S86 Moscow Menace Jersey Retirements

Spartan

:mos: :mos: :mos:

Hello everyone, and thank you for taking the time to read this announcement. Moscow retired two franchise legends' jerseys just two seasons ago, and we already have two more phenomenal candidates and their jerseys to raise to the Moscow rafters. This season's nominees are quite special to me, and hold some franchise history as well. They are just the second and third players in franchise history to play their full careers on Moscow, and the first to do so under my tenure. While the salary cap does its best to ensure parity and force difficult choices, these two players made it clear that Moscow was their home - and here they would stay.

Without further ado, lets get into the ceremony!

---

Centers in the Moscow organization simply seem to become some of the most underrated, yet most successful players in the league. While Duncan Idaho's on-ice play and success stole the spotlight for most of S78-S85, it was also this player quietly playing an invaluable role at the center position. In 576 games, he scored 276 goals (2nd franchise history), 381 assists (2nd in franchise history), and 657 points (3rd in franchise history). In the playoffs, he has 48 goals (1st in franchise history), 69 assists (2nd in franchise history) and 117 points (2nd in franchise history). Don't let all the second place finishes fool you: without this player, Moscow would not have been nearly as successful as a team. He served as the captain for multiple seasons (breaking the captain curse, might I add) and was an alternate captain for numerous seasons before then as well.

From a user perspective, I must say I've enjoyed seeing him get familiar with me and the organization. When we first drafted him, he had never played for Moscow - instead enjoying some productive time with Prague which I mainly associated with him. Even when we got to the first contract negotiation at the end of S79, I recall him being unsure with the team and wanting to wait for Hard Markinson to re-sign with the team. Once he signed, Moscow went on to two straight finals, and we were due for another contract negotiation. At that time, he said he wanted to stick around in Moscow for the rest of his career, which was a big jump from when he first joined the organization and was unsure. I'm just happy to have interacted with him for the better part of a year and a half, and to have just had a genuinely kind and passionate individual around the team.

Please congratulate our first candidate:

C - The Seabasstard - @Seabass

37_Seabasstard_V01.png

---

Our second candidate might simply be the best defenseman of this era. Special players don't come around often, but Moscow has been extremely lucky to have so many on the team at the same time. One thing Moscow has never lacked from S78 through S85 was a defenseman who could anchor the team, both defensively and offensively. This candidate has a full trophy case, starting with the Stolzschweiger in S78, three Labatte Trophies over S81, S82 and S84, and a Valiq in S84 as well. He is 5th in franchise history in goals with 191, first in franchise assists with 505 (second place has 381), and first in franchise points with 696. He also holds the franchise record for playoff assists and points, with 89 and 126 respectively. His points total fell just 3 points short of tying the legendary Scotty Campbell in the playoffs.

The user behind this player has been an absolute blessing to have around the locker room. He has served as my AGM for 5 seasons, helping me navigate the ins and out of the cap and giving me sound advice for roster moves and trades. Despite having a busy life and juggling the birth of his son, he's still found time to spend with us in the Moscow LR and has joined us to continue our gaming nights. He's been steadfast in his loyalty to the team and to me, and his patience through our struggles has been greatly appreciated. While he doesn't plan to recreate in the VHL for a little bit to take a short break, I know that when he returns, the league will be blessed with yet another phenomenal player. Whichever team is able to draft him will be extremely fortunate, and I can just hope that it will be us again.

Please congratulate our second candidate and VHL HOF lock:

D - Hard Markinson - @STZ

5_Markinson_V01.png

---

Congratulations to both, and I hope you stick around the LR and continue to stay in touch. Wishing both of you the best in your sim league and irl lives, and I hope that we can team up again at some point in the future!

(Obligatory @Beketov tag to add these banners to Moscow's retirement thread)

Was an honor to play my whole career in Moscow. Markinson’s career was just as fun as my first player and I never thought I’d say that when returning to the site. Big reason for that was management and the core players in this dynasty run.

Sucks we couldn’t get a cup - that will always eat at me. But what a fun time. Appreciate the words and recognition. Spartans created something quite special in Moscow.

• 1 month later...