Thunder’s Wordcast for the Impaired Podcaster - Episode #11

Thunder

Welcome to the next edition of Thunder’s wordcast for the impaired podcaster.  I think this is episode #11, and if not, close enough.  For you first time readers/would be listeners, if I had the balls to podcast instead of wordcast, this is my version of a podcast, so sit back with your cup of coffee and read away.  Today’s edition is a little unique because I have been of the grid since Friday and can’t use anything of recent notability to give me some ideas to write about.  Being off the grid also prevents me from even knowing if my favorite podcasters, @JardyB10 and @Spartan  have any new material for me to enjoy.  And I won’t know until after I am finished with this wordcast because it looks like the power will not be coming back on for a while, which I will get into later.  Other news to bring up is an old discussion about the pro am, and of course it wouldn’t be a Thunder wordcast without talking smack about Brian Payne, @Scurvy.  Here we go…

Taking me out of the 21st century back into the rustic days started Friday evening.  Before I say anything though, you have to understand, this is coming from a spoiled person used to the comforts of the home.  Anyway, it was pissing down rain all day and the temperature wasn’t too bad but the wet chill just added to the need for comfort from inside the house.  The pellet stove was putting out heat to keep the house around 70 and the wife had left town for the night to spend the next day Christmas shopping with the in-laws, a tradition which I have always enjoyed for her to do.  It left me home alone with the dog.  Pizza was on the menu for the two of us.  And we woofed that down comfortably while watching some WHL hockey.  Portland was playing Seattle, two teams I cannot stand but it was on TV, so I was watching it.  I decided to cut the evening short and go to bed to read and fall asleep, already looking forward to getting up early for a good work out.

I was barely asleep when the first loud bang hit the house and scared the shit out of the dog.  I could hear the wind blowing pretty good as well as the rain pelting the roof, but the added noise of something hitting the house caused a little bit of “ahh shit.”  And then the ceiling fan went out, back on and then out again.  I knew it was going to be a good one because the house was attacked in succession with limbs from the neighbors trees crashing down making some horrific noise.  @Scurvy would be able to tell you that I am useless without my contacts in.  I saw no need to put them in just to go outside and weather the storm to say, “Yup, tree limbs came down on the house.”  Instead I closed my eyes and fell to sleep.

I woke up disappointed because usually the power is out for no more than 4-6 hours.  Without power still, I figured it was going to be a few more hours anyway, but I decided to get my fat ass up and check the damage.  The back yard was a war zone with limbs and branches all over, and the roof had been pelted but it didn’t appear to have sustained any damage.  The front yard wasn’t quite as bad.  Regardless, I grabbed the chain saw and went to work.  After about 2 hours I had the limbs bucked into workable pieces and most of the branches picked up, at least the bigger ones.  The yard waste barrel was full and I had a pile to fill it for the next 3 or 4 weeks.

With no power, it meant no furnace, no pellet stove, and no TV.  Futch!!  The house was crisp so I got a fire going in the wood stove and then grabbed the ipad to get on discord and check things out.  Oh shit, no internet.  No internet meant no discord.  No TV meant no football or hockey.  No electricity meant one bored dipshit.  The wind was still gusting but the rain had stopped for a bit, so I grabbed the dog and walked the neighborhood assessing the damage.  It still hadn’t registered how bad things were.  I talked to a neighbor who said traffic was dicked up and there were no street lights functioning.  Oh great, so much for doing much that day.

Sometime in the afternoon I decided to try to find out how serious the storm was and managed to get a short story on my phone saying that there were trees that fell on homes and such.  Guess we were lucky.  The wife text that her friend was trapped at the house because the power line was across the driveway and a tree on the ground.  It looked like over 100,000 in the county were without power, which told me its gonna be another day before we get power.  The wife stayed at the in-laws because they had power.  I had fluff a nutter sandwiches for lunch and supper.  My kindle was charged so I hit the rack early and read.  No hockey, no football, no VHL.  Life sucked!

Nothing changed with the power on Sunday.  The wood stove kept me warm and that was about it.  I picked up some more branches and when the wife came home she brought some Carls Jr, and an attitude that said she didn’t appreciate not having power in the house.  Well what the hell am I supposed to do!  I kept the fire stoked in the wood stove because I knew she’d want the heat.  She put a kettle of water on the stove to warm up so she could wash her hair before bed, and wanted to do grilled cheese on the wood stove.  At last check Sunday night there were still 80,000 without power.

That leads me to Monday.  This has never been as long without power.  Shit, we live in a city.  Small, but its still a city.  The thing is on the map all around us shows they got power.  The businesses are back up and running and areas around are back to normal.  Not us!  I step outside to the sounds of generators from all directions.  By now, the cell phone is on red begging for more juice.  I havent trolled on discord in 3 days, I have no idea what happened in my fantasy football league, and I don’t even know how the Bruins did.  I decided to take the dog and go for a ride to charge the phone.  I managed to check the latest tally and there were over 30,000 still with no power.  I reached out to @scurvy, to see if he’s out of power but got nothing back.  I take that back.  He’s got power so that’s good.  My brother filled me in on the Bruins match he watched where they were down by 5 and came back to win.  What a game to miss watching.  Oh well.

I heard on the news that they expect all power to be restored by tonight at 8:00 PM.  Its almost 4 PM and we still dont have it.  And while I was driving I saw some of the damage and it is safe to say that there is absolutely no way the power will be restored by tonight.  The lines are down all over the place and trees are still on the lines.  I’m not sure when they will be done fixing this mess.  And it just dawned on me, internet won’t be available until well after the electricity is fixed.  Oh shit, it could be a week before I read anything about the VHL or find out if jardyb10 or Spartan produced a podcast, let alone the pro am results.  Until then, I’ll just have to be patient.

That leads to the pro am.  Brian Payne is lighting it up for Team 1.  He’s dominating in goals, assists, penalty minutes, and is even fighting, although he still can’t win a fight.  On the other end of the spectrum, there is Jake Thunder, who is mediocre at best.  Slapping in an occasional goal, getting an assist once in a while, and barely holding his own on the hits and blocked shots.  Payne is definitely outshining Thunder in the pro am.  And judging from the trend, I dont anticipate any changes over the 4 days I will have missed because of this power outage.  Enjoy it while it lasts Payne because when the season starts and Davos meets up with Warsaw, its back to kicking your ass!

1461 words

Hopefully your electricity comes back soon! I’d be rather cross without power for that long. I’m sure my girlfriend would be delighted though.

Was your cellular network knocked out as well? You could VHL and Bruins off your phone, no?

I haven’t put out a 6 point podcast recently, but you may have at least one shitty short podcast to listen to!

Power back on last night so i could get on internet this morning.  Jardy you are missing out if you haven’t had fluff a nutter.  Its peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwich.  All protein, healthy, and good for you!!!

19 hours ago, Thunder said:

Power back on last night so i could get on internet this morning.  Jardy you are missing out if you haven’t had fluff a nutter.  Its peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwich.  All protein, healthy, and good for you!!!

Marshmallow fluff is nothing if not healthy and good for you!