A VHL Veteran: Pierre Emile Bouchard

Gaikoku-hito

A VHL Veteran

It is hard to think that a young player like Pierre Emile Bouchard as anything but a VHL Veteran but by the books of historical keeping in the VHL this is what he is now labelled.

“I remember the draft like it was yesterday!!” stated the Veteran blue liner playing for the Vancouver Wolves. “I remember all the talk around possibly being selected first overall by LA Stars. While I didn`t see that as a realistic option since the team never reached out to me and I thought better players were available but dropping to fifth was a bit of a surprise. Being drafted by New York Americans was very interesting and I was really excited to help the team that drafted me. I knew I was going to play meaningful minutes early in my career as I assumed the team would then build around the core that they drafted.”

Then about halfway through the season the shocking news came that Pierre Emile Bouchard was traded to the Vancouver Wolves for Ryan, Van S85 1st & S85 2nd along with Rookie team mate William Futch. None of which has stayed property of New York Americans as Ryan was traded to the Toronto Legion and both picks would be traded to Malmo Nighthawks.

“It surprised me when I learned I had been traded. My player agent called me and told me that a trade including my name had been registered at HQ of the VHL operations and that I had been traded to Vancouver. I was shocked really as I didn`t even recall what I was trade for or that Futch was even included in the deal. But it was great being actually wanted as the GM of Vancouver reached out right away.” A distant looking Bouchard stated about the shocking trade that seen him now signed long term with the Vancouver Wolves.    

“What did I learn from that Trade?” Repeating the question that he was just asked. “Hum, that is a hard one to answer since I think I learned not to blindly trust management and be ready to do what is best of yourself and your career.”

“Do I see myself as a New York American if they trade never happened?” Again, repeating the question that seems a bit of a habit with this player. “No!!” stated with a smile. “Within the first few days or weeks I had already decided I was going to head to UFA and sign a contract elsewhere after my entry level contract was completed.” Again, stated with a bit of a smile.

“I didn`t like the direction that the team was heading and I will leave it at that. So, in some ways it was a very good trade by New York as they got somethings in return for me before I walked for free at the end of the contract.” Stated as he rolled his eyes to the upper left; clearly holding back some information.

“Vancouver was different right from the start as I liked what the management was stating as another team that was rebuilding. We were horrible on the ice and that lead us to drafting first overall” said with a huge grin. “We knew we would be getting better since Puk, Futch, Jimmy, Maple & myself were not that far away from making the jump and we had the first overall pick but we didn`t expect the off season that Vancouver would have in trades and UFA” again stated with a huge smile.

“Hard to believe one year after being traded to the team that we would be contenders so soon. I was ready to play the long game with Vancouver but the General Manager kept his word and turned the team around faster then I think all of us were expecting. That at the end of the day is also why I don`t feel like a veteran or even think I am a veteran yet since I have other than my Rookie season been playing behind some great players in Powers, Power and Cheese.” Slight smile comes across Bouchards` face. “Heck, I am still playing behind two of them but I guess I have Jimmy under my wing now since we are now partners as we were told we would be!!”

“Honestly, my advice to Jimmy so far into his rookie season has been easy. Enjoy yourself and simply play your game. My experience has taught me that it takes a team to be successful so hopefully we continue to build towards being a better team with a lot of good moving parts in youthfulness of the team and the true veteran players brought into the team to aid us learn.”

“What has been the biggest thing I learned so far from the Veterans?” once again stating the question back. “Trust yourself and your team mates. In the end everything will work out the way that it was meant too. Looking back already on my short career I would say that everything has happened for one reason or another from being drafted by New York, traded to Vancouver and signing long term in Vancouver. Now it just about enjoying, learning and then in the future teaching the other prospects, rookies what the current veterans have already taught me and also my future learnings. I am still have a lot to learn and I don`t feel like I am a veteran yet!!”

At the end of the day it looks like he has a bit more experience then he actually think he does. He is already showing some great Veteran leadership and presence in the lock room even if he isn`t aware of it just yet!!

• 6 months later...

Crazy how fast things progress in this league and looking back on writing this; winning a cup with Vancouver followed by Victory cup and personal awards. All completely unexpected at the time I wrote this; other than the hope that we would win a cup; I guess!!

Now we are aiming for more but one statement still ring true; Trust yourself and your team mates. In the end everything will work out the way that it was meant too."