Help Gustav Touch Grass

Gustav

Hi!

Those who know me know that I've recently moved, and I'm "settled in" enough life-wise that shopping for groceries no longer constitutes an adventure. I'm really happy that I've been able to manage things fine so far, that I've got a decent social life at school, and the like. Overall, stuff has been going just fine...but there's one thing that's gotten to me a little bit lately.

Now that I'm no longer putting things on shelves at a store over my weekends, I have absolutely no idea what to do with my weekends.

It's not to the point that it's affecting my overall quality of life or anything--don't worry about that, I'm fine--but I was bored out of my mind last weekend and I really don't want to spend tomorrow mostly sitting around inside like I did today. I love watching football, but there's only so much of that I can take.

So, I'm looking for ideas. What are some things that you do for fun when you have the time to do them? Preferably, I'm looking for things that are cheap or free and involve moving off my own property.

Go for a walk in the park, or downtown. That's what I did to "fight my anxiety" but I never could manage to talk to people. I'm not that type of person offline.

Easy things to do that don't cost much, disc golf doesn't cost anything to do, and tons of college kids are into it if you're somewhere in nature. Hiking, etc. All free. It's good for your mind to get out, and enjoy nature if possible. 

source: I spend all weekends inside cause I have no clue what to do cause I don't drive currently, and have zero hobbies besides gaming + sports leagues. It is affecting my quality of life tbh, but feels impossible to do stuff without a car.

Edited by CrookedAnt

When they say touch grass, it isn't just a joke. I'm a computer science student, and a fantasy and sim league addict, but I still go insane if I don't go outside every so often. I'm blessed to currently be backing onto a little forest area that I can explore, but even just doing some of the things you'd normally do, but outside makes a huge difference. Take your laptop and study or write a media spot outside, in a backyard or on a balcony.

That's how I stay sane at least.

personally what really helped was picking up a sport and going for it every weekend. it was my place to destress and zone into something apart from my studies. it gave me the "work-life" balance everyone preaches about and it makes you feel really good too

I’ve been going to the gym in the morning (anytime before noon) to help motivate my brain into not wanting to be lazy for the rest of the day. Even when I go for only 30-45 minutes, I feel like I’ve started my day right and the rest of the day has me wanting to stay active instead of sitting around.

When I’m on rest days or too lazy to go to the gym I just go for a walk around my neighborhood or local parks to get my body moving. I’m a true believer now that when you get up and get active, you’ll want to stay active and busy.

12 hours ago, Gustav said:

shopping for groceries no longer constitutes an adventure

the hardest part of living alone ngl. I still get this feeling even after a few months. It is so hard to decide what you are going to eat for multiple days in just a few minutes.