but supporting and protecting LGB+++ youth is critical, and only going to be needed more, unfortunately, judging by political trends.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

Donation can’t be made by credit card?

For you guys yes, as always. The issue is that those donations go into the league PayPal account which then gets donated as a mass sum. Since the league has no credit card associated with it having a charity that accepts PayPal donations is far easier.

It isn’t a requirement but it definitely helps.

In the spirit of Christmas, or even just the holiday season and helping kids in general...we can donate to a toy drive.

Marine Toys for Tots is definitely the largest one in the US...

...and there's a Canadian one as well.

2 hours ago, der meister said:

I am a fan of The Trevor Project but they are only in the US. Unsure if there is a Canadian equivalent, but supporting and protecting LGB+++ youth is critical, and only going to be needed more, unfortunately, judging by political trends.

Outright International is an org that partners with local groups around the world to help advocate for queer youth and adults from fighting against conversion therapy to working with government groups. They don't accept PayPal, but seems like a wider impact (geographically) if you're wanting to support queer folks!

58 minutes ago, Gustav said:

In the spirit of Christmas, or even just the holiday season and helping kids in general...we can donate to a toy drive.

Marine Toys for Tots is definitely the largest one in the US...

...and there's a Canadian one as well.

I second Gustav! I’ve donated to Toys for Tots in the past and they’re a good charity. It’s fitting for the holidays and there’s a US & Canadian version.

https://www.efteling.com/en/about-efteling/organisation/sustainable-enchantment/social-projects/villa-pardoes

An unforgettable holiday

Villa Pardoes is an initiative of the Efteling Nature Park Foundation Efteling gives support by means of financial donations and sponsoring in kind, such as park visits and musical shows. Also, a lot of volunteer work is undertaken by (former) employees. 
In the holiday apartments of Villa Pardoes, children of 4 to 12 years old with a life-threatening condition have the greatest holiday ever. Together with their parents, brothers and sisters, they enjoy a holiday in Villa Pardoes free of charge. The accommodation has whirlpools, a large open fireplace, gaming computers and a sandpit with slide; everything to make the stay as wonderful as possible.

It's a charity me and my wife always donate to, not sure if there are any american/canadian equivalents, but seeing from upclose (from friends of us), how much care they take into this (efteling is the biggest theme park in the netherlands) I would love to be able to help them with your help.

Thank you for the consideration. 

( www.villapardoes.com site is in dutch only) 

Edited by OrbitingDeath

The Children's Tumor Foundation does a lot of great work combatting NF and developing new treatments as the work on a cure continues. I don't know if it 100% meets criteria but their work means a lot to me and I'd be remised not to put the foundation forward.